Search Unity

Android Sound

Discussion in 'Android' started by mole420, Nov 20, 2010.

1. mole420

mole420

I am new to Unity Android, i have managed to get most things i need working but i cant seem to get sound working at all, it works on the editor but once it is opened up on my phone nothing plays? i have tried using several different formats and compressions nothing has worked. any ideas?

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

What kind of device are you using? Currently only ARMv7 powered devices (officially the only supported CPU) will do audio mixing (because of lack of hardware floating point instructions missing on the weaker devices). The emulator does not support sound at all, iirc.

3. mole420

mole420

Im using a samsung i5800 nothing amazing using the universal setting to export it, this might explain why i have no sound then as its not a very powerful device

4. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

i5800 is currently not supported (officially) as it is based on a ARMv6 CPU. We however aim to broaded our list of supported devices, and the i5800 might in the next batch.

5. mole420

mole420

Had a feeling it would be my phone, thanks for the advice anyway. is there any sort of work around for getting audio to work, as everything else is running pretty smooth so far

6. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately no, except to wait for us to add proper support for the i5800; but the your report of applications running smoothly is a good indication for us to include support for it in the next release.

7. mole420

mole420

thanks very much for the quick reply's, and useful answers

8. mole420

mole420

I tried to send a PM but could not so thought i would just post here and hope you see

I am currently studying Computer game design in university, and im on my finial year. for my final project i must design and create a game of my choice with an engine of my choice. i decided on Unity3d and must say i have found it the most user friendly engine i have used. I have created my game for android, it is still in very early stages but need to have it tested by people. i was wandering if i was to send an .APK file if you would be able to test it very quickly and give some feedback. it is currently only a single level for testing and demoing. i completely understand if you do not have the time.

9. Wozik

Wozik

well, may be other forum user do have time ;-) try to create a special topic for this

10. PolyMad

PolyMad

Sorry if I take over the thread a bit but I read that Unity Android only works on ARM7? I've read some days ago around in the forum that it works also on ARM6, did I miss something?
    I just bought HTC Hero which has ARM6 :mad:

11. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Where did you read that?
    Since 3.0 release it has been ARMv7 only. During the beta period there was support for ARMv6 _with_ VFP but in order to take advantage of ARMv7 architecture it was dropped with one of the RC releases. (The Hero does not have VFP). This requirement is also listed here.
    Yes, there is an experimental universal device filter option that might make the game run on Hero (we are actually interested to get performance figures from that device), but 'experimental' means 'not supported' (ie you cannot rely on it working, bugs reported on it will not get a lot of attention etc).

12. PolyMad

PolyMad

Surely my misinterpretation on some post... about VFP and such... I'll sell this and take another one :|