Search Unity

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. joeee19

joeee19

Wow ... You're a genius! Thank you for the awesome beta 11 timely!
    I wait forward to beta 11.

I have a self-made action game already.
    https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/shi100ren-zhanrilite-ban/id679133055?mt=8

The converted into RPG game ORK2 this, I want to use joystick and fancy dress of this game, the attack operation only when the scene of battle.

And How do I would be possible to customize those?

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

Release of ORK 1.2.6
    Finally, a new version of ORK 1 - some fixes and a new dialogue position feature.
    You can find the full changelog >here<.

The update has already been sent out to customers and uploaded to the asset store.
    Also, the asset store price dropped to 100 $ :)

@poofdragon
    1) If you press accept while it's typing, the whole text will be visible immediately. Maybe I'll add more options to this later, e.g. increasing type speed while holding down the accept key ...
    2) I'll take a look at it - the letters should appear where they're supposed to be right at the start...

@joeee19
    There aren't built in swipe controls (yet), so you'd have to implement those yourself and map their input on ORK's input keys (you can learn more about input keys and how to use them in code >here<).

3. gazebo

gazebo

Many Many thanks again to catacomber! I did not expect to see the real precious code for mobile first person controller.
    BTW I'm so energized by seeing decent, neat completed products like Celtic RPG series.

4. Frogames

Frogames

First of all, thank you for your hard work Nicholas. ORK2 is an excellent product, and it save us a lot of work!

I'm exploring the vast possibilities of ORK2 in order to start the developement of a new game, a Hack'n Slash. And I have a request. Not really something new, more about options management.

I'm setting up player movements (In Base/Control -> Player Controls) and the Mouse/Touch Control Settings allow me to choose between several options (Start, Move or End).

Unfortunately, neither of those options allow me to setup classic H'nS movements (like Diablo or Torchlight). In fact what I'm looking for is just a mixe between the Start and the Move options. I want that my character starts to move when I click, AND, I want that my character follows the mouse until I release the button.

What do you think Nicholas?

5. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Frogames
    I guess I simply add a small setting that allows you to receive the input for all modes (start, move and end) :D

Beta11 news
    Control map update - classes and combatants can have multiple control maps, control keys can also use a combatant's shortcut slots instead of actions, control maps can now also be used in the field - oh, and battle events can now also animate items/abilities in the field :)
    The general idea is that the player is in some kind of permanent real time battle mode outside of battles, so you'll be able to run around and use your stuff (items/abilities that are useable in the field).

Beta11 should be ready by the end of the week.

6. Frogames

Frogames

Thank you vey much Nicholas :)

7. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Sweet. I was actually going to ask for that; since I figured the only other alternative was just to make every single area an enormous battle zone. I reckon it's time for me to start diving into implementing RTB again, hopefully I don't run into the same problems.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  8. Catacomber

Catacomber

@ gamingislove-- thanks so much for the ORK1 update! It is indeed in the Unity Asset Store. I think the price of $100 is a real bargain for ORK1 because it's the only rpg editor I've found really workable for making a mobile game and it's very flexible (and I've tried many). And if you have the menu shop extension too, you can upgrade to ORK2. : ) I think. : )

:D:-D::mrgreen:

Is there a way to update my current project without losing my current Dialogue Position settings, Menu settings and Editor setttings?

@gazebo-- Thanks for your kind words. The Celtic Quest expansions were fun to do. ; )

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  9. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Kirbychwan
    You'll just be able to animate items and abilities useable in the field as well, but the game will still switch to battle mode when you want to fight an enemy :)

@catacomber
    You should always make a backup before doing an update (and regularly :D) - but this update shouldn't change any of your settings, there simply is a new setting available.

10. cynel

cynel

So if i got this right this will make Enemies attack first before going into battle turned based or just real time only.

11. gamingislove

gamingislove

@cynel
    No, it'll be just like it's now, but if you use an item or ability in the field (when you set them up to be useable in the field), they can also be animated like in battles.
    E.g. if you use an item from the menu, your player will also use battle events to animate using the item.

12. cynel

cynel

oh anyways hows beta progressing.

13. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Can anyone give me a little shove in the right direction? In my example scene, I set up two boxes on opposite side, and when I went and click one box, I want my character to move to the other box. I tried making an event for them and adding each of the boxes an interaction event, but can't seem to do it at all. Seems like a simple move, but it'll build up my knowledge for later use. Anyone got some hints on how to do it?

