Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Raycast Normal. Rotation Alignment.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by NinjaTaco, Oct 26, 2010.

1. NinjaTaco

NinjaTaco

I am trying to get an axis of a cube to align itself to the normals of an object. Sounds simple enough right?

How do I get the returned normal that is hit by a raycast to be applied to the rotation of the cube so that alignment occurs?

I found these things which didn't help.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/9704/instantiate-based-on-raycasthit-normal

The unity scripting manual... Which gives a vague description.

RaycastHit.normal
    Description
    The normal of the surface the ray hit.

2. NinjaTaco

NinjaTaco

I found this with some more searching.. I'm not sure if this would work. (I will have to try when I get home)

I am confused as to how an angle of rotation can be calculated by looking at the normals of an object. Because I am thinking a point of reference must be used to distinguish from one degree to another degree of rotation. For calculating the angle of a normal, does unity use the world space as a reference? If not, how does unity determine the angle of rotation for surface normals?

CaseyMack likes this.
  3. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

Short answer: Use Quaternion.SetFromToRotation() or Quaternion.FromToRotation() to compute a rotation that will rotate the cube's current up vector onto the surface normal, and then apply it to the Transform.rotation field to align the cube.

4. NinjaTaco

NinjaTaco

Is there a simple script example that I could see that could illustrate this better?

5. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

It would most likely look something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.rotation = Quaternion.FromToRotation(transform.up, normal) * transform.rotation;
    Can't guarantee I got that exactly right, but it should be something like that.