Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I will pay someone to show me how to integrate admob

Discussion in 'Android' started by benhigg, Nov 19, 2010.

1. benhigg

benhigg

Okay, I've put up questions on here and on Unity answers, and I'm not getting much out of it. I've read about plugins and how they work, and I've looked at google's info and admob's wiki, and I'm stuck. It's not clicking. I don't get it.
    And I'm desperate.
    Okay, not desperate. But really want to get this working.
    If anyone has figured this out and knows exactly how it works, and knows how to use Skype screen sharing, I will pay you through Paypal to walk me through it. All I need is once. If I can just see the process, I know I can figure it out, it's just not getting through my skull at the moment.

Reply here or send me a PM with when you'd be available to do this and how much you want for it. Or if you're a kind and generous person who is willing to do it out of, well, kindness and generosity, I'd much appreciate it, but I'm at the point of being totally willing to pay someone.

2. benhigg

benhigg

I'm having trouble just getting started. I tried using the plugin example, but saw that I needed the NDK. The NDK doesn't have a lot of actual instruction, but it does say you need GNU Make. I went and downloaded GNU Make and run the configure, and it sits there saying Configuring MAKE for DJGPP.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, if these are the right steps, or what. Once I get Make working, I have no idea what to do with it. It seems like everyone is assumed to know how all this stuff works. That's why I'm at the point of saying that I will pay someone to walk me through it. From starting with only Unity and Eclipse and getting all the way to having a working app with ads.

3. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

You don't need the NDK for a basic, first-attempt to integrate AdMob into your application. Here is a 'complete' project with AdMob integrated. (I say 'complete' as you always need to customize it, tie it to your AdMob publisher ID etc etc).
    The README.txt explains what steps I took to create the project.

Attached Files:

4. defjr

defjr

Thanks, Erique!

5. benhigg

benhigg

Thanks much Erique. It took a bit, but I think I'm getting it.
    Sort of.

It seems to be running in my app, except for two things.
    First, it didn't autolaunch the app when I ran Build Run in Unity like it normally does. I was able to launch it from the phone after that, and didn't see any errors in the logcat. It seemed to launch everything and ran the AdMobActivity (I changed the name of the class to just AdMobActivity, is that the problem?)
    Second problem, now that it's launching, it doesn't seem to actually be requesting ads. Admob is not showing a request, even though it did for the test program you put up there. I'm using a different app and publisher ID from Admob, but I've made sure that's all right. The only thing I can think of that I've changed is the AdMobTestActivity.class.
    I went through and built the plugin from scratch and just brought code over from the test app, changing it as it needed.

Any ideas?

6. benhigg

benhigg

Heh, nevermind. That was it. I just needed to change it back to admobtestactivity and it worked great. I thought about it as I was typing, so I went back and tested it. Works great.
    Now I just need to figure out how to get it to only show up when I want it to. :)

Thanks for all the help everyone. That was getting really frustrating.

7. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

For that you probably want to call Java from C#, and the only way to do that currently is through JNI. JNI generally means writing native code, but if you take a look at the OpenFeintFacade sample the native calls there are wrapped into C#. You still need to understand how JNI works (specifically Accessing Fields and Methods).

8. benhigg

benhigg

Thanks again Erique. Seeing that example made a ton more sense. I've got it integrated into two things now and have earned a whole $1.25! Woot.

Anyway. I noticed that the games are showing over 14 MB on install now. I didn't think anything I added with the plugin should be that big. Just to compare, for one game I have a lite and a paid version. The only real difference is the ads and less levels on the lite version. The lite is 14 MB and the paid is still 9 MB, so it definitely is the plugin that is making the difference.

9. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Make sure both apps are installed to the SD card: 14 vs 9 is pretty much exactly the difference between installing to internal phone mem and external sd card. (the admob stuff should only add about 150kb (org.example.AdMobTest.jar + admob-sdk-android.jar))

10. benhigg

benhigg

I just checked both of them that I've done. I see the move to SD option, but its grayed out. On the regular version of one it has the move to phone option available.

11. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Oh yes. By overriding the manifest you also override the default behavior of installing to external media. You can solve that by adding android:installLocation="preferExternal" to the manifest, as explained here.

12. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Oh, finally I know how to move Unity game to SD-card!
    thanks

13. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Unity already does this for you, unless you are overriding the manifest (in which case I recommend reading the official Android docs before doing so).

14. darthEez

darthEez

The tutorial was great, thanks Erique. I have ads up and running!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to align the ads to the bottom rather than the top. Is there something I can add to the manifest to move the activity to the bottom of the screen?

