Search Unity

iOS Pro and Post-Processing Effects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Malveka, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Malveka

Malveka

I recently acquired iOS Pro for other reasons (for which it is working very well), but I also noticed that in the license comparison chart it claims to support full screen post-processing effects. Whenever I attempt to apply any of the included effects (glow, fisheye, depth of field, etc.) to my camera, however, I always get an error message at runtime stating:

"Effect is not supported on this platform."

I'd like to get an official statement on what is, and is not, supported in the way of post-processing effects in iOS Pro.

Thanks!

Mal

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I would have definately thought DOF is possible on iphone 3GS onwards, in fact I know this with 100% proof as I've seen it. I think we might need to make our own though? more information would be good.

A lot of the shaders in unity are probably quite "heavy" for mobile too.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yes you will have to make your own.
    The one provided is for the desktop

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Marc do you have a suggestion where we could start with an iphone DOF shader?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

I would start at pages as well as books where you can read about GLSL and papers on DOF

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. Malveka

Malveka

Let me clarify...

What I'm looking for here is a statement as to what it means that "Full Screen Post-Processing Effects" are supported by iOS Pro but are *not* supported in the iOS package. What functionality, relevant to this feature, is included in iOS Pro that is absent in iOS basic? Clearly it is not the ability to use the full screen post-processing effect scripts and shaders that are shipped with the Unity package.

If possible, I'd very much appreciate an answer from a Unity representative. Not that I'm opposed to answers from others, but I would really like to get the official word on what distinction is being drawn here in the comparison of these two Unity licenses. If, in reality, there is no actual distinction then I think some action to correct the comparison table is in order.

Thanks,
    Mal

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Render Textures are on any platform Pro only.

As a consequence implementing own shadows, PostFX, reflection, refraction and comparable are impossible. Same goes for usage of an offscreen camera to render a interactive 3d element into a gui

8. Malveka

Malveka

I have, by way of intense investigation, profound contemplation and *cough* dumb luck *cough*, discovered the answer to my question. I record it here for the sake of our posteriors, err...posterity.

The missing piece of the puzzle was a little gem of an option in Unity to be found under Edit->Graphics Emulation. When you are using the iOS platform this will have several flavors of iOS device graphics modes available. It appears to choose iPhone MBXlite by default. This version of the iOS platform did not support render textures or post-processing effects. If, however, you choose the option that includes OpenGL ES2.0, voila!, post-processing effects are enabled in editor. Of course, if I had tried building to my iPad I would have discovered that effects like glow do work independent of the emulation setting in the editor. In fact I have now done that and they do work, albeit with a very substantial framerate impact.

So, the iOS comparison chart is quite correct. With the proper iOS device, post-processing effects are indeed supported in iOS Pro.

Cheers!
    Mal

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

render textures should work on all emulations and at least used to do in the last betas and RCs.
    if they no longer do, please report a bug with a replication case

grabpass and postfx on the other end naturally require ES 2.0, as they require programmable pipeline :)