Search Unity

Statistics Window FPS

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by auzette, Sep 28, 2010.

1. auzette

auzette

Hey there. I'm trying to figure out the difference in frames between the Statistics window in the Unity Editor and the frame rate numbers that I'm seeing using a prominent frame rate script from the Wiki (http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=FramesPerSecond).

The frame rate counter in the statistics menu can often times be between 200-300FPS, while the script running computes the frame rate around 45-50 fps, which is more what I would expect.

Is there something unique about the way the statistics menu of the editor calculates the FPS?

Thanks.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The stats only measures the graphics, not the whole game.

--Eric

3. auzette

auzette

Nod. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

likely your script is also just wrong because if you used update, it can't differ from the debug banner as frame is frame and frame in unity means a call to the update function.
    small differences can happen due to potentially different handling on how and where to smooth out spikes in the fps. but differences like the one you mention are pretty surely caused by errorous "FPS code"

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Er, no. The stats fps in the Unity editor measures graphics drawing speed only (in milliseconds, also unfortunately gives the results in framerate, thus leading to many topics like this one). The fps script on the wiki (which is what 99% of people use) is accurate enough and measures the actual framerate of the game.

--Eric