Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Use hardware(H/W) MENU KEY

Discussion in 'Android' started by darkmages, Sep 29, 2010.

1. darkmages

darkmages

How to use the basic hardware keys on the phone.(home key, menu key, back key, find key)

To run the application after the other event, I want to know

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    senseiGoodie likes this.
  2. beezir

beezir

Back key is KeyCode.Escape, menu key is KeyCode.Menu. Not sure about the others.

3. darkmages

darkmages

Thank you.
    Is working properly.

4. Teuton

Teuton

Input.GetKey() can use
    Event.keyCode can`t use

run@Emulator

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. akasurreal

akasurreal

I have the below in my update() loop to detect hardware buttons and exit my app, but I can't seem to figure out the Home button on the Nexus One. Menu and Escape work great, but KeyCode.Home doesn't work. When I press Home, I end up on my Home Screen in Android, but my app is still running.

Code (csharp):
    1.         //if running on Android, check for Menu/Home and exit
    2.         if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.Android)
    3.         {
    4.             if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Home) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Escape) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Menu))
    5.             {
    6.                 Application.Quit();
    7.                 return;
    8.             }
    9.         }
    Anyone know what the Home button KeyCode is or a better way to close the app when Home is pushed?

6. akasurreal

akasurreal

After doing some digging in Android forums, it appears intercepting the Home button is not possible. So how do we close our app when someone hits home? I assume override one of the following:

OnDisable
    OnApplicationFocus
    OnApplicationPause

Can anyone tell me which is best practice? Thanks!

senseiGoodie likes this.
  7. akasurreal

akasurreal

Would appreciate some help on this? or should I just not close our app when someone presses home?

8. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

You shouldn't close your app, when the home button gets hit, you should just pause the game, so the player can get back to the game by holding the home button. Android has real multitasking and I use it all the time, I hate it when a game closes when I accidentally press the home button (which happens all too often, when I play with the Trackball). I also often multitask with the home button to get to my music while playing a muted game or to read a new e-mail.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  9. akasurreal

akasurreal

I see ok. I just read some complaints from people on Android market about apps not closing and they didn't realize they were running. I agree that multi-tasking is great, but wonder how well the average user understands this.

10. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

The problem with apps not closing happens, when there is no dedicated exit button or the game doesn't close by pressing the return key in the main menu.

The best way to close the app fast is when the return key gets pressed two times, where you give a rumble after the first press.

11. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

Hi.

Can someone post which button name is used for pressing down the trackball? Also it sure be nice to have an Android User Input section somewhere. Android Prefabs yada yada, what asset packages should you use yada yada...

Thanks.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

I think that stuff ends on joystick 1 and its handling.

13. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

Yeah I thought that but it wouldin't work. Just got it by trial and error.

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.JoystickButton0)) ....

14. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

I realize this is an old post but I thought I would mention a lot of games have a pop up that says "would you like to quit" when you hit the home button.

I am just diving into Droid but, the first thing I did before even making a build was download a bunch of the more popular games in the hopes of finding a few established standards.

:)

15. DaveA

DaveA

I'm not getting ANY keys, as in Input.anykey, from the system buttons on any of the 3 devices I have. Did this change with 3.3? Anyone have this working can post a whole Update function?

16. kalos

kalos

function Update ()
    {
    //Input.GetKeyDown"escape" is for PC, Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Menu is for Android
    if (Input.GetKeyDown("escape") || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Menu))
    {
    //do whatever you want.
    }
    }

17. DaveA

DaveA

I tried that. I get nothing. I put in a Debug.Log as well as trying to show my menu, but nothing at all. It also does not respond to Input.anyKey.

EDIT: (smacking own head): Another script was disabling my menu script. I stopped that, now it works ok.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  18. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

I don't think android was designed to have applications intercept home key.

19. Rustam-Ganeyev

Rustam-Ganeyev

Checking key as kalos said works on pressing button. If you press and don't release, it keeps being pressed -> function that needs to be runned just once, runned many times . How to implement doing some action on releasing button?

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

The scripting reference describes Input.GetKey/GetKeyDown/GetKeyUp. I use Input.GetKeyDown. I expect Input.GetKeyUp should work, also.

21. Rustam-Ganeyev

Rustam-Ganeyev

yeah, it's working as it should. Thanks!

22. ina

ina

How do you use the HW back and search key?

23. ina

ina

Google is officially supporting the actionbar menu key, and deprecating the hardware menu key. It would be nice if Input.GetMenu gracefully scales to that for Unity Android 3.x+ builds

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399437,00.asp and other articles

24. safia1230

safia1230

I'm currently trying to add a click listener to the menu hardware button. Currently I'm just putting my onclick logic into the onCreatePanelMenu-method and return false. But that just feels wrong.

Is there a more clean way?

The code currently looks like that:

@Override
    public boolean onCreatePanelMenu(int featureId, Menu menu) {
    Toast.makeText(this, "HALLO!", Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
    return false;
    }

25. Choong How

Choong How

Does anyone happen to test out the back button on HTC Sensation? I've tried Input.GetKey, Input.GetKeyUp and Input.GetKeyDown with the escape key but none seem to work. Is there a problem with Unity reading keypress from Sensation or are there some settings which needs to be done before building the apk which I'm unaware of? Thanks.

Problem fixed.
    Placed code in FixedUpdate and problem is solved.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  26. waldroid

waldroid

i want to create android project with eclipse.. in the main menu of the project, there is a button to call the AR ..
    when pressing the back button can be moved to the main menu? if can, can you please help me?

thank u :)

27. goldbug

goldbug

Does anyone know how to use the trackball?

I would expect it to come in one of the joysticks, but we get no messages at all from the trackball.

28. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'd suggest against this, since most new phones dont even have a trackball .

29. goldbug

goldbug

I don't want to rely on it, just like I wouldn't rely on xperia play touchpad. However for the phones that do have it, I would like to support it as an additional input method.

30. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

Just as a side note for anyone that needs it, I found the keycodes to the hardware camera focus/shutter button(s).
    Focus(if the device has it): KeyCode.F6
    Shutter: KeyCode.F5

I've only tested this on my Evo 4G LTE, so I don't know if it works for any other phones.

31. sajidanouman

sajidanouman

Nice Thanks Alot For Sharing

32. trs9556

trs9556

I have been trying to figure out how to detect when the home button is pressed for a while and although it isn't "specifically for the home button" it works.

void OnApplicationFocus(bool pauseStatus) {
    if(pauseStatus) { //code to close app or w\e you want to do }
    }

When you press the home button, the application loses focus so OnApplicationFocus is called and passes true through it's parameters.

I have no idea what else might make OnApplicationFocus equal true, probably any time to user puts your app in the background, aka opening a text/email. So only use if you can.

I wanted to know the home button thing because I wanted to save data. So using this method works just as good if not better.

33. davididev

davididev

I find on older phones if I define an axis for escape and menu, I can still use those buttons.
    Instead of Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Menu)
    I use Input.GetAxis("MenuAxis");

34. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Any solution exist for detecting device Menu or Home button press?
    I can't use OnApplicationPause method for quit application because my game contains In App Purchase functionality and it was calling multiple times OnApplicationPause method.

35. cdr9042

cdr9042

Have you found the solution yet? I can't use OnApplicationPause either. I need to detect Home button press