Search Unity

WIP - Whirlpool Arena [Pirates and Ship Battle-Building Game]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Clave, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Clave

Clave

Project failed :(

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

I must say the idea is pretty good. I do not know how you got it, maybe from minecraft. Does not matter. Potentially, I can be a good game. So far you are missing proper desing

3. Clave

Clave

Thanks! Initially, my plan was just ship battles and allowing players to select pre-made ships. Yes, the Build a Ship part was inspired from Minecraft after I played it. I think the idea is good, i dont have to model any ships and it gives the player a flexible customization.

4. dbp

dbp

the idea is fun, but how long does it take to make a new ship from scratch?

5. Clave

Clave

The video above when im building a ship, it took me around 55 minutes. If I manage to get a database, I would allow players to save their ship, right now im just saving it to a txt file. A ship with 2000+ blocks = 40kb of txt file.

6. multivac

multivac

It would be cool if the shape of your ship played a critical role in your battles, like small and sleek ships maneuver faster and are harder to hit, but built from the less blocks = having less HP
    By comparing water surface area covered by ship,with the amount of blocks used and ship height, you get a crude hydrodynamic viability simulation too,to rule out outlandish designs.
    And per-block destruction and flooding of compartments with cellular automata, like water in Minecraft :D
    Damn, now I want to make something like that myself :p

7. Clave

Clave

yes that would be a great idea, about the per-block destruction i thought about that some blocks are like made from wood, iron etc. stronger = durability, You would have to protect your cannons from getting hit too. Im also thinking of effects like splattering of wood chunks, shaking of camera when the ship is hit, burning of random spot in the ship when hp's too low. But im still kinda avoiding heavy effects right now, im a aiming for webplayers, and i dont have access to occlusion culling. But i'll give it a go some time to see the performance.

8. LamentConfig

LamentConfig

That looks really really awesome :) can't wait to see a webplayer :D