Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ignore ambient in a surface shader

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by the_gnoblin, Oct 22, 2010.

1. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Hello,

Is it possible to stop a surface shader from reacting to ambient light in a scene?

thanks

2. snakeylake

snakeylake

Hi,
    I think you can use a custom parameter instead of albedo ( also make sure albedo is 0 ). Your shader with custom lighting will use the parameter that you've set. The ambient light shading code which you have no control of ( not that I've figured out yet ) will use albedo of 0 and have no effect.

hope this makes sense

3. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Could you provide an example?
    thanks

4. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

You would have to use a custom lighting function, and thus your shader wouldn't work with the deferred renderer.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Are you sure that the specification of the own lighting function does not work with deferred rendering?
    I was under the impression that they work independent of the rendering path but have not tested with that yet.

6. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

As you know, Unity uses deferred lighting (as opposed to deferred shading) which means that rendering is split into three phases: geometry buffer rendering, the irradiance buffer generation, and the shading pass. If you want to change how the irradiance values are used, you can do that in the shading pass, which is customizable. However, you have no control over the formula used in generating the irradiance buffer, so (for instance) ambient light will always be included there.

Check out Lighting.cginc to see exactly how the two types of lighting functions (forward and prepass) relate to one another.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Guess will have to do that.
    Didn't require own lighting so far, thats why I could happily avoid going down that path (and on the iOS I don't give a *** about it ;)).

Thanks for the hint.

8. God-at-play

God-at-play

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011