Search Unity

getting input from "Mouse ScrollWheel"

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ryuuguu, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

I am trying to get input from the scroll wheel. I know that the scrollwheel works in in the IDE. I reset the the input settings to element 8 is "Mouse ScrollWheel"
    My code is

Code (csharp):
    2.     def Update ():
    3.         Debug.Log("got here");
    4.         if (Input.GetButton ("Mouse ScrollWheel")):
    5.             Debug.Log("${name}");
    6.         delta = Input.GetAxis ("Mouse ScrollWheel");
    7.         Debug.Log("${name}::${delta}");
    (the code is boo but just pretend it is JS that looks funny)
    The code is called because Debug.Log("got here") prints and Debug.Log("${name}::${delta}") prints but with 0 for delta always. Debug.Log("${name}"); does not print. This is unity 2.x I have tried both an apple mouse and my logicool mouse.
    Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Grant

2. Samantha

Samantha

Hmm, it does appear that ScrollWheel input is not working correctly. We'll get this in the pipe and fix it asap. Sorry for the inconvenience!

3. MatthewW

MatthewW

We've seen that scroll wheel works on some mice/inputs but not others. On a few machines here it sometimes work for external mice (but always for the trackpad). The same machine will go back to working later; no idea why!

4. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

Just rebooted and mouse is plugged in a different port and only one mouse this time. Mouse works, trackpad does not for scrolling in ap. both work in IDE Scene.

Cheers,
    Grant

5. AaronC

AaronC

Maybe a little "Scrollwheel to switch weapons" in the fps tutorial once things are up and running in the examples areas?

:idea:

AC

6. Darkrobyn

Darkrobyn

Is there any new information on this issue? I'm using Unity 2.0.2 and I can't get the Mouse ScrollWheel to work at all (MacBook Pro + Mighty Mouse, MacOS 10.5.2)... It's critical for my project!

Thanks...

--
    David Robinson
    Coole Immersive, Inc.

7. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

This sounds a lot like the still-open bug I filed about 8 months ago, 11489.

Basically scroll input will only work for one input device, and you have to restart Unity to change that one.

So if you have a trackpad with scrolling, and a mouse plugged in, only one will work at a time.

-Jon

8. Lamarr

Lamarr

I know this is an old thread, but I just encountered this bug in Unity 2.5.0. Is it still not fixed?

When I run my game, either in the editor or as a stand-alone binary, my mouse's scroll wheel does not work. Only the trackpad works for scrolling, but I normally have the trackpad disabled when a mouse is connected. I also tried a trackball. Same result. These are both Logitech devices.

This bug only occurs under OS X. The same code in the same game works fine under Windows (Vista, to be precise) on the same machine.

I can't believe this bug is still not fixed after 20 months. It's critical. I can't release my game with the caveat that the scroll wheel may not work under OS X. What would my customers think? Please, please fix it or provide a workaround ASAP!

BTW, is the Unity bug database available online? Being able to see which bugs are known and what their status is would be very helpful when strange behavior like this is encountered.

Hjagu likes this.
  9. magwo

magwo

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

If you haven't already, be sure to file a bug report. The devs don't always catch things posted on the forums.

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Negative, it appears to be un-fixed. I checked the original bug (#11489) and it's open against engineering but clearly not fixed in the shipping build.

We can't get to everything and sadly some stuff, like this issue, can unfortunately slip by a bit longer than they ought to. When you encounter situations like this don't just vent here, ping someone (me! :)) and let me know so I can add fresh comments to the internal bug to float it back to the top if necessary (in this case I've already done that now).

No, our bug database isn't publicly available.

12. Lamarr

Lamarr

I understand that you need to prioritize bugs, and some bugs will end up at the bottom of the pile. I'm a programmer, and I know that zero defects is an unrealistic goal. I was just surprised that a bug that probably affects a lot of people could go unfixed for so long.

Maybe most Unity games don't use the scroll wheel, but most shooters and RPGs need it to control camera zoom, weapon selection, or scope zoom. I'm making a shooter, so having a working scroll wheel is important to my game.

