Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

updates are sent out by mail, next update will be in about 2 weeks.

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

3. Hans

Hans

thanks for the new Tut gamingislove

4. RoyS

RoyS

Thank you for the tutorials.

5. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Excellent video, can you maybe give us a list of what we can expect in the next tutorials?

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

Next tutorial will be about creating a cinematic dialogue event - includes setting up a dialogue position and camera position.
    Then I'll show how to connect scenes with the scene changer, set up a character (includes class and character settings), skills, enemies, battles, etc.

I've yet not really set the order, if you need something urgent just drop me a line :D

How is it going with ORK till now, run into any problems or got any complaints? Or need some new features?
    Remember your feedback helps developing the kit further :D

7. drillfoot

drillfoot

This is a very good asset to the community! I'm currently not developing an RPG, but if I was this would be at the top of the 'must have' list! This is very good work!

8. dhogan

dhogan

I've been following your progress on this by way of your blog and website, and I have to say it looks amazing! There are many elements that I have been looking for, and some that I hadn't thought of but am now convinced I need. ;)

One question I have is if you think it's possible to use only portions of the kit with a project. For example, I have a combat system in mind that's different than ORK - how hard would you expect it to be to drop it into the kit? Or, how hard do you think it would be to lift out the dialog functionality?

Thanks for your time,
    Don

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  9. gamingislove

gamingislove

It's no problem to just use only the functions of the kit you need.
    Also implementing your own battle system won't be that hard - if you still use the kit's skill, item, character and enemy system.
    E.g. using a skill would only be the call of a function with the user and target of the skill - the rest (skill costs, damage, status effects, etc.) is handled automatically. PM me some details if you need more hints :D
    Lifting out the dialogue functionality is also possible, but you'd need to change a little bit in some scripts - but why not just use the event system?

10. dhogan

dhogan

I think it was a poor choice of words on my part to say "lifting out the dialog system", it would be the same idea as the first example. My thinking was more along the lines of using the dialog system in say, a 3rd person shooter.

Going back to the battle system question, it's more a case of already having a core combat mechanic developed and leveraging ORK for the systems that hadn't been started yet. That said, it's almost a moot point since I'm looking at porting from an older, different engine - in which case I might as well start over in something current and cohesive like ORK.

Honestly, for the price it's really hard to go wrong with buying the kit and giving it a try; I'd rather spend my time learning a new system and refine / redefine my mechanics and not attempting to write new tools from old code. :)

I need to write up my proof of concept requirements and then I'll see about hitting you with some questions.

Thanks!

11. gamingislove

gamingislove

Ok, yeah, that's also possible - but you should at least use ORKs character system for event interactions and player spawning, else you'd have to change some scripts. Would just be a dummy character which holds your player's prefab for spawning and event interactions.

What kind of battle system do you need?
    ORK currently has turn based and active time, where you can use your own formulas (calculations) for battle order, etc.
    If you need something else I can tell you where to change the mechanics.

I'll wait for your questions :D

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sorry again for another double post ... tutorial 3 is ready earlier then expected :D

ORK Tutorial 3 - Cinematic Dialogue Event
    This tutorial will teach you how to create dialogue positions, camera positions and use them in a game event to create a cinematic dialogue event.

13. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Awesome, how is the Menu system coming along?..

Can you have a Cinematic tutorial for a cut scene example with some event base to it as well?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  14. gamingislove

gamingislove

Menu system is coming along quite nice - but the real development on it starts next week. Hopefully I can finish it bevore Christmas, but I guess January is more realistic.

I'm currently working on ORK 1.0.2 with some new features and preparations for the menu system addon. It includes e.g. character 'no revive' and 'leave on death' flags to allow the creation of a mercenary system, items setting/removing game variables and ... gizmo icons, to allow better scene editing :D
    Update will come next week.

15. RoyS

RoyS

You're really doing a fantastic job with this, gamingislove. Looking forward to these.

16. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'm doing what I can to make the kit better :D
    Gizmo icons are really enhancing the workflow, see the attached screen for a small preview!

Update may already be released on sunday, gotta see what else I can get into it ...

Attached Files:

17. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

excellent work, this will be a great addition to the kit.

18. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK 1.0.2 released
    Besides some new features the workflow has been improved by adding gizmo icons for scene editing and list filters for items, skills, weapons and armors in the Project Editor. The documentation has been extended by the new features.

Changelog:
    • new: Skills, Items, Weapons, Armors: filter the Project Editor list by type (skill type, item type, equipment part).
    • new: Gizmo Icons: gizmo icons for better scene building, in 24x24 or 32x32.
    • new: Characters: new 'no revive' option, character can't be revived if set.
    • new: Characters: new 'leave on death' option, character is removed from party when dead.
    • new: Items: items can set or remove game variables.
    • new: Dialogue Positions: choice column options, create horizontal, vertical or grid choice dialogues.
    • new: Spawn Points: place on ground can use an offset.
    • new: Place On Ground: can use an offset.
    • new: Game Events: Destroy Player Step, remove the player or whole party from the scene.
    • change: Game Events: Events that don't block the controls can start in every game mode.

