Search Unity

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. drewradley

drewradley

I would love event steps for "Show Image" and "Play Movie" for those of us with Pro.

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

iOS tests doing great, seems like everything works just fine :)

@drewradley
    Pro features aren't coming that soon, but you can use the Send/BroadcastMessage steps to implement them for now.

3. drewradley

drewradley

Where exactly does it call the functions from? I mean I get what it does. I may not be much of a programmer but I get the basics and I know what function is, but I just don't get where this calls them from. I mean, how would I use the Message steps to show an image?

4. gamingislove

gamingislove

The functions are called in the components of the actor you selected. Since you can add and remove components in the event system you can use messages like this (after writing a component script with your function):
    1. add the component with your function to an actor
    2. call the function with send/broadcast message on the actor
    3. remove the component from the actor

The function needs a variable with type string (in C#, String in JavaScript), so it should look something like this:
    C#: public void CallMe(string str)
    JS: public function CallMe(str : String)

News on ORK 1.0.8:
    Update will also contain skill casting times. A skill with a casting time can optionally be cancelable, so they will be cancelled if an attack (which is set to cancel skills) hits the skill caster while casting :)

5. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I should be able to figure this out now.

6. drewradley

drewradley

In "Spawn Prefab"step, how do I add prefabs to the list?

never mind. Figured it out.(set the number in the Event Settings. Then drag and drop in the inspector.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. goder2910

goder2910

I have one question . Anyway to change "prefab" of main player during game ?

Example : In the scene 1 , the main character runs by foot, but when character enters scene 2, he rides a "tiger".

8. gamingislove

gamingislove

You can't change the prefab, but you can use the event system to destroy the player and spawn another prefab.
    Simply create an autostart event in scene 2 with destroy player and spawn prefab steps.

Currently working on skill levels, guess I'll release ORK 1.0.8 already next week with a lot of new skill features and iOS support :)

9. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Where can i find the ios (or mobile) features in the documentation?
    Maybe in the 1.0.8 version i think.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  10. goder2910

goder2910

Ah thank for your answer. Hope you will release soon ^^.
    I have an idea. "Steal", the skill that steal item or weapon from inventory of party. Can you add it into next version ^^ ?

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Ok, i have a little wish or maybe it is a greater one because i do not know how much and how difficult it is to program.
    It could be that it is already implement but i do not understand how to use this right.

I would like to see all my party members all the time so they walk with me and also i would like to see all the enemies before i start a fight with them.

I find it good to have the possibilities to hide my party members or the enemies so the enemies can surprise me because some hide in the high gras or behind a tree and also my own party members could be ghosts that only come out when i need or call them in a fight.

But now i plan something more clear so that i do not have to explain the player why he can not see his own party members or the enemies.

I want that the player can walk with his members i.e. a wizard, a sword fighter, an archer and a normal people that i have to defend for the enemies.

Also it would be good to know if the enemies are to many for this time and i have to find a way around them and fight them later when i leveled up my party members.

As a side point why i would like to have this feature is that when i have nice models i would like to see them in my game.

I also know that it can be good to hide them for slower computers like i.e. mobiles (until now).

But please make this as an option to choose from in a future update. Maybe for the real time battle system update?

12. brandonabley

brandonabley

Any chance on including enemy data in HUDs? I was looking into programming it in myself, and it doesn't appear me that the GameHandler has an interface for enemy data. I think it would be nice to easy put enemy data in HUDs through the editor, or at the very least, to have enemy available in the GameHandler so it's easy to call that information for our own functions.

13. brianjkd

brianjkd

@ M_Stolley

All of that is already possible in ORK. Look into the Event Editor Documentation. You can use events to control your NPCs (which could be party members) or enemies, eg: giving them routes to take through waypoints.

You can have all enemies in a battle be visible before hand. Just uncheck spawn enemy and drag as many enemy game objects into the Battle Arena component as you want. This way all the enemies in that fight will derive from your scene and not be spawned.

