Search Unity

Cinema 4D R12 plugin patch (early beta version)

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Paulius-Liekis, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

Hi,

Cinema 4D R12 plugin for Unity is available - early beta version is attached to this post.

How to install it:

Make sure you have Unity-C4DToFBXConverter folder under "CINEMA 4D R12\plugins", i.e.
    • on Windows I would expect it to be: C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R12\plugins\Unity-C4DToFBXConverter
    • on Mac I would expect it to be: Applications/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R12/plugins/Unity-C4DToFBXConverter
    If Unity-C4DToFBXConverter folder doesn't exist in your "CINEMA 4D R12\plugins" folder, then open Unity and try importing C4D file - it should create Unity-C4DToFBXConverter folder.

Extract one of the zip files into Unity-C4DToFBXConverter folder
    • on Windows after extracting you should see two new files: Unity-C4DToFBXConverter12.cdl and Unity-C4DToFBXConverter12.cdl64
    • on Mac after extracting you should see one new file: UNITY-C4DToFBXConverter_12UB.dylib

After that you should be able to import C4D files directly into Unity.

What this plugin does: it fixes direct import of C4D files into Unity (when using Cinema4D R12)

What this plugin DOES NOT: it doesn't fix any fbx export problems from Cinema4D. Unity-C4DToFBXConverter plugin just uses native fbx export plugin in Cinema4D.

Reporting issues:

If you have positive or negative feedback - please post here.

If imported mesh doesn't look right I would appreciate if you could import same mesh using Cinema 4D R11/R11.5 - if it has same problem then it means that the problem is not caused by the new plugin.

Keep in mind that this is very early beta, which means:
    • We're releasing it early, because we want to help you
    • There is no 100% guarantee that it works on all meshes/all configurations

Attached Files:

2. ippdev

ippdev

I just downloaded and installed. I saved a C4D file (unskinned mesh) to my Assets Mesh&Tex folder then opened Unity3. Two seconds later the C4D icon popped up opening an instance and almost immediately my model appeared as it did prior (Unity2.6 w/ R10.5) in my Assets/Mesh&Text folder. I am now officially thrilled again with the C4D->FBX->Unity pipeline. It even got rid of the icon in the dock when done with the app instance. Woot!

Thanks for the effort Paulius!

BTH

3. unseenthings

unseenthings

Outstanding -- I don't have R12 yet, but I very much appreciate your dedication to getting a good workflow from Cinema to Unity.

4. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

(Tested on R11.5 Mac)

For anyone wondering, 64 bit c4d on mac works like it should. And the plugin behaves as expected. Major thanks Paulius! This allows me to save my files in c4d format and make my pipeline a bit better.

5. cbullock

cbullock

Awesome! It works 100% perfectly so far on my Mac using C4d 12 (with their latest updates). As previously said - this is a HUGE workflow boost, as anyone using (or trying to use I should say) C4d 12 before this would know, it didn't work...
    Now it does :)

I realize it's only a beta version, but I definitely want to say THANKS a ton for posting this early, I really appreciate it. So far, I just tested it with a few simple models and C4d scenes, but it DID successfully import...the scene's model(s), correct texture(s), and at least simple animation tracks (that's all I've tried so far)...so yes, on my Mac Pro using C4D v12, in 64-bit mode, (at least) all of the "simple" things were imported/exchanged in perfect sync with Unity 3 Pro.

I haven't tried much more than that yet, but will definitely be keeping up with this thread and again, just want to say thanks a ton for releasing this for us.

6. Krodil

Krodil

so now we can forget FBX, yipii! What about the new rigging in R12?

7. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What? It's still FBX - it just does it without you having to do it manually again. (?)

8. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

Yes, it still uses FBX plugin to do the conversion (which means that if there are problems in FBX export there will be problems in import using this plugin). So the only thing it does - imports automatically from C4D (through FBX) into Unity.

9. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Thaks ... I see. :=)

My reply was meant for Krodil:
    Sorry for the confusion :)

10. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, which things still doesn't work (because of the broken FBX-Export-Function in R12)?