14. Jikiyal

Jikiyal

To move the player from an event trigger point to another object is simple. Simply put, use a 'Change Position' step. I have included a tutorial as well should you require it. In any case, you only need one Event Interaction. The event interaction component is used to trigger events, and is not required on actor objects that do not contain events.

CREATING THE EVENT:
    Create a new event - either through the ORK II Editor, or by clicking the New Event option on the event interaction component, and click on the default event step 'Event Settings'. Here, we must add in our actors for the move event. Since we will be moving the player to another object, we need to tell ORK that the player is an actor in the event. So click the 'Add Actor' Button. Change the 'Type' to 'Player'.

Next, we need to add an actor to move to. Since you want the player actor to move to another object, we must make that object an actor as well! Once again, click 'Add Actor', and leave the type set to 'Object'. Now this part is optional, but I advise you to click the 'Set Name' checkbox, and name it to something like 'Move Target'. This makes it easier for you to set up complicated move events when dealing with several actors.

With our two actors defined, add a 'Change Position' step, and connect it to the 'Event Settings' step. You can find Change Position under Movement Steps > Change Position. Under the Moving Object category, make sure Actor is selected, and you see 'Player' in the Actor field. This means that the player is going to be the object that will be moved.

Now since we are moving the player to another object, check the box next to 'To Object'. Some new options appear. By default, the first actor is selected. If you were to leave it alone, the event will attempt to move the Player to the Player. In your case, you want to move the Player to the Move Object, so from the drop-down menu, select your Move Object.

The last thing you need to do with this event is decide how you want the move to be executed. At the bottom of the step, click the box next to 'Move'. You can have your actor move to the target object over time, or by speed. If you enter in a time, then no matter how far the distance between the two objects, the move will be completed in that time. A time of 3 means it takes three seconds for the player to reach the target object.

Optionally, you can use the 'Move By Speed' option. By checking this, you can ignore the 'Time' field, as it is no longer used. Now you can define the speed which the actor will move at while heading towards it's target. Save your event.

SETTING UP THE EVENT INTERACTION
    Now return to your trigger object - the object used to start the event - and assign your newly saved event to it. Also, if there is not already, add a collider to the object set to 'isTrigger', or ORK will not be able to tell when the player is trying to start the event. Now you must decide how you wish the event to start. For this example, set the 'Start Type' to 'Interact'. This means that when the player is standing near to the object, you will be able to press the interact key, or click on the event object to start it.

The final step is to assign your actors. The player does not need to be assigned as ORK takes care of this part for you. If you scroll down on your event, at the bottom you will see 'Actor 1' and notice it is blank. This is where your move target goes - so you must drag and drop your move target to this slot.

Anyways, that should do it for you! You could also have done this event several other ways, including using waypoints, or having the player move to specific coordinates - but I find using Actors much easier. Gook luck!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  15. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Wow, thanks a lot, Jikiyal! I was expecting just a hint, yet I got whole awesome tutorial. Super appreciate it!
    Now that I know how that works, I should be able to incorporate it into different things.

One last question. While the character was moving to the box, the direction is all wrong. If I face the event interaction box with the character's back to the box I want to move it to and click it to active it, the player will just walk backward to the box, and if I face it side way, the character will move sideway to the box. The idea was no matter what position the character is in, if I click the box, the character should turn to the other box first before going to it. Any idea why this happen?

16. Jikiyal

Jikiyal

There are many things that could be causing this to happen, but I am going to guess that it has to do with the player controls. Open your event, and click on Event Settings. If you have a checkbox by Block Player Control, then you need to modify part of your Change Position step. Simply click the Wait checkbox under the Movement Settings of the Change Position step.

If that was not the case, there is one more thing I would suggest, and that is to add in a Rotate To event step. Before your Change Position step, go to Rotation Steps > Rotation and set the rotating object to 'Player'. For the rotation target, set the actor to 'Move Target'. Also, check the box the box under fade settings called Fade Rotation. Set Time to 1 for testing purposes. You can lower this later. Also, check the 'Wait' checkbox. Save your event, and see if that fixes anything.

If none of my suggestions worked, answer these questions for me:

1. Does your player normally face forward while walking?
    2. Have you experienced any directional issues with your player model before?
    3. Are you using one of the movement systems provided by ORK, or a custom movement script?

17. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Hi GiL,

I ran into a few issues when beginning to juggle multiple menus in our game.

1. Have a main menu with the normal options; Item, Equip, Magic, etc that opens and closes via a Call button. Let's say, Tab.

2. Select one of the options that bring up a new menu in front of the main menu. Let's say, Items.

3. Now, press Tab while browsing through your items.

The main menu behind the Item menu disappears! Super jarring.

Having a way to disable the '2nd call closes' when it's not the currently active menu would be pretty handy. Or perhaps a Menu Priority system. (Menu B is always in front of Menu A. Menu B will always have priority over Menu A if it is up, etc)

Having all the menus set to 'Single Screen' might help, but that only raises more problems:

-A jarring flash when switching between two 'Single Screen' menus. (The backgrounds disappear for a brief moment)
    -There's no nice menu GUI overlapping if you use Single Screen.

----

Dialogue GUI and Area Text can appear above Menus. Could you add an additional option to the GUI boxes (in the same vein as 'Appears above Fader'; that could basically be 'Always Behind/Underneath Menus'?

----

In addition, there's a few issues I'm having with the Equipment Menu.

-Would it be possible to hide or rename specific Equipment Parts from the menu, or even manually select which parts will be visible in the list? (There are some Equipment Parts that I don't want to be seen by the player, so right now I've just deleted those parts so they don't appear on the list...)

C̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶E̶q̶u̶i̶p̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶:̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶i̶.̶i̶m̶g̶u̶r̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶O̶X̶5̶J̶R̶2̶E̶.̶p̶n̶g̶ ̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶q̶u̶i̶p̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶:̶ ̶ http://i.imgur.com/x2G4daK.jpg ̶:̶(̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶v̶i̶d̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶v̶i̶d̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶i̶e̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶w̶e̶s̶o̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶.̶ ̶O̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶?̶

Edit: I redid my menu in such a way that a straight up list with even spacing isn't as much of an issue, but being able to hide/rename/exclude items on the list would still be very useful!

Really happy with how easy it is to do the Combatant Stat/Equipment Preview stuff by the way. :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  18. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Jikiyal, gah, it was so simple! I just did what yuu said and click the wait checkbox under the Movement Setting, and baaam, when he walk to the box, he turns in that direction. I also tried the Rotate To event step and it work also! I should have look harder for that, instead of asking you. Sorry about that.

If you don't mind me asking one last last question? Everything works great, BUT he will go back to his original position every time he reach the target.
    If I'm facing backward, he will turn to the target and walk towards it, but the moment he reach it, he will just go back to his original position (in this case, with his back turn to the target). Somehow, I have a feeling this is also easy, but it always seem to escape my grasp.

19. Jikiyal

Jikiyal

@Shadow_Fire
    I am assuming that you are attempting to move a controllable entity, like the player? If that is the case, then I am sorry but I am unable to help with this issue. I tried several different things in an attempt to obtain your desired results, but was unsuccessful. From what I gather, when an event starts, the player's rotation is saved somewhere. Then, if the event moves the player and the event ends, the player's position is replaced with the new position from the event, but the rotation is not overwritten. ORK instead restores the rotation the player had prior to the event starting, which is causing your 'back turning' issue. This only occurs when a controllable entity is moved, and not with NPCs.

Hopefully another member of the ORK Community can shed some light on this issue. We may just be overlooking something, but I imagine it is an incomplete or non-existent feature.

20. Catacomber

Catacomber

I did the update after backing up and everything is fine. The item collector no longer reflects the portrait of the last npc you talked to who had a portrait.

Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

21. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Yeah, I was trying to move the player. I was trying to duplicate a little cinematic scene in which the player talk to one NPC and after he finish talking, he will then go to the other NPC automatically to go stand in front of him. But if he reach the NPC and just automatically change position, that's not really ideal. Once again, thanks for your help, Jikiyal. You don't know how much you had help me.

Hopefully GIL will tell us whether that's simply a bug or intentional or something else.

22. joeee19

joeee19

Good evening !

I am working on at the ORK2 RPG type of Diablo3 on iOS .

Attack button in the battle scene I want to use the interface of homebrew to attack Swipe like Fruits Ninja.

Game image : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zIzOguD9vc

You are suffering from that to correspond to ORK2 the interface of attack in the upper right corner .

1 .
    In the battle scene , what do you thing to pass to ORK2 "Variables " My original script of some of my (unity script)?

2 .
    A float variable " my variables " is 0-360 . It is the angle that you swipe . In mechanim, motion shake the sword according to the 0-360 angle is an attack .

