Search Unity

System Requirements for Unity Web Player

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by spadin, Aug 21, 2007.

1. spadin

spadin

HI,

I'm wondering if anyone knows at least the very minimum system requirements for the Unity Web Player. I noticed the requirements in the homepage, but I've tested Unity in several computers that meet these requirements and the web player either BSODs on Windows XP or starts making the screen flicker uncontrollably on PPC OS X 10.4.10. Of course, it also works great on other computers that I've tried.

I want to make sure that I don't send users to play the game and crash their computers.

Thanks,
    Sandro

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The crashes on Windows machines in 99% of the cases are weird bugs in the graphics drivers. This was the main reason why for Unity 2.0 we're implementing a Direct3D based rendering system instead of OpenGL one (D3D drivers generally are much more stable).

In Unity 1.x we tried to work around as much driver bugs as we could, but of course we did not catch all of them. If you have a game that reproducibly crashes on some Windows machine, it would be great if you'd run C:\Program Files\OverTheEdge\Unity\WebPlayer\UnityBugReporter.exe and file a bug, with a link to the web player that crashes. This will also send hardware information (graphics card, driver version etc.)

3. spadin

spadin

Are 64MB of VRAM and 768MB of RAM too low for the 1.33 GHz PPC Mac? I downloaded a tool that logs VRAM usage and the web player that I created certainly wasn't using too much VRAM. The file size of the game is just 1.4MB.

I really would just like some minimum requirements that I can post before anyone decides to play the game. The target audience would be technically inclined so they would understand, and probably want to know these minimum requirements.

Thanks for the quick response. Unity 2.0 sounds like it's going to be great! And, it should be out pretty soon from what I've read!

Thanks,
    Sandro

4. prowland

prowland

I've played the FPS, Car and Nature demo on a very under spec Windows laptop with very good frame rates indeed.

Windows XP
    786Mhz
    128MB Ram
    No graphic card (to speak of)

5. spadin

spadin

Thanks prowland, but now this makes things more complicated :( Basically, I'm deducing that there are no concrete minimum requirements. So rather, I'd would like to know if anyone has recommended requirements? The game will be a first person shooter, web player at around 640x480 or smaller.

Say for example:
    Windows 2000/XP/Vista
    Radeon 7000 or similar
    256 MB of RAM

Any Intel Mac or 1.5 GHz PowerPC Mac and above, etc..

Thanks,
    Sandro

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The thing is, it depends so much on your game. It's really not possible to estimate system requirements until you've got something done. A first person shooter web player could run great on a 500MHz G3, or badly on a 3GHz Xeon, depending on what you're doing. The screen resolution, for example, doesn't matter unless you're making heavy use of pixel shaders.

--Eric

7. drJones

drJones

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There are OS requirements listed on the Web Player download page:

* On Mac OS X, the Unity Web Player requires Mac OS X 10.2.8 or newer.
    * On Windows, the Unity Web Player requires Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

As far as minimum specs for hardware go those are going to vary quite wildly with your game content but you can see some references to minimum specs on the Unity trial download page (although some of these are for authoring in particular, some are player-specific):

* Mac OS X "Panther" 10.3.9 or later
    * Radeon or GeForce graphics card with 32 MB of RAM
    * Will run fluently on any Intel Mac
    * On PPC based Macs, we recommend a 500MHz G3 processor or better
    * (games will run on Windows 2000/XP and Mac OS X "Jaguar" 10.2, and a Rage 128 graphics card or better depending on complexity)

Please note that we do understand that this sort of information needs to be a *lot* easier to find and be a bit better organized on our site so please stay tuned for those sorts of changes.

9. Untold

Untold

Well, on an iMac G4 700 MHz PPC while running 10.4.8 the installer said that I need 10.5. So after spending AGES repartitioning and reinstalling 10.5.8 I tried to install Unity player only to be told that "Unity Player cannot be installed on this computer. Let me tell you my son was not impressed....

So, how do I get it installed? This computer exceeds the above system requirements!

10. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

You quoted requirements from 2007. In 2014 you need an Intel Mac with 10.5 or later.