Search Unity

Blender 2.5 support

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Paulius-Liekis, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

There are two ways to import models from Blender into Unity:

1) Export manually from Blender and then import that FBX file in Unity. That should work just fine with Blender 2.5, or even better than Blender 2.49, because I believe that they fixed some problems/bugs.

2) Drop Blend file directly into Unity and expect Unity to do the conversion. This doesn't work, because Blender 2.5 is in still in beta phase and python scripts do not work properly in default Blender installation. As soon as issues are fixed on Blender side we will make sure that integration with Unity works.

I'll update this thread once I have more news.

If you want to ask something you can do it here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/61889-Blender-2.54-soon

2. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

Forgot to update this... Unity 3.2 has direct import from Blender 2.56.

Some people have problem with that, but problem is not on Unity side - there are problems with Blender installation, it doesn't install its Python scripts correctly in some cases. My recommendation is to use default installation options (although even that doesn't work for some people).

3. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

Unity 3.4 is not compatible with latest Blender (2.58). It works with Blender 2.49 or 2.56.

Unity 3.5 will be compatible with Blender 2.49, 2.58 and 2.59. If anyone want to jump ahead you can take the attached conversion script. You have to find Unity-BlenderToFBX.py in Unity folder and replace it with the one in the attached zip file. If you have any problems with it you can send me a PM or start a new thread.

Edit: updated the script once again with the one which compiles with Blender 2.49 as well.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.