15. ezone

ezone

Not to the manifest, but you can change the relevant part of 'AdMobTestActivity.java':

Code (csharp):
    2. import android.view.Gravity;
    4. LinearLayout layout = new LinearLayout(this);
    5. layout.setOrientation(LinearLayout.HORIZONTAL);
    6. layout.setGravity(Gravity.BOTTOM);
    7. addContentView(layout, new LayoutParams(LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT,LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT));
    9. AdView adView = new AdView(this);
    10. layout.addView(adView, new LayoutParams(LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT,LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT));
    Make sure you rebuild the .jar file -- I thought the build script took care of that, but you need to use 'ant' to do a manual rebuild.

16. darthEez

darthEez

Awesome! Got it working, thanks a ton!

17. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

hey I havnt been able to test it yet, but basically I can load this project, add my scenes, change the id, and it should export with admob? (sry if it sounds like a dumb question lol)

18. mmuller

mmuller

erique,

How would I go about integrating this to an already developed game. I am on the verge of going through the final build / bundle / upload to market process and am not sure whether to go paid or ad for revenue...

If its easy I may just try the lite/paid way of doing things on android but don't want too many headaches this late on in the process. Is it as straight forward as the instructions you posted in the ZIP file or is there a lot more to it. I have an admob account setup so have all the ID's and SDK's etc etc

Any information would be greatly received,

Regards,

mm

19. Morothar

Morothar

I really can't get it to work. No matter what I try, I always receive an onFailedReceiveAd (right after being told that no ads are available). Won't work in testmode either. I was guessing it might be a layout problem, the adview being to small, but on the other hand people got it to work with the examples here.
    Only thing I'm unsure about is how to make sure admob knows my app id right. Is it the package name in the manifest?

Who got admob to work with unity on android and which problems occured?

20. Morothar

Morothar

Great, as it seems my code isn't the problem... if using the lunar lander sample with my own pusblisher id it doesn't get any ads as well, even in test mode....

21. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hello I had the problem because few categories were activated.
    If it is the case you can try to activate all of them.

22. Morothar

Morothar

Okay, as it turns out, everything was implemented just right, been a problem with admob as it seems. started the app today and it served ads right away. 6 hours of trying to find an error wasted. :-/

23. taomorpheus

taomorpheus

HI community! I am trying to use adMob and I have started with this example.

I don't know why (after compiling with ANT) unity gives me this error while I Build for android:

Building DEX Failed!
    C:\unity\adtest\AdMobTest\Temp/StagingArea> java -Xmx1024M -Djava.ext.dirs="C:/unity/android/platforms/android-8/tools/lib/" -jar "C:/unity/android/platforms/android-8/tools/lib/dx.jar" --dex --verbose --output=bin/classes.dex bin/classes.jar plugins
    Error: could not open `C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\i386\jvm.cfg'

UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Do you know what is it?

PS: I normally build my project with unity android. I tried to reinstall, set again all the PATH oj jdk,ant,jre, android. BUT nothing. I've heard that there are some problems with windows 7 x64... I need x86 for that? I hope not.

EDIT: I've solved installing JRE 32bit, not 64! Thanks anyway

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  24. ashish

ashish

Anyone give me a simple unity3d project in which admob plugin is present....

25. christo

christo

Has anyone figured out how to integrate this into an existing project? I can't figure out how to get the admob activity to run at the same time as the unity activity

26. Prakash

Prakash

Erique,

You done great job.

I have one confusion that where I need to put ant SDK and how can I compile jar file using it? Do you have any video tutorial for more reference?

Please help me on this.

see below screen shot for reference:

$Screen shot 2011-03-05 at 7.08.31 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  27. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

When executing ant it will look for build.xml in the current folder. You can point it to read the build.xml from somewhere else by adding -f path/to/the/build.xml.

28. Navinfo

Navinfo

I went through the steps but I couldn't get the plugin to operate. I rewrote both the "device_id" and "publisher_id", then I rebuilt again, but after the building and runnin of the device nothing happened. The "adb" didn't write out any information about any ads would have been received. I use Unity 3.2 and Galaxy Tab. So please give me advice, what could I do?

29. Celulonio

Celulonio

Hi!

What changes should I do on 'AdMobTestActivity.java' to move the ad to the left of the screen and oriented it vertically as a column?

My app Player settings-->default orientaion--> is landscape

On 'AdMobTestActivity.java', I tried to set orientation to vertical (layout.setOrientation(LinearLayout.VERTICAL)) but it seems to have no effect.

Thanks!

30. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

I'd like to add AdMob to my Game.

