Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing sounds - choosing randomly between three

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by FtsrelliK, Oct 10, 2010.

1. FtsrelliK

FtsrelliK

This is something I don't have a clue about. If I have a weapon that makes a sound each time it instantiates fires, how could I make it choose between three similar, but different sounds?

I also want to make this kind of thing happen for vehicles, and explosions - when they explode, to choose one of three... Would this use a similar type of scripting?

2. Vicenti

Vicenti

Arrays and Random :)
    Code (csharp):
    1. var things : Thing[];
    3. function Blargh() {
    4.  var chosenThing : int = Random.value * (X-1);
    5.  things[ chosenThing ].DoSomething();
    6. }
    things can be assigned in the Inspector view.

3. TwiiK

TwiiK

Random.value returns a float between 0.0 and 1.0. If you convert that to int I think it will always return 0. And eitherway I don't see your logic of returning 0 or 1 * (X-1). What is X? And you would return 0 or X-1 in either case, not really random.

I would do:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var sounds : AudioClip[];
    3. function PlayRandomSound() {
    4.     audio.clip = sounds[Random.Range(0, sounds.Length)];
    5.     audio.Play();
    6. }
    If you have an array with 3 sounds those 3 sounds will be array[0], array[1], array[2]. If you use sounds.Length on that array it will return 3 and thus you would normally have to use sounds.Length - 1 to avoid trying to access array[3] which doesn't exist, but Random.Range() never returns max when used with int so it will only return the numbers 0, 1, 2 which suits us perfectly.

I use C# so the syntax may be incorrect.

4. AkilaeTribe

AkilaeTribe

@TwiiK : I see you never programmed anything on the TI-82 (or, you always used languages providing such comfort, as Random.Range (start : int, end : int)) :)

Sure, Random.value returns something between 0.0 and 1.0. By multiplying this value by X, you get a value between 0.0 * X and 1.0 * X (so, 0.0 and X, as simple as that). What is X, do you ask ? Simply a variable Vicenti forgot to declare / assign, but it is not the most difficult (the most efficient would be var X : int = things.length.

When comfort isn't present, you have to manage. But since it is present (Random.Range), why bothering in using tricks like this ? ;)

5. TwiiK

TwiiK

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. The javascript syntax makes thing less clear for me as well. :)

Eitherway X shouldn't really be X at all. Anything other than things.Length wouldn't make sense in this case. Just saying. :)

6. Vicenti

Vicenti

Ha, what, we have a functional Range function?
    jawdrop
    Unity is so <3.

X originally made sense but I safed-up the code a bit and it got left in there accidentally.

The Random.Range from Twiik is a better solution. :)

7. AkilaeTribe

AkilaeTribe

I disagree ! One year of spaghetti code, and you produce a heavy monster programmer...:)

8. Vicenti

Vicenti

I mean Random.Range[0,length] is more good reading, heh, than Random.value * (length-1), since it specifically states what it's doing (random value from range), while Random.value is just a random value.