Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Labyrinth of Despair [ WIP ]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Kyuss77, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

FadeWalker Games is proud to announce that development has begun on their first game, Labyrinth of Despair. Currently under development for the PC and Mac. LoD is a third person action puzzle platform game. In LoD you, the player, are challenged to navigate the perilous labyrinth seeking your way to freedom. The endless system of tunnels is wrought with traps and puzzles to bar you escape. To test your steel and resolve you are also stalked by a great beast of legend, the indomitable Minotaur of Dekar.
    Planned Game Features
    - 3rd person action puzzle platform adventure.
    - randomly linked maze section provide a challenge to solve and increase replay value.
    - No health bar – Get hurt in a trap and risk death, crawling is no way to outrun a minotaur!
    - Modern graphic engine with beautifully rendered realtime environments.
    - Trump system – Cynical talking statues provide clues and misdirection along your journey. You will need keen logic, a thick skin and a bit of luck to decipher their clues.
    - Leader Boards Online – How long can you survive in The Labyrinth of Despair! Post your best times for the world to see.
    More to come !

*** You may have to refresh the page a few times for images to appear. Until I find a better host for the web site ***

Click here to see the current Web Build!

Fadewalker Home Page

FadeWalker IndieDB Page

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Love the name. Nice and old-school.

EDIT: Plus, great use of the word 'indomitable' :)

4. JRavey

JRavey

These should be an instant thread lock and warning. You can edit your original post as it is and looks self-important. =/. Do you any screenshots?

5. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Sorry, I read the Showcase rules post in the above stickies and it did not indicate that reserving a space was against the rules. I did check first. I wanted to use the second space to accumulate images. ( which I have posted some to now ) Did not mean to offend.

6. JRavey

JRavey

Don't read too much into my opinion, but I am probably not alone.

The characters look well enough, but the demon might be hard to see. Still, I look forward to seeing the game. I enjoy games like how this one sounds.

7. okimoki

okimoki

huh? i dont see anything except the title image..

8. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Try to refresh the page. The images are there, my web host is a little slow it seems. GoDaddy Linux server. I may need to upgrade that.

9. LamentConfig

LamentConfig

I think you do, I've refreshed a few times and had the demon appear a couple of times, but pretty random if it appears or not - from what I can see though, it looks great :)

10. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Hopefully the images are working better for people to see. As the project picks up steam I am definitely going to upgrade / change web hosts. Go Daddy has been technically sounds, easy to use and has good customer support, but the server seems very slow at times.

Aside from that, work on LoD is coming along nicely. This week has mostly been consumed with weighting the models and preparing for animation. But A lot of future features have also been tested in unity.

These include -
    -Skinned cloth tests for the plume on the main characters helmet.
    -Interactive cloth tests for spiders webs within the labyrinth.
    -Player controller and camera movement experiments. ( which will take some time to refine it seems )
    -Texture tests in game, and they looked great ! I'm really excited about the quality presentation that unity's textures and lighting can produce.

You can follow me on Indie DB now, and if you like what you see please friend me there! The more the merrier!

http://www.indiedb.com/members/fadewalker

And of course on my official web page, which is growing slowly as I have time to update it.

http://www.fadewalker.com

Cheers !

11. arbbot

arbbot

The concept art seems very cool. Keep us updated with your progress !!

12. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

13. Sollthar

Sollthar

His arms wave about too much. He looks rather stiff that way.

Other then that, great work!

14. Mixamo

Mixamo

His head moves to much, when you walk forward your head should remain looking forward. Sollthar mentioned the arms, agreed. The arms move to much for a simple walk and his spine is very stiff, the shoulders and collar bones should move more. I know it's still early but I wanted to drop some tips on you before you get way to far to make corrections.

I'm interested in this game, my company allows for re-targeted animations from motion capture, we could possibly help you with your animations. Give the website a look over and try it out if you want (free to try). Let me know if you have any questions. (also note the promotion in my sig.)

The link to the website can be found in my Sig.

15. okimoki

okimoki

hmmm.. must say, from the first still image i taught that your character is a woman :) and from the animation i get the same feeling.. I guess its because of the pony tail on the helmet and the cutout on the chestplate - which is in the shape of breasts - and honestly, doesnt make any sense since his heart is exposed ;)
    just my oppinion..

16. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

@ Sollthar and Maximo Thanks for the comments. It is just a weighting test, not an animation test. I'm just documenting the project as it evolves.

@okimoki lol, It doesn't have to make sense. It just has to look cool in a dark dungeon light by torches!

Here's a funny shot of the main character dead. Done in Blender.

17. MrSmive

MrSmive

some real nice work mate, your hero character could do with some scratches, cuts and bruises, its a deadly labyrinth after all not a bounce house lolz.

18. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

@MrSmive Good point. I need to play with some textures to see about swapping them for bloodier ones as you get injured by traps and what not.

19. MrSmive

MrSmive

oh man was hoping you would do something like that, do love dynamic damage textures, they really add some serious level of immersion, plus it shows your skills, later levels less scratches = better player lolz, cant wait to see it mate.

20. ChimpKing

ChimpKing

Love the concept art. One problem with the model of the player though. The armor is only texture(I think). It isn't actual armor. Real armor juts out and is stiff. The pelvic armor is bending with the leg movement. Seems like it should be stiff and rigid.

I don't model (so don't kill me if I'm wrong), but to me it seems like it should be that way.

21. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

@ChimpKing Thanks for the comments. If it was heavy plate armor I would make it more rigid. But it is just a decorative leather armor. I originally didn't want him in any armor, but he looked kind of boring. So I made him some decorative leather pieces. With the in game lighting you see little detail just nice highlights from the torch lit dungeon.

I need to get some playable stuff up, so you all have something else to critic besides the models :) lol. Animations are near complete, I should have some in game stuff soon.

22. ChimpKing

ChimpKing

Ahhhh... leather armor.

Wouldn't heavy plated armor with scratches add more intensity to the game though?

At anyrate, can't wait to play the game!

23. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Ok, here is a first look at a Web Build ! I'd like feed back on the overall look and feel. Bear in mind a few things please.

Not only is this a One Man Project, yup just me, but it is the very first game I have ever tried to make.

The traps are very rudimentary and have no scripts attached yet. So they wont hurt you.

The player controller does not yet have any functionality for getting hurt / dying yet. And his crawl animation needs work still.

Enjoy the hall of doom ! lol

Labyrinth of Despair Test Web Build

24. drillfoot

drillfoot

I liked the web build! It is a nice room type demo. The spider web affect was neat. Keep up the good work

25. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Thanks !

I forgot to mention the controls for now are -

WASD = move
    Space = jump
    Shift = croutch

26. okimoki

okimoki

looks good! left and right turns are a little bit fast.. like.. you press A and it turns almost 90 degrees instantly.. it feels off to me..

27. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Minor Update.
    - adjusted turning speed to feel more controllable
    - added blood ! Yeah !
    - When you crawl, the character controller scales down so you don't collide with objects above your head
    - you now limp when hurt and die after so many injuries ( you heal if you make it a ways past the traps )

I'm fighting with sounds now and getting footsteps and trap sounds to match animation is a challenge !

I'm getting close to having everything at a prefab level and can start making the labyrinth.

Web Player Link

28. Artimese

Artimese

Loving the concept and art, HATING the controls, like first walking then running, it will definetly get some players angry, just make him run, and the camera is quite annoying, i suggest a rotation camera with the mouse instead of just the position of which the player is moving in

29. Blacklight

Blacklight

I like the idea, but I have to agree with Artimese, the game could greatly benefit from a different control system. Perhaps a more fast paced version of the Dead Space or Grand Theft Auto controls? As in rotating the camera around the character with the mouse, and having the character move in whatever direction the camera is facing.

30. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Thanks for the comments. I tried it with an orbit camera, and it is a lot better. That is exactly why I want people to try it at this early stage. I'm a one man team, so getting other peoples opinions really helps!

I'll update the web player later today with better controls.

I think I licked my audio troubles too, animation events to the rescue !

31. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Ok, yet another update !

- Changed camera to orbit.
    - Added a lot of sounds ( thank you animation events ) footsteps, getting hurt, trap sounds, back ground ambiance, etc.
    - Updated the metal texture to look a little more shiny.

The webplayer is up to about a 15 meg D/L at this point with all the audio.

Check out the newest changes here !