We just do that? It is hard to understand Endlish...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) Update the ANT build scripts to match your system:
    android update lib-project --path ~/AdMobTest/Assets/Plugins/Android
    2) Edit the AndroidManifest.xml and set your AdMob publisher ID
    3) Add the ID of your device to the list of test devices.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<There I did>
    1. I did "/Plugins" of erique attached to my Unity game's root directory.
    2. I modified AdmobID to mine in AndroidManifest.xml .
    3. I did below script.
    ------------------------------
    $ android update lib-project --path /MyUnityGame directory/AdMobTest/Assets/Plugins/Android
    ------------------------------

Is it all?

31. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

No, you also need to build the .jar file with your changes. If you never integrated Admob into a regular Android application I suggest reading the admob docs and try it out on a simpler scale first.

32. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Though I haven't tried it I think you can rotate the View and then align the rotated view to the left/right side of the screen. That is all done using regular the Android Java Framework, so I would study the docs at http://developer.android.com. Possibly there are some additional information coming from Admob on how to do this.

33. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Make sure the Admob View is actually added to the View hierarchy. You can add calls to android.util.Log in the code to verify everything the code flow.

34. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Make sure you are standing in the directory where you unpacked the plugin (or alternatively, use the '-f <path to build.xml>' option to ant).

35. DanTreble

DanTreble

Ha ha ha, not a chance. This beat me and Prime31. Best you can do is visually rotate it, but the clickable area doesn't rotate with the webview the ad is displayed in. The other option is to counter rotate your game!

36. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Though that sounds like a bug in the Android framework then? But you could probably intercept the click events and transform those too..

37. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

erique ! thank you for replying

I did it like below. Is it finish?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    shinriyo:Android shinriyo$ ant -f build.xml
    Buildfile: /Users/shinriyo/Documents/unity_app/deckzom/Assets/Plugins/Android/build.xml
    [setup] Android SDK Tools Revision 12
    [setup] Project Target: Android 2.2
    [setup] API level: 8
    [setup] Project Type: Android Library
    [setup]
    [setup] ------------------
    [setup] Resolving library dependencies:
    [setup] No library dependencies.
    [setup]
    [setup]
    [setup] WARNING: Attribute minSdkVersion in AndroidManifest.xml (7) is lower than the project target API level (8)
    [setup]
    [setup] Importing rules file: tools/ant/lib_rules.xml

help:
    [echo] Android Ant Build. Available targets:
    [echo] help: Displays this help.
    [echo] clean: Removes output files created by other targets.
    [echo] compile: Compiles project's .java files into .class files.

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
    Total time: 1 second
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but warning is occurred .
    however, I set level7 in Build setting->Player Settings->Inspector of Unity..

38. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

The warning can be ignored. But you need to add 'compile' to the command line to build it (as the help suggests). I.e.
    $ ant -f build.xml compile

39. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

Thanks for your quick replying

I did it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buildfile: /Users/shinriyo/Documents/unity_app/deckzom/Assets/Plugins/Android/build.xml
    [setup]
    [setup]
    [setup]
    [setup] WARNING: Attribute minSdkVersion in AndroidManifest.xml (7) is lower than the project target API level (8)
    [setup]

-dirs:
    [echo] Creating output directories if needed...

-pre-build:

-resource-src:
    [echo] Generating R.java / Manifest.java from the resources...

-aidl:
    [echo] Compiling aidl files into Java classes...

BUILD FAILED
    /Developer/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/ant/lib_rules.xml:126: Reference android.libraries.src not found.

Total time: 4 seconds
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BUILD FAILED" was occurred.
    And I added 2lines below after " <setup />" tag.

87 <path id="android.libraries.src"><path refid="project.libraries.src" /></path>
    88 <path id="android.libraries.jars"><path refid="project.libraries.jars" /></path>

$ ant -f build.xml compileBuildfile: /Users/shinriyo/Documents/unity_app/deckzom/Assets/Plugins/Android/build.xml
    [setup]
    [setup]
    [setup]
    [setup]

-dirs:
    [echo] Creating output directories if needed...

-pre-build:

-resource-src:
    [echo] Generating R.java / Manifest.java from the resources...

-aidl:
    [echo] Compiling aidl files into Java classes...

-pre-compile:

compile:
    [javac] /Developer/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/ant/lib_rules.xml:162: warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to /Users/shinriyo/Documents/unity_app/deckzom/Assets/Plugins/Android/bin/classes

And I build again.. is it finish for adding admob?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  40. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

<There are all I did>

1. I did "/Plugins" of erique attached to my Unity game's root directory.
    2. I modified AdmobID to mine in AndroidManifest.xml .
    3. I did below script.
    $ android update lib-project --path /MyUnityGame directory/AdMobTest/Assets/Plugins/Android

I added 2lines below after " <setup />" tag.

