Unity Community

Page 4 of 161 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    excellent news of the C# port so soon!!!!

question, are you using a messenger system with a "dont destroy on load" type of setup?
    are you using listeners much?
    all your neutron are belong to neutrinoless-double-beta-decay....
    psimek.com

2. Location
    Salzburg, Austria
    I'm using singletons and a few "dont destroy on load" for music and gui handling, no listeners :D
    ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity
    orkframework.com | Thread

3. Posts
    Hey I was very impressed by the demo, I don't even have any plans to make an RPG and I'm tempted to buy

Just a quick question, is it possible to have team members who you can buy as an item? For example if you had a military RPG and you wanted to hire mercenaries to join your team, once they're dead they can't be revived but could be purchased again. Can something like that currently be done? (I have some great ideas for a game if that's possible)

4. Location
    Salzburg, Austria
    Well, it's not really possible through items - but you could do this with the event system (like the dialogue based shop in the demo).
    I'll add some new settings to the characters (that they can't be revived and automatically leave the party if they're dead) to allow those things!

5. Posts
    Awesome, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this

6. Posts
    Quick question, not sure if the demo has an option, but how do you access your menu screen?

7. Posts
    does this kit store its db in an sql lite db?

8. Location
    Salzburg, Austria
    The kit doesn't have a (stats) menu, this is currelty in development as an addon and will hopefully be released before christmas.
    The data is stored using XML files.

9. Location
    Málaga (Spain)
    Have you considered storing data in a database?

SQLite can be used easily without having to configure anything... and it shouldn't be to difficult to "upgrade" the engine so it can also use other databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
    Do you need a really fast racing AI for Unity?
    Pro Racing AI

10. Location
    Salzburg, Austria
    I know SQLite would've been easy to use (I've been working with MySQL and SQLite in java application development for years), but I decided a database is impractical for the data structure of the kit. The XML node scheme gives me full and flexible control over complex data settings.
    But if someone really needs a database, all you'd have to do is change ORKs XML handler to interact with the database, although the data structure behind it is really complex.

11. Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Hi gamingislove

I see you have redone your web site - looking good.
    also looking forward to the addons for ORK

12. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingislove View Post
    I know SQLite would've been easy to use (I've been working with MySQL and SQLite in java application development for years), but I decided a database is impractical for the data structure of the kit. The XML node scheme gives me full and flexible control over complex data settings.
    But if someone really needs a database, all you'd have to do is change ORKs XML handler to interact with the database, although the data structure behind it is really complex.
    sql lite would have been perfect for us since we want iphone develppment, I don't belive we can use your current database setup for iphone. I would want to know if this is something you plan to implement? or something we should to look to do ourselves?

edit:
    or do you believe your xml structure will work fine on mobile device?

13. Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Why would the XML data currently being used NOT work on the iPhone?

14. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    because U3 iOS non-pro can't use System.XML at all
    Last edited by Dreamora; 11-22-2010 at 08:53 PM.

15. Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah OK - didn't know that. Seems like an odd omission.

@gamingislove - *cough* Video overview *cough* ... just a little reminder

16. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Not that odd actually, with system and system.xml included the compile become that large that the iphone sdk refuses to link the app, to get around it you need stripping which is a pro only feature.

Prior iphone 1.6 it was not disabled and lead quite some threads on the link error

17. Location
    Sydney, Australia
    I like you Dreamora... you always have an answer

18. Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    @gamingislove

You planning any Tutorials?

19. Posts
    so the only way this kit is possible is with iOS pro?

20. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    On the iOS: If it uses System.XML then yes unless you replace that whole part with something thats available

Page 4 of 161 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast