Search Unity

In-game browser - Awesomium wrapper for Unity

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by rasmusbs, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rasmusbs

rasmusbs

I'm in the making of a wrapper for the awesomium library. So far I'm getting decent perfomance results and I think this wrapper could be useful in creating an in-game browser for Unity.

The project is still under development but so far the following is working.
    • Render of websitets
    • Flash support - Install flash plugin for firefox
    • Mouse input (Scrolling also supported :) )

You can find the project on github here:https://github.com/kamante/UnityAwesomium
    See build folder for quick demo of wrapper

Screenshot:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Neodrop

Neodrop

Awesome! Keep your work, please!

3. KITT

KITT

Amazing!!

4. Jordii

Jordii

Wow man, that looks very promissing :)

5. niosop2

niosop2

I think there is already a showcase thread about integrating Awesomium into Unity. The big problem is the licensing on it is not very friendly to Indy shops, so a wrapper for Berkelium (http://www.sirikata.com/blog/?p=115) was being worked on. It seems to work pretty well, except for handling dirty rects and scrolling (last time I looked anyways).

If you are pretty proficient, you may want to search for the Berkelium thread and see if you can move that project forward.

6. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Fantastic, this can be a very good way to show in-game ads for Unity games. By the way, is the plugin for Windows or also for Mac?

7. xomg

xomg

I would also encourage this approach, unless there's really an advantage to using this commercial library over the existing Berkelium integration project. I would personally prefer to use a free and open source library than a commercial one, assuming their feature set is comparable.

You're going to hell, just like the guy that immediately suggesting this upon seeing the Berkellium browser in Unity. Is this really the first thing you think of when you see something as awesome as an in-game browser? If so, there are much easier ways to do this than embedding an entire HTTP rendering engine inside a game.

edit: apologies for being so direct, but I adhere to the Bill Hicks approach to advertising, especially if it's embedded inside a game.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. liverolA

liverolA

amazing,please keep up the great work

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Considering my admob game is financing my real game and its free, well... yeah I advocate ingame advertising. I think its pretty cool. The problem is people don't want to pay for jack. Where does that leave food on my table?

I'd like to see Bill make a living doing games.

10. Racer Delux

Racer Delux

Flash is good and all, but I would live to see the Unity in game browser support Unity as well =P
    (just imaging, a game in side of a game in side of a game)

11. liverolA

liverolA

did you guys test the project yet? i got an error : Dllnotfound expection....(winxp with u3f5)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Haha someone had to think of it. But chrome isn't far away from supporting native unity... We could end up with a 2 mirror effect endlessly repeating unity till it crashes.

13. Racer Delux

Racer Delux

Or perhaps make a game where the point is to get as many games within a game opened before your browsers (or computer) crashes. It could be a new standard to test computer power!

Sounds like an OS conflict.

Back to the browser, I could see some great use for this, perhaps allowing the player to have a game guide (or console codes for the modders out there) open in their game. I know quite a few people who could use this (including myself)

14. xomg

xomg

Make a good game and people will pay for it. I can't imagine that shoving adverts into a poor game is a good way to fund yourself, but if it's working for you then hey, that's great.

And of course the game itself would be running inside a virtual machine inside a virtual machine inside a virtual machine inside YOUR MIND ARGH!

You could do all sorts of "fourth wall" breaking stuff with this (or the free and open source version that's already been mentioned), such as having account management and news for your game in there, or create some kind of puzzle game involving following a trail through web sites, or the sort of metagame mentioned above, or even just a fancy web browser in a virtual office, etc. Any kind of craziness you can dream up.

Or yeah, you could spam adverts and popups with it.

15. liverolA

liverolA

OS conflict?how to fix it?

16. MrDude

MrDude

Are there any known osx options available?
    I know there is one for the iPhone and a few for Windows, but the OSX one stopped working in U3 so now I am wondering:
    "How can we do this on a Mac?"
    p.s. the whole copy pixels thing, fine, but clickable.... oh the drooling mouth that is mine...
    Any ideas?

17. Racer Delux

Racer Delux

I am not 100% positive this is what is wrong, but if you are running windows xp, and the code was written on windows vista, then some directory conflicts could be present.

If this is the case, some code that detects the os will fix the problem (I think).

This complicates things a little bit. I do not know if the same method used at this time would work on a mac, or if it needs to be recoded.

18. liverolA

liverolA

win7 also get the same error... (vista sucks)
    anyone else tested this?

19. reissgrant

reissgrant

Licensing is the reason I abandoned my Awesomium integration.
    Check out the Berkelium thread as it does the same thing (built on same platform, Chromium wrapper) and does not have the same limiting license.

20. JeDi

JeDi

Someone implemented the mac version of the Berkelium wrapper. Just have a look at the end of the thread. I still don't have even the slightest amount of time to spare working on the project, but it is supposed to work great. Thanks for anyone putting their effort in it. If I can remember correctly, someone even implemented scrolling support too.

By the way, I have to admit that Awesomium is a much cleaner library than Berkelium; which is not that weird since the guy creating it makes a living out of it. Especially the javascript integration works very well. I only implemented basic javascript integration into the Berkelium wrapper, but it does work. I worked with Awesomium at my day job until they decided to commercialize it (which, don't get me wrong, can be a good choice if that means that the quality improves a lot). Berkelium is just another option for projects that need a more open license.

Greetz,
    JeDi

21. duke

duke

Is this supported for web-player?

edit: Good god you could have a bit of a looping problem if you can :p

22. Trane

Trane

So obviously I wont create a virtual/reality wormhole by simply manifesting an Awesomium Web browser page with the URL address of the same Unity3D world that I'm currently in. Is that how PORTAL is done?

Would be cool to see! Guess I'll have to give it a try... what the worst that could happen....?

- The guys in Cern ain't got nothing on my virtual super collider!

23. michael bricout

michael bricout

Hi,

This plugin seems to work only on Standalone.

Is there a way to have the same solution under Webplayer ?:rolleyes:

24. okokok

okokok

it posible to play ON ANDROID ?

gnchishti likes this.