Thanks, Higgy! I appreciate you updating the bug. I didn't mean my comment to come across as a vent. I love Unity and UT. Thanks to you guys, I'm finally able to make my lifelong dream of creating my own game happen -- as soon as this bug is fixed. :p (I'm actually at least six months from being done with my game. Hopefully the bug will be fixed by then.)

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Look, in my world the occasional vent is a necessary thing to do. I just want to be sure that the energy expended in venting does more than just heat the air around your steaming noggin'! As such I offer myself as a sounding board as I can take the commentary and hopefully put that to use through bug nudging and whatnot. :)

So no worries on the commentary, I just wanted you to know that I'm here if/when you come across something like this again in the future. Rock on!

14. AaronC

AaronC

so the issue is with multiple devices then? Thats how I read it, because my mousescroll works here:
    Code (csharp):
    1.     var currentWeapon = 0;
    2.     var numWeapons = 1;
    3.     function Awake () {
    4.     // Select the first weapon
    5.     SelectWeapon(0);
    6. }
    9. function Update () {
    11.     // Did the user press fire?
    12.     if (Input.GetButton ("Fire1"))
    13.         BroadcastMessage("Fire");
    15.     if (Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") < 0){
    17.       if (currentWeapon + 1 <= numWeapons){
    18.        currentWeapon++;
    19.        } else {
    21.       currentWeapon = 0;
    23.          }
    24.            SelectWeapon(currentWeapon);
    25.             } else if (Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") > 0){
    27.               if (currentWeapon - 1 >= 0){
    28.          currentWeapon--;
    30.           } else {
    31.    currentWeapon = numWeapons;
    32.    }
    33.    SelectWeapon(currentWeapon);
    34. }
    35.     if (Input.GetKeyDown("1"))
    36.     {
    37.         SelectWeapon(0);
    38.     }  
    39.     else if (Input.GetKeyDown("2"))
    40.     {
    41.         SelectWeapon(1);
    42.     }  
    43. }
    45. function SelectWeapon (index : int) {
    46.     for (var i=0;i<transform.childCount;i++)
    47.     {
    48.         // Activate the selected weapon
    49.         if (i == index)
    50.             transform.GetChild(i).gameObject.SetActiveRecursively(true);
    51.         // Deactivate all other weapons
    52.         else
    53.             transform.GetChild(i).gameObject.SetActiveRecursively(false);
    54.     }
    55. }
    I cant speak for multiple devices but this works for my mousewheel.

HTH
    AC

15. Lamarr

Lamarr

Yes, the issue is with multiple devices (but only under OS X, not Windows).

I'm using a MacBook Pro, and Unity only recognizes the "scroll wheel" on my trackpad. It ignores the scroll wheel on my mouse. Since I normally have my trackpad disabled when a mouse is connected, my game receives input from neither scroll wheel.

Oddly, the Unity editor has no trouble receiving input from both scroll wheels.

16. AaronC

AaronC

Hmm Im using a macbook pro too with a mouse so its obviously a sometimes bug. I'll shut up now as I dont really have anything useful to offer.

good luck

AC

17. Lamarr

Lamarr

Interesting. What type of mouse do you have? I'm using a Logitech MX Revolution. The bug also occurs when I use a Logitech trackball. Perhaps the bug is triggered by the Logitech Control Center software.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Could be; some input software like USBOverdrive doesn't work well with Unity, where scroll events are detected in the editor, but not in a build. I switched to SteerMouse, which works fine in both cases. (I filed a bug about the USBOverdrive behavior nearly 3 years ago, which is still open, but I don't blame UT for not getting every third-party hack to work....)

--Eric

19. AaronC

AaronC

just a $2 USB "elecom" found in the specials box at my local computer store.

AC

20. Lamarr

Lamarr

I've confirmed that this bug is triggered by the Logitech Control Center software. I uninstalled the software, and the scroll wheel now works fine. Unfortunately, this means losing access to all the cool features of my mouse. So I installed SteerMouse, and the scroll wheel continues to work fine. :D

Uninstalling the Logitech software also fixed a problem I had with WoW: Whenever I used the scroll wheel in WoW, the pointer was reset to the upper-left corner of the screen. That doesn't happen now.

