Unity Community

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Perfect, thanks prime!

2. Location
    Virginia, USA
    Prime,

I had good success with your Native Interface plugin and based on what I've read here, was getting ready to purchase the Etcetera (sp) plugin. So that I can get going right away when I get home, I had a couple questions:

* Do I need to worry about the compile issue, like I did with the Native Plugin (using latest XCode and Unity didn't compile thing and you had to send me some files via email).

* Can I use the Native and etcetera plugins together?

* How do you resolve the 'power of 2' issue with images? Just from reading, I need to use 'PromptForPhoto()', along with the 'ImagePickerChoseImage()' event. Then, I need to do a TextureFromFileAtPath() on the path and wait until that's done in the 'EtcTextureDelegate()'. Ignoring that I've probably mixed up the details, here's my question. Once I get a Texture2D, what does it give me? In most cases, a photo on their device is not going to be a power of 2, so is it pre-converted in the method? Do I need to convert it to pwer of 2 myself? If it's not converted to power of 2, how do I convert it first to be usable? And, if it is converted, is it scaled or padded? How do I know what the original width/height was in either case?

Thanks,
    Gigiwoo.

3. Posts
    @Gigiwoo, all the production plugins have a new build system that works with Xcode 3 and 4. In fact, the NativeToolkit Plugin was updated Friday to have the build system now as well though I don't know if/when Unity will push the update out to everyone.

You can use as many plugins as you want together. They are all designed to work synergistically.

No need to do any post processing of the image. Simply prompt for photo then call textureFromFileAtPath and you will end up with a useable Texture2D. If you want to know the original dimensions all files are stored in the Documents directory so you can just open it up in Unity and get the details.

4. Location
    Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime31 View Post
    @Gigiwoo, No need to do any post processing of the image. Simply prompt for photo then call textureFromFileAtPath and you will end up with a useable Texture2D. If you want to know the original dimensions all files are stored in the Documents directory so you can just open it up in Unity and get the details.
    Sorry, I'm still not quite clear. Since power of 2 is required, I assume you are saying that the resulting image IS converted to a power-of-2 size? I am also going to assume that the image is 'stretched' to fit the next largest size? So, 1024x768 becomes 1024x1024 and the Y is stretched?

Could you be more specific about how to open an image in Unity and get the size without Unity automatically converting it again to a power of 2? I know this stuff seems basic, but if I was an expert at all these system parts of Unity/IOS, I wouldn't need to buy your expert plugin .

Thanks,
    Gigiwoo.

5. Posts
    @Gigiwoo, the WWW class is used to load the textures so power of 2 is not required. You can certainly crop the image to power of 2 to get the most efficient texture possible but then you risk the possibility of removing part of the image the user wanted.

6. Location
    Virginia, USA
    Prime,

Thanks! I bought the plugin and it is looking super so far. The demo scenes ran straight away with no problems.

Questions (do I ever not have questions?) -

* How much of the plugin can you use with Javascript? So far, i have been able to do several of the behaviors.

* By design, are we supposed to leave the prefabs alone and just create the scripts like you did for EtceteraGUIManager, two, three?

* Is there a way to list all the files in the photo album? Instead of just picking one, can I walk through them myself? Like with a next/prev button?

* ever since I installed the plugin, when I build and go over to XCode, it has lost my build Scheme for the IPad connected to my box. In it's place is a MacOS setting. To get the ipad scheme back, I have to quit XCode and reopen. This only started AFTER I added the Etcetera package to Unity.

So far, looks great!
    Gigiwoo.
    Last edited by Gigiwoo; 04-25-2011 at 08:09 PM.

7. Posts
    @gigiwoo, everything in all of our plugins is accessible from JavaScript. That being said we are on a crusade to get people to stop using it at all costs. C# has many features available to it that JS does not, it has literally thousands more tutorials/references, code complete with C# alone makes a programmer so much more efficient, and a ton more but I digress...

All of our plugins use the same naming conventions. Any prefab named *Manager should be in the first scene of your game. It is used for communicating from native to Unity. Preabs named *EventListener are only there as an example of how go listen to events. You can copy/paste what you need from it but it is not at all needed by the plugin.

The photo picker is a GUI only. Listing their names wouldn't be too useful as they are just UIDs.

8. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    @Prime31, does ShowActivityView have any way to be placed in a specific location on the screen? or at least moved out of the center to some other location? I need to have the UIView in the lower left of the screen.

