Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

BeGone Released! - Multi-player Shooter

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ProtonOne, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Runekn

Runekn

Yeah! gonna try it right now!

3. coin-god

coin-god

Awesome!! Im gonna play it now!

4. hybrent

hybrent

Very fun. I love this style of game.

Critique:

I hate the camera! It's very hard to use correctly IMO.

I can't really enjoy the game as it should be because of the camera, it's the major killer here.

Personally, I'd prefer a lock-strafe with the camera directly behind your character. (At the very least make it lock-strafe, because you can fire forward while facing side ways or backward which is annoying when looking at someone turned around and they start shooting you.)

5. lues de fabulam

lues de fabulam

Beautiful execution but I agree that camera could be improved.

Do you plan objective modes in future other than a team deathmatch? The idea of getting into a competitive game with team-play from anywhere at any time is very captivating but right now, this gets old in minutes.

Also, I guess it was a little more alluring when the first screenshots indicated that this would be first-person.

6. allen

allen

Camera wasn't too bad, I got used to it rather quickly.

But the game needs more guns and more maps. Currently it's only fun for a few minutes

Game is very pretty, and the controls were fine. Other than the camera annoyances (that I got over quickly) this was a relatively bug free and very smooth game.

7. liverolA

liverolA

nice,
    just wonder how to sync movment and bullets in fps game using photon...!! how do deal with lag?do you implement moving prediction?

8. Discord

Discord

Pretty cool! The only thing I have to say is that the locomotion system makes the guy move a bit weird.

9. Artimese

Artimese

I agree, the camera shakes ALOT aswell and it laggs alot :S And my machine isnt half bad either.

10. •BTM

•BTM

I thought it was a great game :)
    I actually liked the camera system, though admit it could be a bit smoother. The graphics are great, same with the gameplay, and overall it's really fun!

11. Blacklight

Blacklight

Nice work here. The only problem I found was that you couldn't peak around corners to your left because of camera placement. This was really annoying when I was the only one on the team and they were flanking me.

12. lancerfour

lancerfour

Not connecting :(

13. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

I've been seeing feedback like this quite a bit. I think I just got used to the 3rd person view. Investigating...

Step 1 is to make a stable base on which to build upon. I think it's getting pretty close (other than the camera issue).
    The immediate plans are to expand on the team deathmatch, but there is something else more ambitious in mind.

Maybe the arena hadn't finished downloading yet. You get a loading spinner while the arena is still downloading. The 'Join' buttons appear after the progress bar finishes loading.

14. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

The only issue I have is no auto reload, as well as the recoil is never set back at all. It should slowly go back to where it was, as well have a limit to how much it can recoil.

Besides that, it's quite fun... though, XD I didn't die very often :p

It'd be kind of spiffy if you made a full out login system that kept your stats though.

15. soad667

soad667

Wow, an amazing game you got there. Won't comment on the good things, they're too many. :p

Had no problems with the camera, but one thing that felt wrong to me was the recoil. I think it's a bit too much. Btw, any chance to add a crouch or even prone stance? Not sure about prone, with all this vegetation it would be evil, but crouching wouldn't be bad.

Anyway, keep up the great work! ;)

16. Tomme

Tomme

Fantastic work. Currently learning Photon slowly, and seeing this just makes me want to learn more, If you have anything helpful to say about Photon perceptually lobbies, i would be very grateful.

17. ikke998

ikke998

I like the game a lot, I played a few rounds and it is very fun to play, and the grafics are nice too!
    the only problem I have is that I have an azerty keyboard and that I have to switch to qwerty with my keyboard and I can't chat in qwerty mode.
    other then that it is a very good and pro game!

18. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

nicely done! I enjoyed playing it, must have played around 10 rounds :)

I feel like playing it again!

19. lancerfour

lancerfour

Looks like my peerblock was stopping the connection, my bad. Great game though, amazing work. I love the style of gameplay you're going for.

Suggestions/problems:
    - Camera. It works most of the time, but I end up running in circles when I get too close to another person trying to melee them. It gets disorienting pretty quick.
    - Zoom in as a toggle is a little anti-intuitive to me. Maybe a option to hold RMB instead?
    - Recoil, I actually love that it's difficult and really makes you aim. But a crouch would be nice (or maybe less recoil while you zoom in?).
    - It crashes whenever I exit fullscreen mode. Could be unity though, happens with my game sometimes too.

