Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio 2010 issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zega, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Zega

Zega

Does Unity 3.0 fully support Visual Studio 2010 as a script editor? I selected Visual Studio 2010 as my script editor of choice under preferences but Unity doesn't open up Visual Studio when I double-click a script file. The script file opens up in UniSCiTe, the default editor, and I get the error "Couldn't call method SyncVisualStudioProject because the class SyncVS couldn't be found.". I tried googling this issue but the posts I found were from the Unity 3.0 beta and I don't know if anything has changed in the meantime.

2. bmod

bmod

Are you using VS 2010 Express? A box in Unity's preferences states that Visual Studio Express doesn't allow itself to be controlled from another application. (But professional edition should work).

3. Mann1ng

Mann1ng

Hi,

I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, and am getting the same error with Unity 3 when attempting to edit script : "Couldn't call method SyncVisualStudioProject because the class SyncVS couldn't be found."

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated! :)

4. Mann1ng

Mann1ng

I've actually just figured out a work around:

- Open the VS 2010 project outside of Unity 3 (i.e. using VS2010 with Unity not running)
    - VS2010 may then ask you to convert it from an earlier version (I suspect this includes MonoDevelop if you last used this to edit a script)
    - Save and exit VS2010

The VS2010 editor should then correctly link from within Unity 3.

5. Sappho

Sappho

Same problem here with VS 2010 Ultimate. The workaround works but its annoying that unity can't get it right :/

The error thrown in console looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Couldn't call method SyncVisualStudioProject because the class SyncVS couldn't be found.
    2. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

6. carlilelance

carlilelance

I'm having the same problem with Visual Studio Ultimate. I've notice that it will eventually open in Visual Studio if you just keep trying to open up script files in Unity (double click on them). I wonder if Visual Studio is taking too long to open the files so Unity automatically opens them in its own editor. I know that this happens if Visual Studio can't open for some reason (trial version expiration).

7. acmshar

acmshar

Yep, this worked for me. Thank you.

It would be great if this weren't necessary, though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  8. appels

appels

mine opens fine but only my scripts folder shows up in VS, anyone else have the same problem ?