You can also have party members follow your "Player" by giving them the Battle Agent component. This may be an unorthodox method but it works well. Just make sure the battle agent assigned to the NPC/ Party member is not linked to a battle arena. You can have party members follow or stop following the "Player" using the event editor to activate/ deactivate the game object with the Battle Agent Component depending on different circumstances or variable conditions.

You can also use the event editor waypoint steps, to create routes your characters should take. So if you want an enemy to hide behind a tree and jump out at the player when walking by, create a trigger enter event with a collider placed near the tree and then setup either animation steps, waypoint steps for whatever cinematics you want leading up to the fight.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  14. goder2910

goder2910

I dont know clearly about "Send Message" and "Broadcast Message".
    Send Message call function in the component on one object. The word "function" mean "function in the script" or "the name of function" ?

Ex : I have a script name "ShowMonster.js" and it have a function name "DisplayMonster()" to call the GUI to show monster information, i put this function into "OnGUI()" function to show the GUI.

What should i call "ShowMonster.js" or "DisplayRecipe" or "OnGUI" in the "Send Message" event ?

I tried to call "DisplayRecipe" with "null variable" but i always get "Array index out of range".
    Thank in advanced.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  15. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@BrianJKD

thank you, i will have a look and try it.

16. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

The function needs a variable with type string (in C#, String in JavaScript), so it should look something like this:
    C#: public void CallMe(string str)
    JS: public function CallMe(str : String)

From what you're saying your function doesn't meet that requirement.

You need to have something like this:

public function DisplayMonster(DisplayMonster : String)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  17. gamingislove

gamingislove

@M_Stolley
    There are no special mobile features, except for the ORK GUI system which is described in the 'Getting started with ORK' and Editor Documentation (game settings chapter). The ORK GUI system will most likely be removed again once Unity 3.5 is out with the new GUI system (and if it's running better on mobile devices :D).

Party members following the player isn't yet in ORK but on the update plan, I didn't try what BrianJKD suggested but that should work for now. To see all enemies before a fight starts, simply add all enemies to the field and set up the battle arena to use the field enemies. Also the event system could be used for hiding enemies to surprise the player (and many other things :D).

@brandonably
    The HUD system will have a big update once the new Unity GUI system is out (3.5 hopefully) - there will be a lot of changes and new possibilities (e.g. displaying enemy informations, etc.).
    Having enemy data available in the GameHandler isn't really possible, because they are part of the battle system (and only in battles) - you can access them via DataHolder.BattleSystem().system.enemies (it's an array of type Enemy).

@goder2910
    SendMessage calls the function in every component of a game object.
    BroadcastMessage calls the function in every component of a game object and it's children :)
    But you can't use those functions for OnGUI() - OnGUI is called automatically multiple times per frame to display the GUI, if you only call it once it doesn't show anything. Since OnGUI is called automatically, you could use the message steps to call a function that toggles a bool value true/false - and use that bool value in the OnGUI to decide if something is shown or not - e.g.:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var toggle : boolean = false;
    4. public function DisplayMonster(str : String)
    5. {
    6.     if(str == "true") toggle = true;
    7.     else toggle = false;
    8. }
    10. function OnGUI()
    11. {
    12.     if(toggle)
    13.     {
    14.         // gui code
    15.     }
    16. }
    @BrianJKD, MikeyUchiha
    Thanks for the help :D

ORK 1.0.8 will be released this week (most likely) - and it will contain skill levels and iOS support :)

18. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    a quick question, does ORK come with any pre-made 3d art content, like characters, background objects, monsters, better effects, and such?
    Thanks
    Kalamona

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK includes a complete demo project (see the demos on rpg-kit.com), but the included resources are only for demonstration purpose and it's not allowed to use them in your (public) projects.

20. kalamona

kalamona

Please dont take it as an offense, your product is definitely awesome. But may I ask why you don't inclue a handful of pre-made 3d content? A lot of RPG maker programs do that, and probably it would be much more intuitive and easier to sell if you would do that too. Too much hassle? Copyright problems?

