Search Unity

Connection to master server fails

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ColossalDuck, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Every time I try to connect to the master server, it fails. This didn't happen in 2.6, so I presume it is because of the raknet upgrade, and if this is the case, I would like to have the source code for the new master server as soon as possible.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

the source code is online already actually for the whole stuff so you can (and must) host your own one for your game

3. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

So the source code is online already? Awesome thanks. :D

Sorry, but I don't understand the rest of your sentence?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

the rest just means that the sources allow you to host your master server + xxx setup to use :)

5. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Oh, ok. Thanks :D.

Time to download that source code and compile it on my server... tomorrow.

6. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Okay, so I have spent the past 3 hours trying to remember linux terminal stuff and I have succeeded to build and run my masterserver.

Yay.

But, the connection fails. Just for fun, I tried to build one on my windows machine, and use 127.0.0.1(localhost), and it still fails to connect.
    Where is the unity3 master server source code, or what am I doing wrong?

7. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry but the source hasn't been updated on the website. You can download it here (it's the final version):
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/8020885265/download_servers.html

Unity 3 by default uses our provided servers (for testing and leisure stuff), so if you set the ip/ports to some custom server for 2.6 (and use the same project in 3.0), just unsetting them and using the defaults should work.

8. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

There we be, thank you very much. I will post my results by the end of tonight.

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

So I had a bit more time than I expected to, and have tested it on localhost. No complaints and it worked :D. Just got to compile it for My linux server now, and test it online. Thanks Larus.

10. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Just got it working on my linux server.

A warning, the memory usage of the master server scales with its max connection number. For example, I tried 20,000 and it took 180MB of memory. Since I only have a 128MB VPS, it pretty much crashed and I had to reboot.

I changed it to 14,000, and all is fine. Quite frankly if I surpass 14,000 any time soon, I will be suprised(and have quite enough money to upgrade).

Just a tip.

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

14k is a massive number of connections indeed ;-)

also if you don't use the proxy, there won't be more than a few hundred connections at all ( independent of how successful, not even CS and alike have more than a few hundred servers in their listing) as players don't connect permanentely to the master server :)

12. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Heh heh, thanks for the reassurance :D. Thanks again Larus.

13. mrwhite69

mrwhite69

=> Hi Larus,

if I let default values, I have this log:

OnFailedToConnectToMasterServer(info)=>

"The connection request to master server at 72.52.207.14:23466 failed. Are you sure it can be "connected to?

==>
    what are the IP/Port for each services , it is hard to find a post where the whole is written ... ?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  14. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

I am also getting the failure to connect to master server.

Dreamora, I was not aware we had to compile our own Master Server-- I thought Unity provided one for us (and thus defaulted it to theres?). I believe in the networking tutorials, Unity wrote that one could compile a Master Server if he or she wanted to, but nowhere did they imply that it was necessary-- just that it was possible, especially if y ou wanted to seperate out the Facilitator from the Master Server.

15. invulse

invulse

Apparently the master server and facilitator are down right now. I just compiled and ran both master server and facilitator on my vps, switched the ip's to my vps's ip and ports, and that fixed my issues.

16. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Yuck-- that is certainly not good. I'm not so fortunate to be able to switch everything around, everyhting is hard coded into an iPhone app that is already deployed.

Also, I found this part in the Docs:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Unity Technologies has a dedicated Master Server available for anyone to use which is the default server used.
    Looks like I will be working on a fail over project next.

17. mrwhite69

mrwhite69

One important question to me:
    --------------------------------------------
    With the latest version of the ConnectionTester , the server does not start if it doesn't find 4 public address on the
    server... do you have the trouble ? I looked at the previous version (for 2.6) and this was not done this way.

How did you solve the issue on your server ?

Cheers

18. mrwhite69

mrwhite69

==> YES , Solved

19. Zwakstroom

Zwakstroom

@mrwhite69 How did you solve the 4 public address issue? Please tell me :)