Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bootcamp Demo - figuring out how it works.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ctsteve123, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ctsteve123

ctsteve123

First I would like to say nice job with the Bootcamp demo and Unity 3.

I am getting back into using Unity after taking a long break and have been looking at the Bootcamp demo in the latest release. I have been trying to figure how how parts of it work and have some questions.

The terrain is broken up into 9 meshes for the far terrain. These use a "mesh terrain 4 splats" shader, for all these meshes. It appears that the SplatMap in the shader places the materials in the layer0, Layer1 and Layer2. The layers have the separate RGB data represented in the spat map. There is then a BaseMap( not sure what it does).

-Confused about how to go about making a terrain like this yourself - the splat maps, baseMap ect. Was this info extracted from the Terrain Engine or external Application such as Vue.
    -All the 9 meshes used the same shader items.
    - Is it better to do it this way then, to use the Unity Terrain engine for both the near and far terrains as one large terrain?

It is good to see that you can officially use terrain data splat maps I believe now, but am not sure how to use them to add textures and maybe even trees and roads. In the terrain scripting there also appears to be a lot of new functionality, such as TerrainData where the docs
    say "The TerrainData class stores heightmaps, detail mesh positions, tree instances, and terrain texture alpha maps." Hopefully there will be some examples of how to use this, with the final 3.0 release and more detailed documentation.

Many more questions , but this is a good start. I know that 3.0 final has not been released yet , so am jumping the gun in asking these questions….but was curious.

2. gsokol

gsokol

I kinda want to bump this..

I've been trying to find out how to make geometry terrain using splat maps like you guys did with the bootcamp demo...can you shed any light on how to do this?