Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games like Lord of Ultima Evony?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wesker, Nov 7, 2010.

1. wesker

wesker

Greetings,

I wish to make a game. I am a pretty good concept artist. I have written down all my ideas for my game. From how it will work to what the world will look like etc. I have been working on it on and off for about 2 years and I finally have the base for it.

I am working on it alone so there is nobody who is helping me and that is why it took such a long time. I have around 600 pages of everything, from game mechanics to titles, to icons etc.

My question is, with Unity can I make a world like in Lord of Ultima?

I do not wish it to be 2D, more like 3d. I was thinking something in the lines of Medieval 2 total war world map.

My question is, can it be done with Unity? Basicly my game is a blend between Lord of Ultima, (it will have the same mechanics etc) meaning it will be text based. No animations or anything like that. Instead you recruit units and you only see the number of units you have. Then you can send them to take over a castle, plunder a city etc.

This is a very good video that shows the mechanics of Lord of Ultima and that is what I wish to do. I want to know can it be done with Unity ? If not, which engine can it be done with? This will not be a browser based game like in lord of ultima.

I probably have missed to add something and I have asked can it be done with Unity way to many times but there it is. If you have any questions ask away. But please stay on topic. Also Is there some kind of tutorial on how to make a world like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLEjWik190&feature=related

Where do I begin? Are there tutorials for this type of game? Can it be done with the free version?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's nothing stopping you from doing pretty much anything you want in Unity. You begin by getting a good general background in programming, because an in-depth strategy game is not going to be simple to do.

--Eric

3. wesker

wesker

Thanks, so I should learn Javascript? C? Anything the game engine uses and I will be able to do it?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Some kind of computer language. ;) I might be inclined to recommend ActionScript 3 for Flash, because there's a ton of game-oriented ActionScript learning material, and it's similar to Unityscript.

--Eric