Clearly Logitech's Control Center software is causing the problem. This may not even be a bug in Unity. However, Logitech mice are popular, and most people who buy Logitech mice are going to use the Logitech software that comes with the mouse. So if there is any way the devs can correct or work around this issue, I would really appreciate it. I can warn my customers that the scroll wheel won't work if they use Logitech's software, but I would prefer to have it just work.

Thanks to everyone for your help in deducing the real cause of this issue!

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

FYI: I've referenced this thread in the bug itself so details like the above can be used as necessary when fixing this issue. Thanks!

22. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

I am experiencing no mouse wheel control in the Game view window, although it is working fine in the Scene (editor) view window.

I'm on a MacPro and using a Logitech MX510 optical mouse. I obviously don't have a trackpad, but I did have a Microsoft Xbox 360 controller plugged into the USB port. Removing the controller had no effect, and I am still unable to use the mouse wheel in the running game. I also had the Logitech Control Center installed, but have since uninstalled the software. There was no apparent change in the mouse wheel behavior after uninstalling.

I have built the Unity game to both an OS X Intel Standalone and Windows Standalone app. I checked the Input tab on the options menu that appears when you first run the app against the Project Settings > Input values in the Inspector, and noticed that "Mouse X", "Mouse Y", "Mouse ScrollWheel", "Window Shake X" and "Window Shake Y" do not show up. I'm not sure if that's important or not. I have right-clicked the "Input Manager (Input Manager)" component heading in the Inspector and chosen "Reset" numerous times, but that hasn't helped.

I have not installed SteerMouse, since the mouse wheel seems to be working well in every other application I've tested it on. I'm not expecting SteerMouse to change anything.

Is there anything else I could try? Are there any demo applications that use the scroll wheel? A robust "Test Input" application demo would be great.

23. AaronC

AaronC

24. Lamarr

Lamarr

They don't appear for me either in the settings dialog. I think that's normal. You're fine as long as those settings show up in the Input Manager.

I don't know why the mouse wheel isn't working for you. Are you sure Logitech's software is completely uninstalled? Did you reboot after running the uninstaller?

25. roychr

roychr

Hi,

I have a logitec MediaPlay wireless mouse and i also suffer from no scroll wheel axis in the runtime under windows. I am running under a Dell Inspiron 9400 with 1gig ram Radeon Mobile x1400 version.

everything is a charm except this, is there a parameter i have to set in the project input manager to get scroll wheel working in the first place ?

here is my simple update function

Code (csharp):
    1. function Update() {
    2.     if (target)
    3.     {
    5.         if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W)  (target.position.z < z_bound_max))
    6.         {
    7.             target.position += (Vector3.forward * speed) * Time.deltaTime;
    8.         }
    10.         if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.S)  (target.position.z > z_bound_min))
    11.         {
    12.             target.position -= (Vector3.forward * speed) * Time.deltaTime;
    13.         }
    15.         if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.A)  (target.position.x > x_bound_min))
    16.         {
    17.             target.position -= (Vector3.right * speed) * Time.deltaTime;
    18.         }
    20.         if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.D)  (target.position.x < x_bound_max))
    21.         {
    22.             target.position += (Vector3.right * speed) * Time.deltaTime;
    23.         }
    25.         if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Q) || (Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") < 0))
    26.         {
    27.                 zoom -= 1;
    28.                 zoom = Mathf.Max(zoom_bound_min, Mathf.Min(zoom_bound_max, zoom));
    29.         }
    31.         if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.E) || (Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") > 0))
    32.         {
    33.             zoom += 1;
    34.             zoom = Mathf.Max(zoom_bound_min, Mathf.Min(zoom_bound_max, zoom));
    35.         }      
    36.     }
    37. }
    i have an isometric camera working pretty well but zooming with the mouse is impossible it seems and look like a bug since all other apps including the Unity IDE is working.