In ORK2, monitoring of " my variables " Is it possible ? For example , is it possible to regenerate the attack motion in accordance with the variable When you receive a variable ?
    Or you want to generate an attack event by passing a variable to ORK.
    Is it - you can use any class ? ORKFramework.StatusValueSetter.Equals?

The first place Is it possible in the Asset of ORK2 ever been this? Would I want to use Asset another ok?

23. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shadow_Fire
    Did a quick test - yes, that's definitely strange and I'm looking into why it resets the rotation of the player. It's actually no part of the ORK event stuff, probably got something to do with the character controller, but I'll figure it out for the next update :)

@catacomber
    You're welcome :)

@Kirbychwan
    The flash when using single screen can be hidden when using the general backgrounds (menu settings), they'll be displayed behind ALL menu screens and will hide the flash (that's why I've implemented them :D).
    I'll look into the '2nd call close' thing when not being the focused menu and the other things.

@joeee19
    Since you already have your swipe code, you can simply set up an ORK input key and use it in a control map to trigger the attack (or ability, item, etc.) you want to use. Once you have that, you can set the input key via code in your swipe script:

Code (csharp):
    1. ORK.GetInputKey(int index).SetAxis(float value)
    index is the index of the ORK input key (e.g. 0 for the first input key), value is the value you want to set the key's axis to (between -1 and 1), e.g.:

Code (csharp):
    1. ORK.GetInputKey(5).SetAxis(1)
    Will trigger the key with index 5.

edit:
    @Shadow_Fire
    Yeah, problem with the player controls not updating the move direction when not moving - fixed in beta11 :)

24. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Ah! Good to know. Thanks :D

25. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

26. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Hey GiL, (or anybody who might know!)

Is there a decent way to change the Stats granted from a piece of equipment... depending on the Slot that it's placed into?

Basically, I'd like to show what the ATT (Attack Value) is for each 'hand' slot. Left and Right. Unfortunately, I can't really seem to find a way to display that information on the equipment screen.

So for example, if I placed a weapon (which can be equipped in EITHER slot) in the left hand that granted ATT+1, the (L)ATT stat comparison would occur. The problem is that if I place it into the RIGHT hand slot, it will still only allocate points to (L)ATT.

http://i.imgur.com/zKp9K1x.jpg

If there's already a way around this, I'd love to know!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  27. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

GIL, can you also check the change camera position event to see if it's working correctly?

For example. I set up a little scene in which I went and click on a box and the camera will change to it's new position (the new position is the position of the camera I set up in World / Camera Positions.
    Just for testing purposes, the camera position I set up is 0,0,0. The initial camera position right before I click the box is 25,18,10. In the Change Camera Position step, I assign the camera position to the position camera I set up in World/Camera Positions.

The plan was when I click on the box, the camera will go to the position of 0,0,0.
    But instead it goes to the position of 25,3,20.
    The rotation works as intended. The only problem is the position. It's off.
    Can you confirm if this is a bug, or if it was intentional? Or did I just forgot to do a step?

28. Guideborn

Guideborn

Not rushing or anything, but is there an estimated date of official release?

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Kirbychwan
    Interesting idea, but there is currently no way an equipment can give different status bonuses depending on which equipment part it's put on ...
    You'll have to go with 2 different weapons for this, one for left hand and one for right hand.

@Shadow_Fire
    I'll check it - but make sure your camera position isn't set up to use local space :)

@MorrisGriffinJr
    Currently it's set to end of October, we'll see if I can make it :D
    But even if I can't hold that date, it's not that long until the official release, most of the things that need to be there are ready, other new features will come as updates.

30. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Thanks! Yeah, at first I thought that was so too, so I tried clicking and unclicking the local space box, but it still doesn't work.
    We'll see if it's a bug or not. If it's not a bug, sweet, that just mean I need to try harder.

31. Guideborn

Guideborn

Whoa. That's close! I was expecting something like February. Haha. That's ok with me I'm ready to buy this thing!

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shadow_Fire
    Ah, sorry, misinterpreted your post - the camera position work as they should :)
    The camera positions aren't used to set them on a defined position in the world, they are always set in relation to an object (e.g. an event actor). The position (already named 'Position Offset') is the offset to the position of the object the camera position is used on, and the offset is either added in world space or in local space of the object.
    If you want to set the camera to a specific position in the scene and not in relation to an object, you either have to use it as an actor and use the movement steps, or use the 'Use Target Position' option in the camera step - either way you'll need a game object in the scene that marks the position where the camera should be placed.

@MorrisGriffinJr
    Haha, yeah, that'd be a little bit too late :D
    The most crucial stuff is implemented, only the real time battles need a little bit more love ...

Beta11 news
    Mostly background changes regarding battle stuff and how combatants are handled. Shortcuts are implemented, you can give combatants default shortcuts, shortcuts can be called via control maps and the shortcut HUD will display the shortcuts (and let's you use and change them). The player combatant's shortcuts will be saved in a save game :)

Currently doing some thought experiments on optionally having auto real time battles in the field and only switching to other modes if a battle component (or combatant spawner) starts a battle with a different mode. So, when the option would be enabled, the whole game would be a real time battle and you'd always be able to use battle only abilities and items, bring up the battle menu, etc.

Don't know if this will make it into beta11, but also started working on a navigation HUD (new HUD type) - it's not a map system, more like the compass HUDs in games like Skyrim. At least the basic version should make it into the next beta (i.e. displaying the cardinal directions and maybe nearby enemies). The complete navigation HUD will also be able to display all kinds of interactions (item collectors, events, scene changers, etc) and some sort of (quest) markers.

33. Guideborn

Guideborn

Thanks! Only the licensed version will be watermark-free, right?

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

New how-to
    Before implementing the next stuff, I've written a small how-to on >classes<.
    Just some general information on what they can do :)

@MorrisGriffinJr
    Yep, that's right.
    Also something I still have to implement :D

35. cynel

cynel

Hmmmm navigation HUD eh well im not holding my breath if it doesn't make it into beta 11 .

36. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

As I'm making a metroidvania, this would be great!

D'oh. I suppose I'll have to find a workaround then.

Here's another question for down the road, though! Can a method be added for scaling EXP granted for killing a monster, depending on level differences? It's a useful method encouraging a player to proceed (and to reward for extra challenge!), and to discourage a player from grinding indefinitely.

ie.
    Adding the ability to hook a formula up to the scaling method would be awesome.

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Kirbychwan
    That's possible when using formulas for the EXP status developments, but a bit cumbersome and probably wont get you to what you really want ...
    Guess it's best if I add some extra settings for receiving EXP :)

Beta11 news
    Some small productivity feature - the main menu settings now feature a 'Start Event' setting. Simply select a game event that will serve as start event (i.e. set up your player and spawn it), and it will automatically execute when starting a new game. And it'll also execute when using the new 'Start Game' option of the game starter to start immediately in the scene ... so, easier testing :D

Also I'm adding a bit of cosmetics to the editor, nice new icons for some buttons.

38. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Ahh, I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks! I should be able to do it now.
    Beta is coming along pretty well, keep up the good work.

39. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Woot on the EXP settings! And making testing easier is always good. :D

Here's the last question for now! (I promise)

I'm continuing along with my equipment screen, and I noticed a problem, best seen by this example here:

http://i.imgur.com/pl6kNXS.png

Being able to run calculate checks on specific formulas whenever a piece of armor is equipped and unequipped (and have the change be reflected in menus) would be really useful and important, especially for anybody who has Status Values that are indirectly made up of other Status Values. (ie having an overall ATK (Attack Value) being based off of a combination of STR and DEX, weapon damage etc). Having the formula results show up even in preview mode for equipment screens would be amazing!

If there's already a way, forgive me, I must have missed it! I seem to remember Jelly Paladin talking about something similar a few weeks ago, and I think it would be essential for a lot of users.

Thank you for the constant updates, ORK2 is fantastic so far!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  40. Jelly-Paladin

Jelly-Paladin

Yeah, it was both me and (I believe) poofdragon talking about when stats should be recalculated. Equipping things and previewing equipment are definitely two of those times. =)

41. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Kirbychwan
    This requires some kind of combined status value, since the formula's are only used for status development to calculate the growth upon level up.
    Not yet in there, but will come at some point :)

Beta11 news
    Meanwhile the navigation/compass HUD is working great so far, will be mostly complete in beta11 (only missing the quest markers - they require some other stuff to be done first).

42. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Awesome, good to know! :D

I'll keep on working away then.

43. Catacomber

Catacomber

That's so exciting! : )

44. Catacomber

Catacomber

What I don't know about ORK would fill a book. What I've learned is increasing every day. : ) For a long time I wanted to be able to do something to a something, like activating a switch or finding an object and have a wall or pillar or anything else disappear in the same scene or another scene and I couldn't really do it easily before without a scripted walkaround but tonight I figured it out!

