Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Object visible by camera?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ratamorph, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ratamorph

ratamorph

Forgive me if this is trivial... I need a function to test if a given Game Object is currently visible by the camera.

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

There are several ways to do it.

OnBecameVisible and OnBecameInvisible functions in any script are called when game object becomes visible/invisible to any camera.

OnWillRenderObject (new in Unity 2.0) is called on any script when object will be rendered this frame for some camera. Inside this function, Camera.current is the camera that will render the object. If object will be rendered by several cameras, OnWillRenderObject will be called multiple times.

And finally, GeometryUtility class allows you to test visibility manually (by doing bounding box vs. camera frustum intersection test).

3. ratamorph

ratamorph

Thanks that works pretty well, what if I want to test if an object is occluted?
    Seems like the OnBecameVisible and OnBecameInvisible ignore occlusion.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Unity does not do occlusion culling, i.e. it renders everything in camera's frustum. Of course there's nothing stopping you from doing some sort of occlusion culling yourself, targeted at your specific game.

But if you want to test occlusion, you'll have to do it yourself somehow. Occlusion is a complex topic though...