Just some ideas. Btw, what are you using for networking?

20. •BTM

•BTM

I agree that an option to change the functionality of it wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as the user is given the choice.

21. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

hey great game. However if I hit ESC in fullscreen the game crashes... Is that just me?

22. azeitler

azeitler

cool game, but for this good of graphics and overall gameplay, there are a LOT of little bugs, inconsistencies and design flaws. it kinda looks like you stopped at the 8th yard and just released it.

here's what I don't like:

- the camera is just aweful, not smooth but jerky
    - the UI is not very well thought out and not very well designed, spacing is inconsistent
    - the recoil is just too much
    - the logo is just one giant eye sore not matching style of the game and the rest of the UI at all
    - the main menu background scene is of too poor graphics quality. the sky is blurry and the image has no contrast. usually main menus are impressive and of better quality than ingame graphics, not the other way round

on the other hand, you got most of the game mechanics and gameplay right and I just love the fact that you can just logon and play instantly.

the game's a great start, and I would give you an A if you had shown this of as an early beta-version, but having released the game in this state it's barely a C.

23. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

This is very nice! great job!

I have a question for you if you could answer, that would be great! :p. For your lobby type set up (At the title screen). Are you using a simple unity master server for the networking?

24. 3dDude

3dDude

very nice :D i played all morning(no life) and i had a great time!

but i had to go get some work done and when i tried to play again it said connection problem !?! and it has not worked sense then... :(
    help maybe?

25. sciguy77

sciguy77

Truly amazing work, this is one of the best Unity pieces I have seen to date. Congrats!

Clearly you have a high-level grasp of Photon. If you made an ebook (even a small one) sharing code and teaching, I'd pay good money for it!

26. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Crouch is a good idea, the models I have don't have a crouch animation, so it will need to be on the back burner for now.

I had to disable fullscreen on IE8 and Chrome, they both crash when exiting full screen, but Firefox on windows has been working fine for me. I will need to put together a simple project to demonstrate the issue and submit a bug to Unity, just need to find the time.

I actually used a small subset of the in arena graphics to create the main menu. The goal was to have as small a load time as possible, but still create something interesting in the background. As a bonus everything except the tree textures are things I needed to load for the arena anyway.

For this game I am only using Exit Games Photon network library (http://photon.exitgames.com). The previous racing game used the Unity master server.

I've seen this happen on Mac a few times. Since the browser doesn't actually close it occasionally doesn't release a socket or something. The easiest way to fix it is to really close the browser Command+Q

Photon still holds mysteries to me, and over the past few months its been changing quite a bit (good cleanup changes). I've found the easiest way to learn was to use their Unity example program. Getting a grasp of the client side is much easier than the server side. But their forums are helpful and the devs are very responsive.

27. chaos1986

chaos1986

yeh i thought it was one of those 'it says it's multiplayer but it's really just a techdemo' games, but was quite surprised when i started wandering around and the next moment theres a bullet lodged in my head lol

28. adriaanza

adriaanza

Yeah nice indeed. I'm playing from South Africa and as you can imagine the geographic location is not good with latency to North American servers. But I can get a good 350 - 400 ping and I experience no lag at all. I noticed someone in here talk about being corrected which means you run an Authoritative server of course, but I didn't experience any of that.

So I'm assuming all the "servers" are just Photon clients like all the players, with the only difference that it has an authoritative state over the game, i.e. receiving inputs from the players and updating everyone else.

I'm not sure how deep you'll go into how you did it and I respect that but I've been pondering over whether to use Events or Operations to send button commands. Events of course sends the button commands to EVERYONE connected to the game, but operations sends it to the Photon server. But I'm guessing you're probably using a custom event or operation.

As for the browser crashing when exiting full screen, that happens in Firefox on Windows for me as well - though it has happened with a lot of things since the last web player release. Like even simple things I would do would just crash the moment I exit full screen. Hopefully they've looked into this with Unity 3.

29. angel_m

angel_m

sciguy77 wrote:
    Clearly you have a high-level grasp of Photon. If you made an ebook (even a small one) sharing code and teaching, I'd pay good money for it!

me too... :)

30. Londy

Londy

Amazing Game!

31. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Just published an update for BeGone (great thing about using a webplayer is it's easy to do updates :) )

BeGone Update 1.0.2
    Added first person view, increased strafe backward movement speed, reduced recoil when in accuracy mode, jumping is more reliable, melee cooldown increased

Try out the changes at:
    www.nplay.com/BeGone

32. coin-god

coin-god

Its better in FP view. But I still dont like the recoil. It should go back to its palce, because doing it manually is a pain.

33. 3dDude

3dDude

first how do you change from first person to third person?

and for your next update you should make aim mode be look down sights(that would be much more fun)

34. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

35. jediknight846

jediknight846

This is a REALLY fun game!! Awesome!!

36. The_Jx4

The_Jx4

Any chance of a Facebook version and gamepad support?

37. jediknight846

jediknight846

Will you make more maps in the near future, this one is great, but it gets old after playing it for 10 hours straight (I have no life).
    A crouch is needed.
    will you ever add more weapons (like more guns, grenades, rocket launchers)?

3dDude, you change to 3rd person mode in the "Options" tab.

38. PolyMad

PolyMad

I really love this game, it needs some polishing but definitely it's really professional and really not far from perfection.
    Remember that CounterStrike was MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH worse than this when it came out. The level raised up a lot since then.
    But this doesn't mean that the game itself is not fun. I love to hide, rush to the next hide and ambush the enemy.
    I had difficulty to stop playing even if in the server we were only 3 or 4... I can't imagine how fun must it be when there are 8 or even more people.
    Add some maps, online leaderboards, and polish it and you may earn good money from it IMHO.

Oh and by the way, the netcode look damn solid, I shoot and I hit, like in NO OTHER GAME, this is incredible for me.
    If this is Unity netcode well, that's simply great.

What I would change though: there is some "vibration" in the light intensity, that's a bit weird and some times disturbing.
    The SWAT are too dark, almost black so they look out of the environment, should be raised a bit in luminosity the textures.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  39. soad667

soad667

Great update! I admit that playing in fps feels more natural to me and after the update i played some games exclusively in fps, but how about adding a button to change the view while playing? Keep it up.................... ;)

40. 3dDude

3dDude

WOW congrats! I counted 64 players online tonight!

41. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I saw it get over 120 simultaneous players thanks to Kongregate. It was a mad rush last night to upgrade the Photon license to handle more than 100 people and upgrade the server browser to display more servers. Didn't expect such an influx of players.

42. J_P_

J_P_

Yeah I saw the number of plays skyrocket on Kongregate -- congrats!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  43. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Congrats on such a freaking AWESOME game! You guys rocked it, seriously!

44. bgivenb

bgivenb

45. eric_c

eric_c

Great game, killed my entire night! By the way, how did you made the character turn and move so smoothly, did you guys used the head look controller?

46. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

added the new weapons yet ? been waiting forever for the damn update ! x)

47. Sollthar

Sollthar

Sweet! I remember playing this a while ago and it's fun, though it feels that bit unpolished visually. But it's certainly fun!

48. ivanzu

ivanzu

Great game. What unity did you used?And i want to ask you how much did you payed server?

49. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I noticed BeGone was already #2 or #3 in the Kong competition. :D

This is a seriously beautiful, and good game, though. Best of luck!

50. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

@bgivenb: Thanks, but we haven't started looking into new levels yet. Focusing on weapons right now.

@CSHen042: Yep the headlook controller is being used. Although I think I put it on his spine to get a more realistic aim up and down motion.

@tuckdragon: I have the buy menu working locally with 3 weapons. Also have the economy system working (cash for kills, headshots, team wins, assisted kills, etc.). There is still a bug with the order that the player weapons are instantiated. Gotta sort out the Instantiate/Awake/Start/Instantiate Children/Destroy flow a bit. It all works fine, until I start really testing it...

@ivanzu: Still on Unity 2.6. Just haven't had the time to upgrade/test on 3.1 yet. A quick test showed that there were changes to audio sources and the networking that needed to be done. Possibly more little things like shaders... Servers are Amazon EC2, they can be pricey though at over $100 each plus overages for bandwidth. Still evaluating hosting options...

We appreciate the feedback guys! At some points there are over 200 people playing at the same time, it is pretty exciting/motivating to see.