Search Unity

MonoDevelop vs. Visual C#

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by maikkel, Oct 20, 2010.

?

What's better?

1. MonoDevelop

36.9%
  2. Visual C#

63.1%
  1. maikkel

maikkel

Hi, i've just decided to switch from JavaScript to C# for my next Project. Which IDE should I use? I like MonoDevelop but Studio Express C# looks quite nice as well... (Visual Studio is no option(Price!))
    Are there any Advantages when Using MonoDevelop over Visual C#? (I Know about the double klicking issue, but I read that this can be solved with a script from the wiki).

What do you suggest? Are there any Experiences with both?

(I use Unity 3 on Windows)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Ostagar

Ostagar

It seems to me Visual Studio Express C# is better at identifying syntax errors, but Unity integrates better with Monodevelop (you can double-click a source file or error and Monodevelop automatically opens at the appropriate point, Monodevelop allows debugging, Monodevelop auto-pulls in Unity library definitions...)

I'm using Monodevelop for my Unity projects and Visual Studio for my non-Unity projects.

3. Ostagar

Ostagar

P.S. - Consider re-wording the poll, "Which is better for Unity development."

4. CommitteeWind

CommitteeWind

Noob question: Is there a way to tell Unity to automatically open a script in either of those programs?

5. Ostagar

Ostagar

storm - Go to Edit | Preferences and point to Monodevelop and it'll open automatically.

If you try to do the same with Visual Studio C#, Unity will print out a warning message saying that's not possible and it will set the default to the built-in (painful by comparison) UniSciTE.

6. maikkel

maikkel

Thanks for the tip, how can I edit the poll?

7. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

That might be true of the Visual Studio Express version, but it's not true of Pro versions. I have been using Visual Studio as my script editor from Unity all along, and it works nearly seamlessly (except for debugging, grrrr).

8. Ostagar

Ostagar

Good clarification. Yes, this is specific to the Express version. Microsoft has to make $$$, too. :)

PS - Note, there is a hack to make it work.

9. Chris-Sinclair

Chris-Sinclair

I was going to say the same. Visual Studio (non-express) properly jumps to the line of a compiler error. Guess this is somehow not supported for Visual C# Express?

I've used C# Express in the past for another project and it worked well, but that was for a pure C#.NET application.

I imagine that when I get around to upgrading to Unity 3.0 I'll keep using Visual Studio and just switch to MonoDevelop for debugging. With all the plugins available for the paid Visual Studio, it's absolutely no contest when it comes to code editing. It's a shame how expensive it is.

10. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

HI guys!

maybe you could help me, how can I set monodev work under my win XP? I still have no unity code completion (it just does C# part) only.
    Thanks!

11. maikkel

maikkel

UnityScript never worked for me in Monodevelop either, but i think it should, since the dlls are there... Never found a solution.

12. dingben

dingben

I thought any language could be used in Visual Studio Pro 2010.
    My Visual Studio Pro 2010 works fine with VB/C#/javascript(ECMA)/VBScript/... on .NET business apps.

I attempted to setup Visual Studio Pro 2010... instead of the UniSciTE editor.
    I set VS 2010 in preferences in the Unity Editor and voila, now the scripts come up in Visual Studio.

...and alas, problems...
    - the intellisense fails on UnityScript constructs leaving the code peppered with squigly underscores all over.
    - The project file for VS was setup for C#... UnityProject.csproj
    - I see no way to set UnityScript as the language in VS-Tools-Options-...

As maikkel mentioned, UnityScript never worked with Monodevelop.
    I read the list of the languages Monodevelop supports, UnityScript is not one, C# is.
    I suspect Visual Studio and Monodevelop do not support UnityScript.
    I had suspected that since UnityScript uses the .js extension... a direct conflict with ECMAjavascript.js

Hopefully I am wrong and someone will give clues for setting up Visual Studio Pro 2010 to work with UnityScript.
    Thank you for any clarifications.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  13. fireside

fireside

You should just need to go to edit/preferences and set Monodevelop as outside scripting. Then go to assets and click sync monodevelop

14. Mike L

Mike L

or, on a mac, you go to unity, preferences, and then follow the other steps listed :p

15. mhutch

mhutch

Stock MonoDevelop does not support UnityScript, but the version provided by Unity does.