26. MadMax

MadMax

I have this with my logitech G9. Hope its fixed soon!

27. vileda

vileda

28. Passero

Passero

Just wondering... I am using win vista and a lachize mouse but i also have some issues...
    WHen i use the scrollwheel i get a positive value when scrolling up but he does not seem to detect the scroll down. Is this the same bug or is this something else?

29. cj-currie

cj-currie

+1

Bump.

The most recent Unity build (2.6.1f3) does not have it working on my configuration yet (MBP, OS X.6.3, Microsoft Arc Mouse).

30. Socapex_2K

Socapex_2K

Unity 3.1.0f4, I am having the problem described here on a MacBook Pro 4,1 using a logitech Revolution MX wireless usb mouse. My track pad mousewheel works perfectly, but not my mouse (the logitech mousewheel has NEVER worked in play mode as of this writing). Unity editor recognizes the logitech mousewheel.

Can I say? Version 3 and still not fixed!? To unity techs, if this bug is supposed to be closed, I will give any information you need to help out. You could also reopen the bug.

Cheers,
    hope this gets fixed.

31. mohydineName

mohydineName

Same issue here. MouseWheel down.

32. Falin

Falin

sorry for the bump but by me the scroll wheel is not working in the game window(i have magic mouse but i tried 4 different mouses with scrollwheels).
    I posted my input manager below because i found it a little empty :)

Attached Files:

33. Falin

Falin

*bump* anyone knows the answer?

34. marwa

marwa

I think the error is here:

Input.GetButton ("Mouse ScrollWheel")

this is not working with me but when use the following it works:

Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel")

35. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Marwa, I don't think that's the issue we're having. Most of us are hopefully using GetAxis or GetAxisRaw.

Just to alert everybody, I've submitted a bug report on this one too.

Logitech M505 wireless mouse on a MacBookPro i7 dual core. The scroll input works fine from the trackpad, but not at all from the mouse in game view or in builds. It works fine in editor view.

I tried uninstalling the mouse software, but that didn't help - and even if it did help, I'd still have a problem because I use their software to customize the buttons.

Perhaps Unity needs to start getting the input from somewhere else - like wherever it gets it for the editor view, since that seems to work for everybody.

36. mindlube

mindlube

I've not been able to get Input.GetAxis ("Mouse ScrollWheel") to work, either. I even tried a new empty project to make sure the Input Manager settings were all vanilla.
    -Mac standalone build
    -OS X 10.6.7 iMac
    -Apple magic mouse

The really bizarre thing, is this is a workaround which I discovered. No idea why this works, but GetAxis doesn't?!
    Code (csharp):
    1. public void OnGUI()
    2. {      
    3.     if (Event.current.type == EventType.ScrollWheel)
    4.                  // do stuff with  Event.current.delta
    5. }
    This really seems like a bug with Input Manager on the Mac, to me.

Edit: I tried an old logitch optical corded mouse, and it works fine with the GetAxis(). So I guess it's just the new wireless mice that have trouble?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  37. femi

femi

For me mouse wheel works (Unity 3.3.0f4; MacOSX 10.6; Logitech cordless M305 as well as old corded Logitech). But the scroll "speed" differs uncomfortably between the actual mouse weel and MacBookPro's trackpad scroll gestures (the mouse feels ~100 times "slower" - i.e. scaling the axis 100 times makes the mouse wheel usable, but the trackpad - too "fast").

This difference is only in at the game time, the scroll/zoom speed in the editor feels right no matter which device.

38. WoodJazz

WoodJazz

Yes I have same issue with Apple magic mouse. Scroll wheel is not working at all with this mouse.

39. syzygy

syzygy

MacBookPro osx 10.6.8
    Unity 3.4.1f5
    Logitech VX Revolution cordless usb mouse
    Logitech Control Center 3.4.3 (just updated)

So I am having the same symptoms in osx. Everything works fine in win7. Something I notice is the mouse scrollwheel zooms Unity's SCENE window camera just fine, but in the GAME window Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") and Input.GetAxisRaw("Mouse ScrollWheel") do not get the scroll. I think it has to be in Unity, not the Logitech Control Center...