19. aigam

aigam

Really interesting.
    Do you have an alternative buy method? It seems that your seller don't want free accounts like gmail, and I don't want to buy an email account only for this, specially when gmail works really well for me and I have to configure paypal again for a new account. (they don't even let me buy with credit card)

20. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

21. gamingislove

gamingislove

@aigam
    I've sent you a PM.

@DigitalShock
    Thanks, I actually wanted to implement them right at the beginning, but ran out on time ...
    The filter lists will come in handy once you have a big project with lots of equipment, items and skills :D

Menu system addon development starts today, a realistic release date is end of January.
    If there are any things someone needs in them, just post it here or drop me a mail - I'll try to implement them right at the start!

22. aigam

aigam

Thks, I have replied.

At first with the demo of the engine 2 months ago I have think that is really simple. But after the video tutorials, where you can see the real power of the ORK, I get very impressed.

23. gamingislove

gamingislove

Christmas discount!
    Starting now we have a 15 % price reduction until December 25, 2010!
    Discount is valid for all licences, so the discounted prices are:
    • Indie Licence - single developer, 85 Euros
    • Indie Studio Licence - up to 25 developers, 850Euros
    • Commercial Licence - single developer, 425Euros
    • Commercial Studio Licence - up to 25 developers, 4250Euros

>Visit our shop< to get your discounted ORK :D

24. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

make a real time action rpg compatible with a shooting system or not. Your tool is already awesome, but after implementing the menu system i think it's the last thing to do...
    Great job.

25. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Would love to see the menu system out by Mid Jan! But I guess we can wait to end of Jan. But please not any longer that that! :)

26. Hans

Hans

Also looking forward to the menu system as well.

27. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Is ORK using OnGui calls for its UI? I ask this because we'd like to use ORK on our iOS projects, but(obviously) we can't use OnGui calls due to their MASSIVE draw calls? Does ORK use batching for it's gui calls, similar to SpriteManager2?

Has anyone gotten ORK to play nicely with SpriteManager2 from anbSoft?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  28. gamingislove

gamingislove

@rosor
    real time battle system will come next year, but can't really say when ...

@menu system
    working on it :D

@thx
    ORK uses one centralized OnGUI function for the whole HUD/UI stuff. Currently the battle texts (damage display) each have their own OnGUI, but this also will be handled in the centralized function in the future (already on my todo list :D).
    iOS is yet not officially supported, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work ...

29. shadow explorer

shadow explorer

o_O great news
    how real time battle is planned

like 3rd person 3d zelda games for example?
    if yes i would have almost everything i need for ^_^

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  30. aigam

aigam

Hi! I've tested on iphone and it seems to work, but only the c# code (in js there are some errors when getting components).
    The big problem is obviously the control. It will be cool if you can add a "only mouse" control (as unity read the mouse as a touch input), so it will work at the iphone without problems.
    The demo is also not working, no terrains in unity :(.

A temporal problem is the use of unity gui for the menus, for the draw calls, but in the future the gui system will be updated by unity to use less draw calls (or at least, I think that I have read this in some place...). Also have to search how to change the size of the interface ingame, because now is really small ^^UU

So, I have done few tests (tutorials), but it works, you have to change the default control to an iphone specific control, but it is easy.

31. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@aigam, what is the average draw call count if ORK is displaying the interface on the iOS device you tested it on? Thanks for sharing your experience.

I would be totally on-board if there was a low draw call option for iOS devices(as its my main dev platform at the moment).
    ORK is really shaping up wonderfully though, great work!

32. aigam

aigam

@ZHX: The draw calls problem is totally dependent of the unity gui: the number of draw calls is based in wich interface are you using.

Is pretty easy to use your own interface and use the gui menus only in, well, the menus or conversations, where the draw calls are less important.

And I hope that in the next unity update menus are going to be batched (oh please!)

33. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

How did you test it on iOS? just created a new project and added the C# pluggins and export? Simple as that?

And of course a control setup sceme.

For the demo just delete all terrain and replace it with a flat plane.

34. aigam

aigam

I just created a new project, added the C# plugins, implemented the plugins and added the control scheme that comes with unity (adapted to ork).

35. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Update:

Just tested it on iOS as well. works fine with C# version like aigam said.

very strange that the java version doesnt work since some of the iphone example projects use java..

@aigam
    will you be making some control test and release to public?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  36. gamingislove

gamingislove

@shadow explorer
    There is yet no concrete plan for the real time battle system, but the goal is to have a system that allows 3rd person and first person.

