Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A word of warning to MacBook Pro users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnomalusUndrdog, Nov 22, 2010.

1. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Don't close the lid until the shutdown process is complete!

I made the mistake of closing the lid before the shutdown was complete now it doesn't turn on anymore. The white light at the front lights up but the screen stays blank, and there is no startup chime.

I tried PRAM and SMC reset and it didn't work. Most likely we'll send it to the Apple repair guys but I fear they have to reformat the hard drives, making me lose my work.

Fortunately, I have a backup of my work in a flash drive but I lost 1 day's worth of work, so its not all bad.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

New to me that this causes problems.

What happens if you do it is that the device is put into standby and when next trying to open shuts down

3. Quietus2

Quietus2

Your motherboard sounds like it died.

I just had a 2008 MacBook Pro with the same symptoms. Evidently the graphics card ate through the motherboard, but as they couldn't turn it on at the store to verify that's what occurred...not covered under the Nvidia deal!

4. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Caused by overheating maybe? I use that Macbook as my dev machine so its always on pretty much everyday.

So my closing the lid before the shutdown was complete had nothing to do with it at all?

Maybe we should get a Mac Mini

So they couldn't repair it?

5. ctsteve123

ctsteve123

I have a MacBook Pro that had the same issue, two months ago. It would not turn on, but the Apple store was able to diagnose it. It was a defective Nividia Graphics card which had been recalled for my model. I did not have an extended warranty, but the Apple Store was terrific and they fixed it for free.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, that was just a coincidence. Closing the lid whenever won't cause any problems (would be a really serious engineering problem otherwise, given how laptops are typically used)...I've done it before.

--Eric

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Also be careful that when you close the lid thinking that you're putting it to sleep, you don't get anything caught in it like a strap from a carry bag, because if it doesn't quite close all the way it will greatly overheat and the fan will go crazy, which can damage the battery.

8. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

So after some searching on the net and I found that it could be one of two things:

1. logic board failure (very expensive and takes weeks for the repair to complete)
    2. NVIDIA chip failure http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

If it was the NVIDIA chip Apple said they would fix it free of charge, though its most likely not in my case since I don't hear the startup chime.

If you guys have the same problem, you can check here to see if your macbook pro is eligible for the free repair: https://roscomps3.securesites.net/www.nvidiasettlement.com/checkmodels.php

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

3D applications also fried my NVidia chip on my iMac this year (after only 18 months and of course no Apple Care). Bought a 13"MBP in replacement because I needed to get a Job done.
    Logic Board replacement ... too expensive at the moment (and especially waaay too time consuming).

I was hoping that the chip inside my iMac was a one-time problem. Apparently not.
    Good to know that in my possible further Apple computers there will only be ATI. °__°
    I'm on a PC again for exactly THAT reason. I can replace my parts myself, now. I love MacOS but damn ... :(

10. tosha96

tosha96

Something similar happened with my families iMac. Someone turned it off by pushing the button on the back, and apparently there is a 1 in a 100 chance that it will corrupt your OS beyond repair, and the only advice was to wipe the drive. Luckily we had time machine though.

11. thelim3y

thelim3y

Hi, I'm new here but thought I might be able to help a little.

I also own a mbp and until I installed smcFanControl I had pretty bad heating issues.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

I'm not saying it'll stop all problems but I've had a 2009 mbp as my main dev machine for over a year running the 9600GT and the only time it gets to dangerous levels is when I'm running something like netflix + another intensive program.

I strongly recommend letting a mbp cool down a few minutes before closing the lid.

Best,
    lim3y