Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yes, all UI elements are using Unity's GUISkin system - you can individualize every single dialogue if you want to.
    ORK doesn't require Unity Pro.

Porting to C# going quite good, but wont be ready before this weekend ... my hands hurt from all this typing :D

2. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Can you do separate screen battle system with this? or this something we have to script ourselves?

3. gamingislove

gamingislove

If you mean displaying multiple cameras at the same time - no, that's not in the kit.

C# version on the way ... a few more days :D

4. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

not multiple cameras. I'm talking about having them fight in a different map like most traditional RPG have it.

5. Scryer

Scryer

Hey if you can do it in a week or two, then do it in a week or two... and I'll buy yours for much cheaper. :D

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

Ok, that's not exactly possible. You can't load a new scene for the battle and switch back to the old scene after it - that would make everything kinda complicated in Unity (if you want to save the position of all objects in the old scene).

But you can fake it :D
    E.g. in the demo game, if you run into an enemy, you're transfered to the place where the actual battle arena (the component that actually handles the battle) is positioned. Just create a small battle map in your scene (far away from the other things in the scene) and put all your battle arenas there. When the battle starts (using the battle agent component) your party will be automatically transfered there (and back to their old positions after the battle). The actual battle would be in the same scene, but will look like a different map.

To stop all other actions in the scene, just make them dependend on ORKs control mode (what you actually should always do when scripting your own things, e.g. your own player/camera controls). You can learn more about scripting with ORK in the >scripting documentation< - Chapter 1.2 on page 4 has some infos on the control modes.

Regarding C# version: I've finished porting the code :D
    I'm now running tests (and fixing all the stuff that doesn't work^^) ... expect the release for Saturday or Sunday!

7. 3Duaun

3Duaun

great to hear the new C# release is coming
    any change for a holiday discount for ORK?

8. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

haha, so pretty much we have to hack setup it to make it work lol. No problem that reminds me of the old days with rpgmaker 2000.

I'll just create a bunch of prefabs of battle rooms and call them when needed. Shouldn't be a big problem.

BTW, you should have your own private forum on your site for your kit for better support.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  9. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Version 1.0.1 released
    I'm happy to announce the release of the new version of ORK. This version contains the C# scripts - so ORK is now officially available in both JavaScript and C#. You'll get both versions on purchase!

It also comes with some new features:
    • Item Collector: Easy item placement and pickup in scenes (uses the new item prefab settings)
    • start Game Events via key presses: e.g. to create a camera system that allows switching between different camera positions
    See the >changelog< for all changes in this version.
    Also the documentation has been extended by the new features.

@zhx
    There'll probably be a discount around Christmas, but I can't guarantee it.

@DigitalShock
    Once this thing is big enough there will be a support forum on the site - but currently there are other priorities :D

10. Hans

Hans

nice work gamingislove.

going for it - looking forward to the new features u have put in

11. 3Duaun

3Duaun

excellent news of the C# port so soon!!!!

question, are you using a messenger system with a "dont destroy on load" type of setup?
    are you using listeners much?

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'm using singletons and a few "dont destroy on load" for music and gui handling, no listeners :D

13. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Hey I was very impressed by the demo, I don't even have any plans to make an RPG and I'm tempted to buy :)

Just a quick question, is it possible to have team members who you can buy as an item? For example if you had a military RPG and you wanted to hire mercenaries to join your team, once they're dead they can't be revived but could be purchased again. Can something like that currently be done? (I have some great ideas for a game if that's possible)

14. gamingislove

gamingislove

Well, it's not really possible through items - but you could do this with the event system (like the dialogue based shop in the demo).
    I'll add some new settings to the characters (that they can't be revived and automatically leave the party if they're dead) to allow those things!

15. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Awesome, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this :)

16. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Quick question, not sure if the demo has an option, but how do you access your menu screen?

17. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

does this kit store its db in an sql lite db?

18. gamingislove

gamingislove

The kit doesn't have a (stats) menu, this is currelty in development as an addon and will hopefully be released before christmas.
    The data is stored using XML files.

19. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Have you considered storing data in a database?

SQLite can be used easily without having to configure anything... and it shouldn't be to difficult to "upgrade" the engine so it can also use other databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

I know SQLite would've been easy to use (I've been working with MySQL and SQLite in java application development for years), but I decided a database is impractical for the data structure of the kit. The XML node scheme gives me full and flexible control over complex data settings.
    But if someone really needs a database, all you'd have to do is change ORKs XML handler to interact with the database, although the data structure behind it is really complex.