@aigam
    Well, the controls that come with ORK are just an example ... I guess there are as many control styles out there as game ideas :D
    Adapting a control style to ORK is only one if-case, so not that complicated ... I'll try to add more control/camera control stuff over time!

The interface size ingame can be changed in the project editor > game settings tab. The 'default screen size' settings are used to calculate the size of all other GUI/HUD stuff, so you need to set the position and size of all Dialogue Positions and HUD elements to fit to the 'default screen size' settings, ORK then calculates the correct position/size on all other resolutions.

Great to hear that the C# version works on iPhone, if you send me the error messages on the java version, I can look into it :)

37. shadow explorer

shadow explorer

thats cool :D
    if i want to make a game on my own ,i have to rely almost on your toolkit :D thats why i ask :D
    keep up the great work and thanks ;D

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

that's what ORK is designed for - creating RPG-like games without scripting :D

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

Merrry Christmas everyone :D
    Don' forget, the discount will end tomorrow!

Menu system addon is developing good^^

40. aigam

aigam

The menu system seems interesting.
    What features it will have?

-Is easy to use any control on iphone, just get any of the controls that comes with unity and they will work with minor changes (as says documentation :p ).

41. gamingislove

gamingislove

Basic RPG menu functions to interact with ORKs data:
    - items (use, drop back to world, etc)
    - skills (use)
    - equipment (equip :D)
    - character status
    - party management
    and some custom settings stuff (e.g. to create a encyclopedia or quest log, etc.)

Will all be very customizable by using ORKs Dialogue Positions - so fancy fading/moving menus, etc. are no problem :D
    Also the menu system will allow creation in a Final Fantasy style or MMO style, drag+drop stuff etc.

42. Hans

Hans

does the skills include - spells/elements?

all the items/skills/equipment can add icons to individual components to them?

very nice work gamingislove looking forward to the drag&drop stuff and all the above :)

PS have a good Xmas

43. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Just picked up ORK, thanks for creating such a great package @GamingIsLove
    I hope you focus more on iOS support, as I'm ONLY using ORK on iOS projects.

Also, anything you can do to reduce draw calls for the Gui would be very necessary for mobile
    I cant urge my team to purchase a site license until such support is included. There are a number of users who would like to integrate ORK moreso into mobile apps.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  44. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Agreed, no one really plays RPGs on PC. Console or mobile is really the only option. This is why I am not surprised that many users including myself are using this solely for the iOS and maybe Android platform.

However!

The only thing this kit needs is a control setup plugin for iOS, everything else works perfectly fine but! having iOS officially supported could lead to better optimization.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  45. Hans

Hans

46. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

You have some good points there! PC support should always be the main platform but officially supporting iOS will better help us iOS guys out. Either way never said to exclusively support iOS just to officially support it.

I think this kit will work great on any platform Unity supports and excited to see how far this kit will grow to.

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

The menu system uses your own item/skill types to separate them (but you can also let them display all together or only for a fixed type, etc.). Also you can use the icon you set in the project editor (text+icon, only icon, only text).

@GUI draw calls
    After the menu system is finished I'll look into how to reduce them - since most of ORK's GUI stuff is handled in a single class, it shouldn't be that complicated :D

I'm with Hans on the RPG topic, there may be some money in mobile RPGs right now, but they just can't be as good as big ones on PC due to size, visuals and atmosphere (big screen, nice controls, etc.)...

Happy new year btw :D
    Currently I'm not working that much on ORK/menu system, but it's still getting along quite nice ... base menu, items and character selection (for item use) are already up and running.

48. aigam

aigam

Well, on Ipad, for example, you can add a fantastic gameplay with the touch screen. The big problem are obviously graphics.
    An in PC, the big problem is that people expect fantastic graphics, so do an indie jrpg is really really complex.

To the problem of interface on IOS, I don't see any fast solution. Even if the ork system is really optimized, the problem is that unity GUI is not optimized. I hope they are going to fix this really soon.

49. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yeah, but it's still something you hold in your hand instead of leaning back and enjoying the experience :D

How about using GUI Text/Texture elements instead of the OnGUI functions, would that reduce draw calls on iOS?

50. MJA

MJA

Just recently decided to jump into Unity development, and after coming across ORK, it really looks like you've got an awesome product.

I have a few questions about ways ORK can be modded.

I'm thinking about having grid-based party combat that requires movement and positioning on a hex grid, so skills would need a range, you'd need to move your characters based on a movement speed attribute, some attacks would allow special movement, teleports, etc.

I'd also like to get away from the menu driven approach and go with a skill bar that appears when combat starts with all the skills displayed via icons in one bar. You end up not being able to have as many skills with a single character as a menu system, but I think it might make for faster paced combat.

Do you think these would work with ORK? Anything preventing this type of approach?