Search Unity

OS Error code -8796

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by acme3D, Oct 26, 2010.

1. acme3D

acme3D

Hi,

I've just converted a project originally done with Unity iPhone Pro 1.7 to 3.0; everything works fine except for UnityGUI texts.

Whenever there is a GUI.Label or GUI.Button in a script I get the error "OS Error code: -8796".
    No text is displayed on labels or buttons, even though buttons react correctly to user's clicks.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it ?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. andeeeee

andeeeee

There doesn't appear to be anything in the bug database about this. Please can you file a bug report (menu: Help > Report A Problem).

3. acme3D

acme3D

I just submitted e bug report with a file.... hope it helps.... Just let me know if I can do some further tests to help you !

4. acme3D

acme3D

I found out the problem: it was a font conflict in Mac OS X; for some reason some fonts ended up two times in two different places (Fonts folder in Library and Fonts folder in user's Library). Looks like Unity was bored by this fact and din't display GUI.Label texts ! (using default GUIskin)
    Moving the duplicate fonts out of the user/Library/Fonts folder solved the problem. (don't use solve font conflicts in Font Book application, it doesn't work).

5. macfinch

macfinch

Hi acme3D.

Thanks for posting this thread. I just came across the same issue while working on an iPhone project.

For the solution, do you mean delete any duplicate fonts from the main directory found in Finder, or a directory inside of one of Unity's folders? I can't find any font files in the User/Library/Fonts folder. Did you delete the duplicates from a different location?

Thanks again
    -M

Code (csharp):
    1. OS Error code: -8796
    2. UnityEngine.GUI:Label(Rect, String)

6. acme3D

acme3D

No, I meant the fonts in OS X's folders; duplicates in Unity's assets should pose no problem since it's up to you to decide what to import and use....

7. macfinch

macfinch

Hi acme3D, thanks for your reply.

Great, all fixed now :)

Just FYI for anyone else who runs in to this problem. I went in to 'Fontbook' application on my mac. The fonts that are duplicated appear with a little yellow exclamation mark next to them. Go to edit -> select all -> Remove Duplicated.

Thanks again acme3D
    - M

8. minevr

minevr

Where is "Remove Duplicated"?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  9. IQpierce

IQpierce

Minevr, make sure you have all the fonts selected, then right-click on the selection group; you should get an option of "resolve duplicates."

This resolved the issue for me too, though I had to restart Unity as well. Thanks for this helpful thread!

10. MalkavianRose

MalkavianRose

It resolved the problem but next time I entered unity it happened again, and this time there are no duplicates to delete:(
    Hope I'll figure some other way to get fonts working, I'll post if that happens

11. MalkavianRose

MalkavianRose

Figured it out finally!

Just in case everyone is in the same situation - if you use a custom font that is not part of OS' native library, you need to add it to the Library/Fonts folder and it will work :)

12. kork

kork

Now really, that can't be the solution. How are you supposed to roll out a game with custom fonts then? Manually install the fonts in the installer?

13. onllm

onllm

i have tried the solutions above no luck at all..dam

14. onllm

onllm

i have tried the solutions above no luck at all..dam

15. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

We're in the same boat. Everything's working fine on my Mac, and the others in my office, where we are all engineers and don't bother much with things like installing additional fonts. But our artist/designer in California, who quite understandably has gathered quite a few custom fonts over the years, can't run our project without getting the dreaded OS error code -8796.

He's followed the instructions on this thread, cleaning up all duplicate fonts, but the problem persists.

We did report a bug, but (as designed) our report has disappeared into the Fog, and so doesn't help us get work done now. Anybody have any other ideas what we can try to work around this problem?

Thanks,
    - Joe

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  16. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

More info: I screen shared with our artist in California today, and we disabled (using Font Book) all fonts except the "Web" group, which is quite minimal. We quit and restarted Unity, and we still get the same error. It occurs both within the editor, and when running an app.

We could reproduce this very easily in a new project. Brand new, empty project works fine. Add a GUI Text to it — leaving all properties at their default values — and suddenly the Console is spewing error -8796. (And at this point, we submitted a bug report from his machine; hopefully this helps you guys pin down the problem.)

I had to leave for another meeting at that point, but a colleague kept working, and reports that when they embed a font in the project, and change the GUI Text to reference that font rather than the default Arial, then the problem seems to go away. So this may offer a work-around, though we still need to try it out in our real project.

This is a nasty little bug — I still don't know why it only occurs on some machines, but if yours is affected, it's a real obstacle to getting any work done. I hope these details will help!

17. zenasprime

zenasprime

Has there been any fix for this issue? I'm getting this error on my laptop even though the project works just fine on my desktop. :(

18. Precursor13

Precursor13

One easy fix that worked for me: Change the font's size, than click apply. Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but I'm not complaining.

19. bournifle

bournifle

Hi,

same error message here... I solved it by just changing the "Character" property of every font from "Dynamic" to "Unicode" in the Unity 3.4.2 editor.

20. Elecman

Elecman

Same problem for me. bournifle's fix did the job.