Search Unity

Asset Store Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skarz, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Skarz

Skarz

Hello, I had a few questions regarding the asset store:

1. Is there online documentation on using the asset store (by "using" I mean submitting and selling items as a developer)? For example, I saw in another thread that you can put a license.txt file in the root of your asset package to override the default store one- where does all this knowledge exist?

2. How would free updates be handled if I made a tool and wanted to get an enhancement or bug fix out to my customers?

3. Do you get access to your customers emails (or through some store mechanism) in order to alert them of tool updates?

4. Can you somehow attach your tool to Unity's licensing system to verify your customer is legal (to deter piracy)? Any other recommended solutions to deter piracy?

5. Is it possible to have a limited time sale on your store item (is it easy to change your sale price)?

6. How are payments handled to the tool author?

7. Is there a webpage or something similar to track sales data of your store items?

8. Is there a Unity roadmap anywhere? I think this is very important if you now have developers wanting to put effort into creating new tools for Unity so effort is not duplicated or a new tool made quickly redundant by a new Unity feature released in an update. It will be much more beneficial for everyone if the communities development focus works along side of Unity's own internal development-- it will help the product grow faster while also giving you happy co-developers willing to keep creating tools for Unity.

Thanks for any insight to the above! If #1 does not exist, I would very much suggest getting that documentation/FAQ out as soon as possible. Thank you!

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

3. The dropdown basket actually tells you if you are up to date or not and offers you the possibility to update if required.

4. The store already handles this as the downloads appear in the basket thingy on your account post buying. you don't get a download link.
    Given that its put into unity and that it is at max a .net assembly, you can't protect it any further than this anyway without making it pro only (through native code usage)

8. No, no roadmap UT shares with its licensees. There was a single exception in the past 3 years where they offered a very short term roadmap but that basically was it.

1,2,5,6,7 are something for support mail I guess at least at the time.
    Should you get answers on it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear about it :)

3. zelk

zelk

9. Can a user without Unity Pro sell assets in the Asset Store?

4. impheris

impheris

good question...

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

9. Yes, anyone can submit content to be sold on the Asset Store.

6. digitalgamer

digitalgamer

Is the Asset Store actually part of unity 3.1 or something because i have not updated yet but cannot find a store website anywhere. Also is it in the free version also or just pro?

Since i can't find any info about it i am also wondering what sort of price ranges are products price at? And can i buy things with paypal?

If anyone knows that would be great as the Asset Store sounds cool, thanks

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Correct its part of Unity 3.1

The price range is what the dev decided on. The code addons go into the >= $100 range (EZGUI, Sprite Manager 2, ShaderFusion)

8. digitalgamer

digitalgamer

Thanks that was quick, i will have to update then i think. :)

What about the payment methods, i only ever buy with paypal these days so i am really hoping that is a option?

9. JayTheMan

JayTheMan

the asset store has some good stuff