87 <path id="android.libraries.src"><path refid="project.libraries.src" /></path>
    88 <path id="android.libraries.jars"><path refid="project.libraries.jars" /></path>

------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------

41. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

I installed Android machine.
    however error happened.
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

42. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hi!

I got it to work before I saw this thread, silly me. But it is actually pretty simple once you figure out what to do or find the right document to read. This is the document I read before I ran into this one. look at the section called 'Extending the UnityPlayerActivity Java Code'

in this page: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Plugins.html

If you need help let me know. I'd be happy to help. I'm brand new at Unity but I've been doing JAVA for almost a decade and Android for 1 year. So if there's anything I can offer to this community let me know, hopefully I can also get lots of help on the Unity aspect of things from here too!

43. BeforeTheLight

BeforeTheLight

Ok so I have been at this for 2 days now and my problem I do not think is anything in unity. I cannot get a sucessful build in ant no matter what I do. Here are my steps.
    1) I downloaded Android admod sdk
    2) downloaded ant and this project.
    3) set environment variables in control panel/system/environment variables
    4) Android update lib-project --path my game path
    5) change manifest to my I d
    6) ant create-jar compile or ant compile
    And I get build fail no matter what I do. 6 errors from admobtest about cannot import unity 3d, adView.anything does not exist. Please anyone help. Will post error file when I am at a computer. Thanks in advance.

44. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hi BeforeTheLight,

I'd like to help. Please check the section 'Extending the UnityPlayerActivity Java Code' in this link http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Plugins.html

Now that you've read it. I'll tell you how I got it to work. The easiest way for me since I already build android apps on eclipse is to set up an android project in eclipse that extends the unity activity. This is what you can do.

Basic android dev setup:
    1.) install eclipse
    2.) download android sdk, put it in anywhere on your computer unzipped
    3.) install the ADT plugin to eclipse
    4.) download admob sdk ( only really need the jar file )
    5.) in eclipse, click file -> new project -> android project
    6.) make the admob sdk jar part of the class path
    7.) do that admob code and config you would do for any normal android project so you have a blank android app that just shows the ad

after these few steps you will be able to build a standard android project that just shows an admob ad, no unity dependencies yet. If you need help with this part let me know before going on to the next part. I will also come back to attach the android project so you can just download it and save you all this work.

The reason I setup a project in eclipse is so that I can easily customize the activity and do all the cool android stuff I need in the IDE, eg add the admob ad, facebook api, or anything you can do in android.

Unity integration:

Now that you got a standard android project it's time to integrate with unity:
    1.) locate classes.jar that's referenced here http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Plugins.html and make that part of the build path of your android project
    2.) change the main activty so it extends the unity activity
    3.) now right click on the src folder and export as jar to your unity /Asset/Plugin/ folder
    4.) copy your manifest there too
    5.) copy the admob jar there too

now when you build the unity game for android you will have the save android app running, except the game is now displayed.

Now, any unity game you make, you can use this same eclispe android project, just do the last 3 steps and it will enable admob to your new game!

Let me know if you need help, I'm typing this at work so it may be pretty poor.

45. BeforeTheLight

BeforeTheLight

Ok so i took a few hours and tried this. Setup Eclipse and android building projects to phone. Good. Now ADMOB!! I used the tutorials online but none of them are working. I can build a project with all the admob stuff in it and nothing. Cannot even get a test ad. What is the new test ad code. The one on the sdk page doesn't work. maybe if you could get that build up i could have a chance. Thanks.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just in case not everyone here is aware of it, there is an Android admob plugin available from http://prime31.com/ with a support thread in this forum. I was using the free admob plugin here but switched over to the prime31 version - it simplifies things immensely (no need to rebuilt the jar, for example).

47. BeforeTheLight

BeforeTheLight

Ok got a eclipse ad to run. Now to unity. Found classes.jar and added to java build path. What do I need to make this unity ready? To the main activity?

48. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Yay! Now copy the classes.jar to a lib folder in your eclipse project.

In eclipse right click the classes.jar select build path or something along those lines, and select add to build path

Now you can open the main activity that eclipse created. Make it extend the unity activity which it now knows about cuzz of the classes.jar you imported.

You now can do anything you want to your activity and when done, export the src folder as a jar file and put into your unity android plugin folder and its done!

49. BeforeTheLight

BeforeTheLight

I tried of but it would not work.

50. BeforeTheLight

BeforeTheLight

Keep getting force close. Maybe ill just give up. Thank you very much for the help.