21. Hans

Hans

Hi gamingislove

I see you have redone your web site - looking good.
    also looking forward to the addons for ORK

22. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

sql lite would have been perfect for us since we want iphone develppment, I don't belive we can use your current database setup for iphone. I would want to know if this is something you plan to implement? or something we should to look to do ourselves?

edit:
    or do you believe your xml structure will work fine on mobile device?

23. SteveJ

SteveJ

Why would the XML data currently being used NOT work on the iPhone?

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

because U3 iOS non-pro can't use System.XML at all

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  25. SteveJ

SteveJ

Ah OK - didn't know that. Seems like an odd omission.

@gamingislove - *cough* Video overview *cough* ... just a little reminder :)

26. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not that odd actually, with system and system.xml included the compile become that large that the iphone sdk refuses to link the app, to get around it you need stripping which is a pro only feature.

Prior iphone 1.6 it was not disabled and lead quite some threads on the link error

27. SteveJ

SteveJ

I like you Dreamora... you always have an answer :)

28. Hans

Hans

@gamingislove

You planning any Tutorials?

29. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

so the only way this kit is possible is with iOS pro?

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

On the iOS: If it uses System.XML then yes unless you replace that whole part with something thats available

31. tatoforever

tatoforever

There's few XML parsers on the wiki, quite tiny that does an awesome job.

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

First thing I did when developing ORK was writing my own little XML parser to have control over the data. In a running game the XMLs are read using TextAssets and Resources.Load - in the editor with the StreamReader, saved with the StreamWriter.

So, yes, there is no reason this shouldn't work on iOS, and you wont need the Pro version for this. But it's still untested, since I neither have an iPhone, a Mac or a licence for it (yet :D).

@Hans+geppetto
    Video tutorials will come soon, I'm working on it :D

33. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

I see, excellent news! One thing i see that won't work is the terrain. That's an automatic no, no. But we already prepared for that :D.

@dreamora
    What he said base on what you know, is this true?

34. Dreamora

Dreamora

If he does use an own one it should potentially be fine.
    Its still a "requires testing" thing to be fully sure as not all namespaces and functionalities that .NET offers on the desktop but it sounds much better than with the expectation of System.XML :)

35. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

excellent news. We are just awaiting for our paypal accounts to be topped off so we can purchase our licenses. Will find out if this will work on Monday :)

36. 3Duaun

3Duaun

has anyone tested ORK on iPhone basic or iPhone pro? any issues

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK uses some things from System.Collections (ArrayList, Hashtable, Dictionaries, ...) and System.Enum for enum parsing. The rest is pure Unity stuff.
    Except for reading/saving XML in the editor - that uses System.IO.StreamReader/StreamWriter to always have the latest file without reimporting. In a running game XML's are read with Resources.Load on a TextAsset.

I'm working on tutorial videos, expect the first this weekend (will be about item creation and placing in a scene) :D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  38. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

lets get the stats menu up asap! that's very important feature I'm surprised you don't already have!

39. Hans

Hans

well i think he wonts to get it out in december......i am looking forward to it too :)
    Also the tutorials - witch i hope there will be a few of them

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

Menu system is in development - currently in the final planning phase (never develop anything without a plan, or you have to do many things twice :D)...

First tutorial should be ready tomorrow, gotta tweek it a little bit here and there.

41. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Excellent, make sure its very customizable!

look forward in seeing it!

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

That's the way of ORK - everything customizable :D
    Will also include features like dropping an item back into the world (and saving it's position, like e.g. in Fallout 3 style games).

Had no time finishing the tutorial yesterday, will come today!

43. RoyS

RoyS

Very much looking forward to that. I would pay more for that feature alone!!

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

45. producer

producer

This is a very cool product, just played the demo.
    Looking forward to your add on's of the store, stats. etc.
    Great price for what you have done.

46. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Can your next tutorial be about events placements. Can't seem to get them to work.

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

Next tutorials will be about setting up your player for interactable events and setting up events.

@producer

48. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

When will that release date be expected by?

49. gamingislove

gamingislove

Next tutorial comes on Friday.

50. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

btw, how do we access any updates for the kit? do we get a profile page on your website that will allow us to download it again?