21. drewradley

drewradley

Too expensive would be my guess. A lot of assets can't be shared in this way and the ones that can tend to be pretty expensive.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  22. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

No problem Nick, glad I could help. ^_^

Awesome! I'm so glad that you were able to do skill levels so quickly. Impressive work. I was wondering if you were going to add the random formulas and min/max formulas calculations I mentioned in the email as well for this release. And rounding formulas too. ^_^

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  23. gamingislove

gamingislove

@kalamona
    There is a simple reason why ORK doesn't include art content: it's a software framework and not an art package.
    If you really want to create a RPG and invest money into it, you most likely have an idea in mind, a world you want to create - and you will use your own graphics and models to achieve that vision :)

@MikeyUchiha
    Skill levels are already up and running - I'll see if I can implement the formula stuff in this release (which will be this weekend :D).

24. goder2910

goder2910

Thank for your answer. I can do it now ^^.Does "skill level function" include "change effect after skill level up" ?

I have a question. I and my friend want to design again "status bar"(the bar that show HP, MP information) in the battle like "status bar" in FF XIII by using code, so which script file relates to the "status bar" ?
    I tried to find script in the "Battle System' script but i found nothing.
    Thank in advanced:D

@MikeyUchiha : Thank for your help ^^

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  25. gamingislove

gamingislove

It'd be best if you take a look at the HUD class, it's used to display the ingame HUD. The StatusBar class is currently only used in the menu system (but will later be used once the HUD system is updated).
    What exactly do you want to create? I'll try to implement your wishes in the HUD update (which will take place after Unity 3.5 is released :D).

26. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

When you refer to the menu system are you talking about the menu extension?

Also, don't you think it would make more sense to revamp the GUI now because, Unity 3.5 might be a pretty long while. =\

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yes, I meant the menu extension.

If Unity 3.5 takes longer I'll update the HUD system earlier ... but for now I have other updates to do - real time battle system :)
    And if I update the GUI now I have to do it 4 times (Unity GUI and ORK GUI in both C# and JS) and most likely redo everything with the new Unity GUI system in 3.5, so I prefer to wait for some time before doing this update ...

Also your formula updates are coming in ORK 1.0.8 - you can round the formula (ceil, floor or round) each step and the random step can now optionally take 2 formulas for the min and max value. So for your attack formula with the min/max formulas you'd need 3 formulas - the min formula, the max formula and a formula with a single random step that uses both formulas as min/max :D

28. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Oh ok cool. So then if you have the menu extension you can use custom images to represent hp and mp bars?

Ohh ok that makes sense. Didn't realize how much of a rework it would be. That reminds me, what are the advantages and disadvantages of Unity GUI to using ORK GUI?

Yes! That is so awesome. Great job on the user support Nick. ^_^ I have no clue what ceil or floor means though. lol
    That's awesome that you're going to have those in though.

I encountered another issue for my formula as well. Basically, my classes have an HP Modifier and an MP Modifier. So basically, if you're a mage your mp is multiplied by more then if you were a swordsman.

Hower, I can't find a way to have stats only be used on a per class basis. When I looked at the Classes tab, there wasn't an option for that.

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

You can already use custom images in bars in the HUD system :)

Disadvantage of the Unity GUI is the framerate reduction (especially on mobile devices). Disadvantage of the ORK GUI is the greater memory usage (due to readable textures) and the creation of the GUI can shortly freeze the game on slow devices, but it doesn't reduce the framerate while showing the GUI.

Ceil means the value will be rounded up (14.2 will become 15), floor will round it down (14.9 will become 14), round will round it to the nearest value (14.4 will be 14, 14,7 will be 15) :D

Formulas modifying status value development isn't possible for now - but sounds like another cool idea, will put it on the update list!

Also having stats on a class basis isn't possible yet, can you give me some details on what you need? Do you mean status value development bound to class instead of character?

ORK 1.0.8 will be released on Sunday, a lot of new skill system features (e.g. skill combos, passive skills, skill levels, cast/reuse times, etc.) and iOS support are coming :)
    Oh yeah, and I've implemented the reflect status effect option - you can set skills to be reflectable, and if a combatant has a status effect with reflect applied, the skill will be thrown back to the caster :D

30. goder2910

goder2910

Nice update ^^. Hope use will update "Limit" system in the next version.
    Limit is the system will active when the hp of character below 20%. In "limit" condition, character can use Ultimate Skill ^^

And if you update "real time battle" someday, hope you will update HUD to make it like a FF XIII menu. I very like interface of this game ^^

31. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

You can easily do that using the formula section. And set a skill to be only used during that condition. Read the documentation.

32. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

@gamingislove - Basically I have this formula.

The HP Multiplier and HPFactor are the stat values that I want to be dependent based on class. Basically, if they're a Mage, they would have a lower HP Multiplier and HPFactor. However, if they're a Knight or Crusader it will be much higher. I have a similar formula for MP as well.

Also, my SigmaOfBaseLevel is impossible to do as far as I can tell. Basically, in C# I would have an incrementer that adds to the previous value and stops at the base level. But, as far as I can tell, there's no way to make an incrementer in ORK. Although, that's not TOO much of a requirement. Its just I'm going to have to redo some of the math. Again...lol

[([(35+BaseLevel*HPMulitiplier+SigmaOfBaseLevel*HPFactor)*(1+Vit/20)]+HPAdditions)*ItemHPMultipliers]

where SigmaOfBaseLevel means adding up every integer from 2 to the BaseLevel of the characer. As a simple example, at level 12 with 1 Vit, a Mage will have (35+12*5+(2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12)*0.3)*(1+1/20)=(35+60+77*0.3)*1.05=(35+60+23.1)*1.05=118.1*1.05=124 HP.

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

Finally - ORK 1.0.8 and MSE 1.0.3 are here!

ORK 1.0.8
    Official iOS support and a lot of new skill system features are the main part of this update, but we also have some other small (and cool :D) changes (e.g. reflect skill status effect, new formula stuff and check/set player event steps).

Check out the changelog:
    • new: Official iOS support.
    • new: Status Effects: Reflect skills option, skills set to reflectable will be reflected back on the caster.
    • new: Formulas: Random formulas, select formulas for the min and max random values.
    • new: Formulas: Rounding, each calculation step can round the current formula value (floor, ceil, round).
    • new: Skills: Skill combos, set skills that must be used before a skill can be used.
    • new: Skills: Passive skills, add bonuses to status values, elements, hit/escape/counter chance and auto effects, effect immunity.
    • new: Skills: Cast time, cancelable casting.
    • new: Skills: Reuse time.
    • new: Skills: Skill levels.
    • new: Skills: Reflectable option, skills will be reflected by reflect status effect.
    • new: Items, Equipment, Classes, Characters, Enemies: Skill levels.
    • new: Skills, Items, Weapons, Characters, Enemies: Attack efficiency, skill cast canceling.
    • new: Game Settings: Select key handling, either button down/up or key down/up.
    • new: Game Settings: Skill level change keys, skill level name settings.
    • new: Game Settings: Item collection choice settings.
    • new: HUDs: Display skill cast time.
    • new: Game Events: Check/set player step. Check/set status value step.

MSE 1.0.3
    The MSE update brings ORK 1.0.8 compatibility (and by this iOS support :D).

The updates have already been sent out to the customers - if you haven't received your update just send me an email to ork@rpg-kit.com with your order number!

@MikeyUchiha
    I guess the best way to implement this is by using formulas for normal status values (STR, MaxHP, etc.) bonuses on a class basis - I'll get this in one of the next updates :)

Further development
    The next big things to come are mainly the real time battle system, skill learning and status value development by spending experience points and the HUD update.

34. yung

yung

awesome release! Mind telling us what you have in mind for the real-time battle system?

35. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Thanks for the tip, Nick. Also, you missed my other question inside my post about incrementers in the above formula that I showed.

Also, my SigmaOfBaseLevel is impossible to do as far as I can tell. Basically, in C# I would have an incrementer that adds to the previous value and stops at the base level. But, as far as I can tell, there's no way to make an incrementer in ORK. Although, that's not TOO much of a requirement. Its just I'm going to have to redo some of the math. Again...lol

Is there a way to do this?