40. mindlube

mindlube

Can someone confirm if GetAxis() works with scrollwheel with wireless mice in Unity 3.5b6? I don't have a wireless mouse to test with at the moment, and would like to get rid of my OnGUI() workaround if possible. Thanks

41. syzygy

syzygy

MacBookPro osx 10.6.8
    Unity 3.4.1f5
    Logitech VX Revolution cordless usb mouse
    Logitech Control Center 3.4.3 (just updated)

I can confirm that scrollwheel via GetAxis() is osx, Unity 3.5b6 works now! Thanks Unity people, I can develop in osx again... :)

42. Lewenos

Lewenos

Code (csharp):
    2. //Counts every frame scrolled up with mouse scrollwheel.
    3. var UpCounter : float;
    7. //Counts every frame scrolled down with mouse scrollwheel.
    8. var DownCounter : float;
    12. //Counts +1 when scrolled up, and -1 when scrolled down.
    13. //So its the current mouse scrollwheel position after started the game at mouse scrollwheel position on 0.
    14. var MouseScrollPos : float;
    20. //Updates every frame. (Change to FixedUpdate if problems).
    21. function Update() {
    24.     //Does said things when mouse is scrolled up.
    25.     if(Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") > 0){
    26.         Debug.Log("Mouse Scrolled Up");
    28.         //Adds and deletes numbers from assigned variables.
    29.         MouseScrollPos ++;
    30.         UpCounter ++;
    31.     } else {
    32.         //Tells if you got an error on up scrolling.
    33.         Debug.LogError("Something is wrong with the up scrolling");
    35.     }
    39.     //Does said things when mouse is scrolled down.
    40.     if(Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") < 0){
    41.         Debug.Log("Mouse Scrolled Down");
    43.         //Adds and deletes numbers from assigned variables.
    44.         MouseScrollPos --;
    45.         DownCounter ++;
    46.     } else {
    47.         //Tells if you got an error on down scrolling.
    48.         Debug.LogError("Something is wrong with the down scrolling!");
    49.     }
    50. }

43. jorgon

jorgon

I can go down and up through the set of weapons once. After the first turn of selections it doesn't work. It works at first time but then no signal of working. Why?.

44. jorgon

jorgon

It works: I've got a printing which continuosly affect me in this way. I can switch perfectly.

Thanks.

45. ps2goat

ps2goat

+1
    I'm in 5.3.6f1 and my scrollwheel is not responding. I only have one device, a Logitech MX518.
    I've got the scrollwheel axis working with the + and - keys to allow zooming with the camera, but the scrollwheel is completely ignored. The 'Mouse ScrollWheel' axis is configured to use the default value of the 3rd axis, and the value returned from Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") is always 0 when using the scrollwheel.

I should also mention that I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro. I see other affected devs seem to only have the issue on a Macs.

46. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Your issue is unrelated to this bug. Please post the code for the script where you make the call to Input.GetAxis() so we can try to narrow this down (also please be sure to use code tags, as explained in the sticky thread at the top of each forum).

While you're at it, go into the Input manager in Edit -> Project Settings in Unity and confirm that the axis "Mouse ScrollWheel" exists in the list, that the spelling and capitalization are exactly as you're using them in your script, that the type is set to "mouse movement" and the axis to "3rd Axis", that the gravity and deadzone values are zero and sensitivity is .1, and that you're calling the Input.GetAxis in Update and not LateUpdate or OnGUI or anything like that.

47. imaliasad

imaliasad

I'm using unity 2017.3 and my Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") is not working either. I'm using Logitech mouse

48. squarelover

squarelover

not working mac os unity 2020.1f microsoft mouse

49. Jelligeth

Jelligeth

Using 2019.2.1f1, Input.GetAxis("Mouse ScrollWheel") is not working for me either. I'm just using a generic mouse.

50. Hjagu

Hjagu

using 2021.3.0f1 and it is not working fo me either. i have a Logitech mouse and i'm runing windows