Search Unity

iPhone Simulator ?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Randy-Edmonds, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

I thought Unity iOS games were supposed to be able to run in Apple's iPhone Simulator now?

The app builds, installs and run greats on the actual iPad... but when I switch Xcode to target the simulator, the build fails (see attached screenshot).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

as far as I'm aware its not working as per 3.0 from what I recall from the changelist notes

also for the ipad it would be totally useless as the simulator is that crap slow that you could not even do basic memory profiling (which is the only thing the simulator allows at all for unity games as input testing etc works much better through the remote)

3. User340

User340

Actually it works perfectly in the iPhone simulator. Just set the SDK Version to Simulator 4.1 in the player settings, then hit build and run!

4. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

It would be useful in my situation.... I'm part of a development team create an iPad application for a large company, the app will be used to display business data in "exciting ways". Most all coding will be done in Objective-C and UIKit... I would like to leverage Unity to create "exciting" displays of the business data. I have managed to modify the Unity-generated Xcode project to play well with UIKit and display the Unity EAGLview in a small window... but f we can't run the Xcode project in the simulator my boss will not "buy" the use of Unity.

5. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

@Daniel That worked. Thanks!

To recap... I had to set the SDK Version to "Simulator 4.0" in UNITY's Player Settings (not just switch the target in Xcode).

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

not sure if thats still needed. there should be two applications in your project, the second one being the _sim one which should use the x86 libraries.

prior though yes it was required to use the simulator target.

also, for ipad you need to use the 3.2 simulator anyway, there is no ipad simulator on 4.0 and 4.1, only on 4.2
    if you use 4.0 and 4.1 you will normally get the iphone 4 simulator, don't you?

7. ibyte

ibyte

I am trying to use the simulator target for iPhone 4.1 but i get a

RegisterMonoModules.cpp:60:0 RegisterMonoModules.cpp:60: error: 'mono_dl_register_symbol' was not declared in this scope

On method calls in external source files included in my project?

Does the DLL Import statement have to change for the simulator?

[DllImport ("__Internal")]

iByte

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. groovfruit

groovfruit

I have a question about this too (not sure if it's related)..... but when I build to the simulator (4.1), on the normal iphone simulator it looks great. But if (in simulator menu) I switch to "iPhone 4" i see nothing.... nothing at all (not even the icon for the app on the home screen in the simulator).

9. SGDavid

SGDavid

So I'm running into the same linker problems in the screenshot.

I have Xcode 3.2.5 and it only builds for iOS 4.2.
    I am using Unity 3.1.0f4.

Is it even possible to use a simulator with this combo above?

Thanks!

10. SGDavid

SGDavid