Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Preloading/uploading textures to vram prior to first render

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by crushforth, Sep 10, 2010.

1. crushforth

crushforth

Hi,

I'm having framerate spikes objects first become visible. Looking at the profiler is looks like this is being caused because the file/resource hasn't actually been loaded yet.

I've seen numerous posts about solving this by rendering everything prior to it being needed. Before I start writing this I was wondering if anyone had any good implementations of this or suggestions on the best was to achieve this.

I'm thinking of looping through every MeshFilter and building a dynamic mesh in code that uses this material and rendering them all out for 1 frame and then destroying them. This would hopefully all happen behind my loading screen.

I think this should be fairly easy for GameObjects that are in the scene that have MeshFilters but I'm not sure about detecting prefabs that haven't yet been instantiated.

I've only been using unity for a few weeks so I'm still trying to figure stuff out.

Anyone willing to share their implementations?

2. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Is it happening to you just while playing it in the editor, or as a standalone / web player version too?

I've often seen spikes like that while in the editor, but seem fine once in a standalone.

3. crushforth

crushforth

It's mostly effecting the iPad and iPhone but the spikes are still there on the Mac but they're not as noticable.

I spent a few days trying to eliminate all the GC.Collect spikes and I found out that almost all of them were from Editor scripts and GUI functions in those scripts. Now they've been commented out I only get spikes from

Camera.Render
    -> Drawing
    -> Render.Prepare
    -> Loading.ReadObject
    -> Loading.LoadFileHeaders

Each time I make an object visible for the first time. If I can sort these out it'll be super smooth.

4. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

So anyone find a good preloading solution?

I guess the best you can do is just make the object visible for a frame to force a gpu load.

5. hurleybird

hurleybird

I'm bumping this as I'm having the exact same problem in Unity 5, looking for an elegant solution.

jones6 likes this.
  6. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

If any body has some solution for this problem then it helps me as well.
    Please give some suggestion for this problem.

jones6 likes this.
  7. duclaw

duclaw

I may be late but I'll add a solution. as the thread topic stated, you have to upload the textures to vram prior to first rendering by putting it in front of a camera before your game starts.

I solved my problem by taking all my game assets (every single one with textures) and placed them on a plane offscreen.
    then I added a camera to the scene to render the plane and all the assets. I set the camera depth higher than my main camera to save me extra coding work of activating and deactivating.

After that I wrote a simple script that ran a yield statement for 3 seconds if the scene was loaded, when the 3 seconds were up, the script will disable itself and the plane along with its contents (the assets). also the script will remove the loading screen that covered it from the players view.

your game will run smoothly after this (if you don't have other performance issues).

I hope this helps other people because this was a source of worry to me during development of my game