36. gamingislove

gamingislove

Oh, sorry, missed that one :D

Basically you'll have to wait until the level is supported in formulas - as soon as that's possible it's quite easy to get the sigma by using the simple sollution from Gauß: (value*(value+1))/2 = the sigma from 1 to value. Since you need it starting by 2, simply substract 1 at the end, e.g. for level 12: (12*13)/2 - 1
    Or as a formula:
    - level
    - add 1
    - multiply by level
    - devide by 2
    - sub 1
    But since there is no level option in formulas yet, you'll have to wait a bit ...
    Edit: maybe I'll implement a simple option to do sigmas :)

@Yung
    Well, the real time battle system will have some different battle styles - e.g. use shortcut keys to use attack/skills, call the battle menu first, etc.
    It will still use the battle animations to animate everything and will require some more set up on your characters and enemies prefabs (and weapons, etc.).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  37. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Alright. Thanks for the info Nick. Any idea when you'll be able to implement it?

Also, now that we have a min and max for random.

Is there a way to do this with formulas?

min(x,y) - This expression indicates that you should take the lower of x and y.
    max(x,y) - This expression indicates that you should take the higher of x and y.

Also, this?

x^y - This is x to the power of y. That is, x multiplied by itself y times. eg. 5^3 would be 5*5*5.

I know you could multiply a formula by itself that many times, but it would be nice if we could have an actual calculation for powers as well ^_^

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure, will try to have that in the next update :)

39. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Sweet thanks. Your support is unparalleled by almost every product I've used. The only people that can come close is Unisky. Every thing I've needed help with you've provided an answer, and a fix to it. Thanks again for your awesome help. ^_^

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

Just doing my job :)

41. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Yes, but not everybody is so good in doing their job ;)

42. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

How well does ORK perform with 2D games which prohibit the use of the Z axis?

If this goes really well with the 2D Toolkit, I just might purchase it!

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

The control style doesn't really matter for ORK because you can easily adapt your control scripts to work together with it (usually a simple if-case to check for ORKs current control style, e.g. field, battle, etc.).

I don't own the 2D Toolkit so I can't tell how well they'll work together, but in terms of control and movement there are no problems for ORK and 2D gameplay :)

44. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

Alright, thanks! I'll be sure to check it out then :)

45. gamingislove

gamingislove

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

I'm currently working on the battle system - dynamic combat option (multiple actions at the same time) and real time battles are on the way!
    Maybe there'll be a small update with dynamic combat and some new formula features in a few weeks before the real time battles are implemented ...

46. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Is the dynamic option only for active time based system?

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

No, also for turn based with active command enabled :D
    You can also set a minimum time between actions and have auto attacks for characters (can also be skills) that will be automatically performed every X amount of seconds. The auto attacks wont stop you from choosing attacks (i.e. they aren't seen as standard battle actions and block your menu).
    Also there will be some updates to the battle animations and an optional battle tracking camera (and the possibility to stop animations from changing the camera).

48. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

A simple option to do sigmas would be awesome! But, it still would be good to expose levels to formulas in case other people want to do something even more different.

49. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Sweet. Dynamic combat would give a more realistic feel while still keeping to the original feel of a turn based game. I don't personally like ABS because typically i want to play a game where I can think about my strategies. Which is kinda harder to do with ABS because you have to think quickly.

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

Easy sigma in formulas (simple checkbox :D) will come, same goes for levels (actually should've been there from the start ... thought I had implemented them already xD).
    Well, dynamic combat will increase battle speed dramatically ... and there won't be the fixed turn based order anymore, since combatants with faster actions (animations) will be ready for the next action sooner.

Also I just updated the battle animations with some new stuff and implemented battle move speed settings:
    Characters and enemies now have a battle move speed setting which can be used in battle animations (move to step, which can now optionally move stuff by speed), status effects and equipment can change the move speed :)
    Pretty cool with the dynamic combat, since running to the enemy will take some time if you e.g. wear "heavy" equipment or cast a slow effect on someone :D

All this stuff is coming in ORK 1.0.9, probably in 2 weeks (or sooner, if I can keep up the pace) :)