11. cbullock

cbullock

Typing this from my iPhone, sorry for being short. Fingers are tired :)
    The main thing that at least *I* am getting out of this early release of the exchanger plugin is that, when using C4d 12, say you model an object and just hit cmd-s (save/save as). When you save it, it saves it as a default C4d document file. Now however, I have no clue to what that is, but as a wild guess to which I am probably 100% wrong, I am guessing that possibly the native C4d doc file is somewhat of a 'container' type file MAYBE (again totally guessing here so please take with grain of salt or less) that container which is the C4d default save type, has the data formatted inside of it formatted kind of like FBX version.?.
    OR perhaps that is completely wrong really isn't even the point of what I meant to post.

All I meant to say was that users of C4d v12 and Unity v3 can now just hit the default Save not have to manually choose "Export using FBX...blah" every time and such - which is actually a pretty big pain after doing it all day long ;)
    So this plugin fixes that and lets us do it the easy way and just hit Save. And this new plugin now does its magic, again I'm unsure of what that entails, but it works so far for me.
    And it was really cool to have it released early by the Unity team for users of C4d 12, even though it is in beta. Because so far it works for all things I have tried so far to use it for and it works great and is SO much easier than having to re-export each time and save-over the old file.
    I hope that makes some sense and helps someone :)
    If not, sorry - I usually just end up talking too much and confusing everyone around me. But if you are a Unity user AND also use the newest Cinema 4D version 12 apps together, I think you probably know already what I am talking about and how this helps all of us. And if you do use these tools together, I would recommend for sure to download the link above and give it a go in your workflow until the Final comes out, or at least try and IF you do run into any errors, definitely post them back on here so the Unity developer(s) can see your error/problem/bug and hopefully fix it for all of us.

Whew that was a lot more typing err finger-pecking then I thought it'd be.

12. gl33mer

gl33mer

@theinfomercial - You say you're using r11.5 - so why use this plugin if it is intended for r12? All it supposedly does is opens the C4D instance and automatically exports FBX from there.

But you got it to run on R11.5? (For me r11.5 already does this although the FBX is problematic)

13. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I use the plugin because it allows me to use 64 bit c4d with Unity, and thus allow me to save my files natively without having to be in 32 bit mode in c4d.

14. RikcoDE

RikcoDE

First test works great with C4D R12 and Unity 3.1 on my Mac,

and using seperate selections in the model with different textures works also fine and save sooo much time!

big thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  15. Adamo

Adamo

I have Cinema 4D R11.532, Cinema 4D R12 and Utity 3.1.0f4 (Pro) all running on a Windows 7 PC.
    My Unity could not created neither
    C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R12\plugins\Unity-C4DToFBXConverter
    nor
    C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R12\plugins\Unity-C4DToFBXConverter
    directories to automatically install the C4DToFBXConverter converter. (I did run the Unity as Administrator)

I've copied a model file (built in C4D R12) into my asset directory in Unity. The Unity give me the following error message "Cinema 4D couldn't convert the .C4D file to an fbx file. Try exporting the .C4D file to an fbx file manually." When I run the Unity as user, the same error persisted.

I've manually created C:\Program Files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R12\plugins\Unity-C4DToFBXConverter directory and copied the content of the Unity-C4DToFBXConverter12-Win.zip file. I've run the Unity as normal user, and it asked me to run the Unity as Administrator to install the plugin. I did what it said, run the Unity as Administrator. When I try to reimport the model, I've got the previous error message again sying ;"Cinema 4D couldn't convert the .C4D file to an fbx file. Try exporting the .C4D file to an fbx file manually."

As far as I understand from the other people's messages, many people happly work with C4D R11.5, C4D R12 and Unity 3.1 combinations. But, I could not find a particular message indicating specificly Windows 7.

Is there any body outthere with Windows 7 and still able to use C4D R11.5, C4D R12 with Unity 3.1 ?
    Can you please advise me what should I do to make it work?

As you may know C4D R12 files can not be opened in C4D R11.5. I do want to keep some of my C4D R11.5 files as it is (i.e. not upgraded to C4D R12). Hence I do want to be able to use both C4D R11.5 and C4D R12 with Unity 3.1 Pro.

I would greatly appreciate any advise.

Thx
    -Adamo