I have a nice jar of eyeballs in one scene and inside is a magical object that allows you to remove a wall in a different dungeon. I checked off deactivate object on the jar and set a variable after giving the player a nice message and some strength for being able to overcome fears about fishing around in the jar and retrieving that object. It doesn't matter whether you have that object or not--it matters that you set a variable.

Then, on a wall in another dungeon, I put two events. One checks that the variable is not ok. And you get a message that you need to do something to remove the wall.

Another event checks that the variable is ok and lo and behold when you enter the dungeon the wall is gone. You can proceed to your prize.

I'm just so thrilled. : )

The key is to set a variable on one prefab/object when you get or do something to remove the prefab you want to remove.

And then make two events that check whether or not you set the variable.

And make sure you check off deactivate after event in the event that removes whatever it is in the scene you want to remove. I checked deactivate on the jar of eyeballs so it would disappear and checked deactive on the wall ONLY in the event that checked that you had set the variable when you fished out that nasty thing from the jar of eyeballs. : )

This is basic rpg stuff and now it's so easy. There might be another way to do it but I don't know what that is. :p

This is ORK1. I'm really looking forward to having the time to work with ORK2 but hope to finish my ORK1 game.

I usually don't play with eyeballs unless they're gummy eyeballs or it's Halloween but if fits in in this particular scene. : ) Thanks to the Unity asset store for the jar of eyeballs. : )

Thanks to gamingislove for ORK!

I'd be interested to know if there's another way to do this but this works.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  45. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Catacomber, good tip! I'm positive that will come in useful for us too one of these days. Keep on doing the good work.

46. gamingislove

gamingislove

@catacomber
    That's exactly how it's done.
    I guess I have to do some how-tos on those basic gameplay events - I always thought it's common knowledge how this stuff works :D

Depending on how and what you want to do, there can also be other ways to do this. E.g. when pressing a switch to make walls disappear would work different than your case (collecting something and removing walls with it).

Beta11 news
    Implemented the navigation markers yesterday, with everything needed to make them useful :)
    The 'World' section now has a 'Scene Connections' sub-section, there you can scan all scenes added to Unity's build settings for their connections (i.e. scene changers) and add your own special connections (e.g. if there is some kind of teleport NPC), or remove some of the found connections. This scene connections are used when finding the way to a navigation marker.
    You can set/remove navigation markers in the event system.

Of course, this is no pathfinding, and the system wont know if you can actually reach a scene changer (but it knows when the scene changer is useable due to variable conditions). If the marker is in another scene, the navigation HUD will display the marker at a scene changer of the current scene that ultimately leads to the marker's scene (optionally multiple paths can be found).

47. Catacomber

Catacomber

What's the right way to do that again? : ) Press a switch and make a wall disappear? :D

And what's the correct way to press a switch and make a wall appear? : )

I think some how-tos on basic gameplay would be helpful. : )

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  48. Frogames

Frogames

@gamingislove

I found a little bug in the Save Game Menu.
    That only happens when the list of available slots includes an autosaved game: For instance when I save a game in the third slot, it's saved in the second one. If I save it the first one, it's saved in the autosave.

Speaking of Save Game Menu, do you plan to expose to scripts the Save Game mechanics? I need to save games in specific slots without the intervention by the player.

Another question (sorry if you have already answered) : any plan about adding Tooltips for items, weapons, abilities ... ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  49. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

For mouse-overs? Not certain about that specifically, but you can always use the description-type sections of menus. Maybe there's a way to set a GUI menu at the mouse cursor as to simulate a mouse-over tooltip.

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

@catacomber
    Similar to your case. Set a game variable when interacting with the switch and use 'Variable Checker' components on the walls to check for the variable. If a wall is in the same scene as the switch, you may need to add it as an actor to the switch event and remove it with an 'Activate Object' step (i.e. deactivate it).

To make a wall appear, it's just the other way round :D
    The variable checkers would remove the walls if the variable isn't set, and the event will activate them.

@Frogames
    Yes, that's a bug - fixed in beta11.
    I guess I'll write a how-to on the save game topic - simply put: call ORK.SaveGame.Save(int index) to save the game to a file index.
    Yes, I have a plan to make tooltips when hovering over stuff - will be a new type of HUD, don't know if it'll be in beta11 already, but since it's the big HUD update beta, I guess it'll make it in there.