Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity and C++

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by d0100, Nov 22, 2010.

1. d0100

d0100

Can I use C or C++ in conjunction with Unity? I have a C snippet that gathers raw input from the computer, and a C++ class to translate into mouse moves.
    I know there is the WinMultyMouseSDK wich is in C#, but I didn't want to learn C#. Do I have to?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well the main scripting languages used in unity are c# and unityscript, so you should probably learn one of them. Although I think you can use c and c++, then compiled them to a dll and use them in Unity as plugin, how ever it requires unity pro and it won't work on webplayer.

3. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

You could learn Unityscript or Boo, but if you're a C programmer I would recommend C#.

You should be able to adapt the C++ you have into a plugin in order to feed Unity input from multiple mice. From there, I suggest leaving unmanaged code behind entirely, learning C#, and enjoying the general productivity boost that writing Unity scripts will give you.

4. d0100

d0100

UnityScript is something else, or is it Javascript? I saw there are only Javascript, Boo C# in the Docs.
    What does Boo have in special to be used in Unity?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

It might be refered too as "Javascript" but its a unity specific language with no counterpart outside of Unity.

Boo: nothing, its just an alternative that is not c style :)
    Also it forms the base for UnityScript at all

6. justindarc

justindarc

Actually, from the syntax and the fact that Unity is built on Mono, the "UnityScript" language is really a minor variation of Microsoft JScript. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JScript ) - The closest thing to compare it to would be ActionScript 3.0.

7. dissid

dissid

UnityScript sure looks like ECMAScript, if you know one of them, it's easy to get into.

8. tatoforever

tatoforever

If you are a C/C++ programmer, you'll feel at home with C#. It have lots of similarities of Java and C++.

Tthe best thing to do is build a DLL C++ plugin, drop it into Unity Project and accees to it, create a wreapper or whatever you need.
    Cheers,

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  9. Ethan

Ethan

And if you want to use C/C++ plugins you need Unity Pro and C#. Only C# offers the interface to those plugins afaik.

It's easy to write the C# stuff for a C++ programmer - i started the same way :)