Cheers
    Bryan

9. Posts
    @bpritchard, the activity view is always displayed centered. You could modify the source to make it wherever you want.

10. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Heya Prime,

So I'm not super familiar w/native code.. so i need to change it in the source files (.h/.m) or the plugin .cs? If u could point me in to the right file and a general direction as to where in that file i'm sure i could find it easily enough.

Thanks again!
    Bryan

11. Posts
    I don't have the source available right now but you will want to just search for UIActivity and you will find it.

12. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    @prime31

Ok so i've just moved to my new laptop this morning and am trying to get my builds working... and i get this error..

Code:  
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture armv6:
    2.   "_getScreenshot", referenced from:
    3.       __etceteraShowMailComposerWithScreenshot in EtceteraBinding.o
    4.       __etceteraTakeScreenShot in EtceteraBinding.o
    5. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv6
    6. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I've checked it against my other laptop which can build fine and i have all the correct items added and in place. I did NOT install the plugins but instead used what i had checked into our repository and i did notice that if i do a clean build i do not get any of the items (etc code folder for instance) moved over to the xcode project. I had to manually copy them over.

THanks for the help!
    Bryan

13. Posts
    @bpritchard, the first thing I would do is make sure the post process scripts are executable. This error is almost 100% due to the AppController not getting patched so also double check that you are using the correct patch file (if you are using the latest version of Unity and the plugin there is no need to worry about that).

14. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    ok i did get the message in unity stating my process scripts are not executable.. not entirely sure how to remedy this. Do i just chmod those files?

Thanks again!
    Bryan

15. Posts
    @bpritchard, yup, just chmod a+x the files and you should be good to go.

16. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    ok i did that, alls good and i get an all clear when i check in unity but if i build now i still don't get any references to the included plugins. Hmm... odd. Its been a while since i set these up in unity, so i'm a little off if there's something i need to trigger to get these scripts to fire off. I just remember that on my other laptop they would pop up that message anytime i would run the build on a clean build.... telling me they were installed.

17. Posts
    @bpritchard, you shouldn't have to do any more than pressing the Build button. If you don't get the popup, something either went wrong or the scripts didnt get to run. What version of Xcode are you using? Is you iOS SDK installed in the default location (/Developer)?

18. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    @prime31

Possible. This is all fresh install stuff so that could be the case. I'm using xcode 4 (although i regret every second of it but i was using it on my old laptop as well.. same environment). Installed in the default developer location. I'm using the latest version of unity and i have Game Center, Etcetera, and StoreKit plugins. I haven't updated them in a bit... but i believe i'm using the latest Etcetera and Storekit for sure. I have the files checked into my local repository for this project and have updated my new mac to use the repository (svn). They all show up in Unity, i get the menus and such and when i run the check for errors thing i get an all clear.

I really appreciate the help!
    Cheers
    Bryan

19. Location
    Dallas, Tx
    @prime

Maybe this is helpful? if i use the plist editor and try and make a change i get this error message in unity.

Code:  
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. PListEditor.SaveValueToPlistNode (System.Xml.XmlNode node, System.Object value) (at Assets/Editor/Prime31/PListEditor.cs:428)
    3. PListEditor.SaveDictToPlistNode (System.Xml.XmlNode node, System.Collections.Hashtable dict) (at Assets/Editor/Prime31/PListEditor.cs:407)
    4. PListEditor.savePlistToFile (System.String xmlFile, System.Collections.Hashtable plist) (at Assets/Editor/Prime31/PListEditor.cs:118)
    5. Prime31PlistHelperWizard.OnWizardCreate () (at Assets/Editor/Prime31/Prime31PlistHelperWizard.cs:70)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    7. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    9. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    10. UnityEditor.ScriptableWizard.OnGUI ()
    11. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    12. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    13. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    14. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
    17. UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI ()

20. Posts
    @bpritchard, Xcode 4...my nemisis. I bet that is the issue. Make sure you update all your plugins and totally delete the post process scripts before reimporting. We made a totally new release system to handle the bugs with Xcode 4 and chances are you have some half and half happening with regards to the plugins included build system version.

There is one benefit to using Xcode 4: you get a console readout of everything the plugin does while post processing. Just open up Console.app and filter for "prime31" while building to see what is happening.

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast