Search Unity

Mesh Modifiers

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SpookyCat, Oct 4, 2010.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All

Been messing some more with Mesh Modifiers and I've done a video to show some of the effects possible. It behaves like the Modifier system that can be found in max (and any other 3d software I imagine) so the user can have a stack of operations to produce an end result, the order can be changed as well etc.
    [video=youtube;GBmgtjyAFaw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBmgtjyAFaw
    Some of the 40+ supported deformations:

• Bend
    • Bubble
    • Displace
    • FFD (2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4) (Lattice in Maya)
    • Hump
    • Melt
    • Morph
    • Noise
    • Path Deform
    • Push
    • Radial Skew
    • Relax
    • Ripple
    • Skew
    • Spherify
    • Stretch
    • Taper
    • Twist
    • Vertex Animation
    • Wave
    • XForm
    Any number of modifiers can be applied to a mesh or skinned mesh and each can be turned off. Each modifier can have its own offset to alter the effect on the mesh. If no updates to a modifier takes place then it takes no CPU time which makes it quite handy for in game effects. The video above only shows a selection of the modifiers working, I will do a another video to show the FFD for example. Much more information can be found at http:www.west-racing.com/mf
    Chris

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Westmark

Westmark

That looks REALLY cool :D

Are you doin this with shaders or? (vertex manipulation)

3. AVividLight

AVividLight

That looks great! Are you selling/giving it away? Or are you just showing it off... Whatever it is you do with it, it looks great...

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

:) It's being done on the CPU at the moment, I could possibly do some shaders to recreate some of it on the GPU but it would reduce the functionality a bit, but it really doesn't perform badly as is and once a deformation is set then no CPU time is needed, if it were done by shaders then it would be constantly doing the deformation. But yes it would be nice to have the choice.

Thinking about maybe making it stand alone system that could be sold I guess, comes down to how much time I get away from our main projects to support it all.

Chris

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Added another modifier to the system.

6. melmonkey

melmonkey

My questions:

*Have you recreated all the modifiers yourself in Unity, or are you getting the information from Max?

*If you have recreated the modifiers, does this mean that those modifiers could be applied to any arbitrary geometry in Unity?

Either way, very nice stuff, indeed.

7. ZJP

ZJP

:cool:
    Where is the "PAYPAL" button :D

JP

8. kenshin

kenshin

Amazing works! :)

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have recreated all the modifiers in Unity so yes they can be applied to any mesh in the inspector like any other script, I also have the data being exported from Max (I don't own Maya so have not done any of my systems for that but it's something I might do if I ever get some spare time) directly to Unity so it is easier for the artist and saves them having to try an match it all up.

10. Inkognito

Inkognito

THIS is seriously awesome!
    I'd deffinatly buy it (well, if I can afford it).
    Do it!
    Now!

11. duke

duke

I'd definitely buy them, but only if they come with source code so I can roll my own modifiers, and gain zee knowledge from looking at the code! Otherwise its another blackbox :(

12. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Will this be for sale? I see this being extraordinarily useful in the future!

13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Can you animate/modify the path while they object is following it?

14. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thinking I might put the system up for sale but it's very much a case of finding the time to support it etc.

And yes you can fully animate the path in the Path Deform modifier, actually I could expand that to use my Path Follow controller to allow any number of paths with weights. Depends if my artist shouts at me that he wants that functionality :)

Also planning on doing the world space warps and maybe the flex modifier, but I understand Unity 3 has soft bodies so probably should wait till I can upgrade to do that one.

15. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Wow, that looks great! Nice work SpookyCat! :)

16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Add some Warps and World Space Modifiers.

17. Foam Sleeve

Foam Sleeve

Hats off to you SpookyCat!
    Was hoping 3.0 would have something like this built in, but am glad people who know how to whip stuff like this up are out there.

I too would like to chime-in on the making it available sometime, somehow bandwagon.

18. malyna

malyna

Sick !

19. victor-biosphera

victor-biosphera

Please SpookyCat

"THIS is seriously awesome!!!!
    I'd deffinatly buy it (well, if I can afford it).

Do it!
    Now!"

Victor

20. half_voxel

half_voxel

I have just one thing to say:
    Wow!

21. skledarg

skledarg

Wow this is pretty amazing! I definitely hope you'll decide to make this available for sale asap :)

Goran

22. hankphone

hankphone

no kidding, I'm in!

23. LamentConfig

LamentConfig

This stuff is seriously cool - I would be intrested to know the actual FPS you are getting and what your specs are ?

24. victor-biosphera

victor-biosphera

Why it wasnt in the asset store?

Victor

25. wimeck

wimeck

Looks very usefull, hope you will find time to release it!

26. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

how about you hook some of us up for free :)

27. Quietus2

Quietus2

*bump*

Whatever happened to this?

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It's currently being added in to a game I am doing, and at the moment its being augmented with a mesh slicing/clipping system with capped holes. Also all the animation controllers in Max have been added to the system as well as direct export to Unity of Physx physics objects, joints, colliders, rbody info etc. Hope to have a quick video of the slicing up soon.

29. Adamo

Adamo

SpookyCat!!! Your works are amazing!!

30. PolyMad

PolyMad

Awesome... will you release anything of this?

31. eugen33

eugen33

Hello SpookyCat, your implementation is impressive!

I would respectfully ask you to contact me on ugutza@yahoo.com. We are a non-gaming company and we are looking into some of the stuff you implemented here. Would be great if we can determine you to allow us to try your product (even if is not in a final state for now, we can still come to an agreement).

Best wishes,
    Eugen

32. cupsster

cupsster

hot sh*t! I'm assuming that this is c/c++ converted plugin...

33. runonthespot

runonthespot

*bump*

Would love to see this, free or paid.

34. JetSoap

JetSoap

Wow, I really think that you could make some Great water physics out of some of these modifiers, like melt etc.

35. cemC

cemC

i want to ask specific questions?

1- Do you convert the scripts from maya or max (C++,C or python) to unity3d(C#,javascript or Boo)? (Rewrite all scrits?)

2- Do you call the scripts from maya or max (C++,C or python) into unity3d(C#,javascript or Boo)?

3- if you say "No" 1 and 2 , which converter do you use for conver C# , javascript or Boo for Unity3D?

36. Amaz1ng

Amaz1ng

Hey what functions and classes of Unity make these mesh deformations possible?

37. SkipKickCrash

SkipKickCrash

This is looking amazing.

Keep it up! Would love to see this develop into a modular kit for the asset store.

38. U2

U2

Please oh please oh please add this to the unity asset store soon. This solves so many problems for me! =)

39. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

I'm guessing the Mesh class and lots of custom math.

40. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

This is insanely cool!!

I always loved the modifier stack in 3Ds Max, and always missed it in all other 3D software that didn't have them...

But THIS!!!

This goes far beyond what I expected... this enables runtime modifying... which means giving the player the ability to use them!!
    Dude, if you put this in the Asset Store, you will see huge sales!! I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and I'm sure so many others would too!

Excellent work! And I think I speak for everyone when I say, PLEASE put this in the Asset Store!

Cheers

41. U2

U2

I have not watched the videos completely but could you add magnet modifiers? ie use a box mesh to deform parts of a mesh within it's bounds. This could be very useful for setting up custom character creation tools. i.e. make chest bigger/smaller, certain muscles bigger/smaller, etc..

42. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

You can do that with a couple of predefined FFDs I think...
    IDK how exactly one handles the modifiers through code, but if there's some form of 'alpha' value to it, it would be as simple as regulating them with sliders :)

Cheers

43. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

I want THIS! This looks awesome, and so many uses for it!

44. Shardz

Shardz

I can think of at least 8 instant uses for this within my current game's environment...and that is just at a glance of the videos. For the sake of all things pure, good, sparkling and tasty...please bring this amazing package to the community! From flags to lava pools to dancing Pop Tarts...sign me up!

45. techmage

techmage

Am curious to know, is this written in C#/Unityscript, or is it a .dll plugin? I wouldn't have thought a c#/unityscript ran fast enough to do this...

I would totally buy this if it were affordable, I can think of so many uses if this is made easily extensible.

One question though, have you dealt anything with deforming of collision meshes? Or any way to get triangle perfect collision on a mesh being deformed?

46. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

From what I've gathered, the Mesh class is quite performant, and only slows down when you ask for realtime collision mesh modifications (that's one recalculation per update, pretty insane).

47. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I will be releasing this on the asset store over the weekend, just waiting for my artist to do some nice pics to explain the various modifiers and do the logos and a test mesh. It wont come with the path deformer to start with as that needs a spline class and I am figuring out whether to jazz my system up or use something else, but have added Displacement from a texture map modifier, plus the user will be able to use the framework to come up with their own custom modifiers in a simple way.

Chris

48. kenshin

kenshin

Very interesting!

Is your framework written in c#?

49. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It is indeed.

50. Aron

Aron

This looks awesome, can't wait to see it on the store!