Search Unity

NOW AVAILABLE!!! RapidUnity Array Wizard

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Greg-Bassett, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

Just to let you know I am about to release another tool from my RapidUnity range!

This new tool is called Array Wizard, and it is a Unity Editor panel that allows you to quickly and easierly create arrays (copies) of objects in all sorts of formations within a scene.

Array Wizzard allows you to select between 5 different types of array, Linear, Area, Volume, Radial and Cascade.

Each of these different types of array, allow you to arrange GameObjects within your scenes, quickly and easierly, and in various formations.

Checkout my website for more information...
    http://www.alabsoft.com/arraywiz.shtml

2. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

3. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Wow, nice work, that looks really useful!

4. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

well not bad, but I doubt its commercial value...
    I think blender can do some of these stuff as it is. Also just a bit of python scripting can easily reproduce all you got

5. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks for your kind words oblivionfeet!

Hi Nikolay116,

Thanks for your comment too, the point of Array Wizard is to take away the need to use external programs, and to arrange scenes within Unity, look out for more of the same tools coming soon!

6. stefmen

stefmen

You can also do this in maya, and when you do it in maya you can instance them so you will only have 1 of those models in your drawcall. Does your tool does the same or will the engine render all the models on there own ?

7. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Good point stefmen!

I had not thought about highlighting this feature, yes my tool does create instances of the initial object, and the Unity renderer makes a single drawcall.

Also, I am not sure that when you import from Maya whether Unity would retain those single instances, I think it would import as separate models.

8. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

I dunno about Maya's fbx exporting, but with Lightwave and Max, they do become separate models when imported into Unity. Though with combinechildren added to them it isn't really an issue I guess, but it's worth knowing, thanks!

9. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

Just to let you know from now until the end of September, you can save 20% off all my RapidUnity tools!

:D

Go to http://eepurl.com/78kE for more information!

10. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Hey man this is pretty sweet. I don't have a use for it myself but I have bookmarked just in case... just one thing, why is it always RAPID?

11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, thanks for your comments!

The Rapid concept is to do with the increase in productivity my tools give you when working in Unity.

I am planning to create a whole suite of tools to help beginner and advanced users alike to get great results in Unity as quickly as possible!

Look out for ExtraPrimitives coming soon...

Or take a look at my other RapidUnity tools, at www.rapidunity.com.

12. adriaanza

adriaanza

Hey cool thanks, I can definitely see this being useful within Unity - most notably for prefabs. It's like for one example I did a lot of setting up within Unity for a destructible pillar, and this will definitely help me arrange instances within an array - something I wouldn't really be able to do in an external program.

13. gamesurgeon

gamesurgeon

Ahh!

I've been aching for something like this.

Thanks!

14. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Oh, thanks Greg :).

15. thellama

thellama

Cool tool/idea but can it auto snap each item to the ground plane and terrain?

A feature like that makes this a level building asset, but without it I don't see its full value from my production standpoint. Unity already has snap move and rotate.

I can see you put a lot of work into it, nice job. $20 is out of my range. I think a more market savvy price would be $10.

Just my 2cents however useless or useful.

16. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks for your feedback!

Hadn't thought about snapping to terrain, nice idea, and should not be a problem to add, simply be a checkbox on the last panel of the wizard interface entitled Snap to Terrain.

I will have a play about over the next few days, see if I can get this feature added quickly.

17. mikesgames

mikesgames

wil we recieve free updates if this is added??

Michael

18. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

19. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Just to update you guys, I have found a way to achieve positioning gameobjects on a ground plane or terrain automatically as they are created as part of an array of gameobjects.

Getting it working in Array Wizard at the moment, will release v1.1 soon.

20. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

It works!!! :D

I have added a checkbox to allow arrays to be automatically snapped to a surface, be that a plane or terrain. See below:

Here's the final panel of the wizard interface with the new Snap to surface checkbox.

This image shows a cube above a terrain.

And this image shows the result after creating a linear array of 5 GameObject's with the Snap to surface checked!

I hope to have this v1.1 update released shortly.

Don't forget you can purchase Array Wizard saving 20% before the end of September, and this update will be available for FREE to you once it's released.

Go to http://www.alabsoft.com/septoffer.shtml for more information!

21. mikesgames

mikesgames

cool update Greg!

22. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

With the recent release of Unity3, I just wanted to let you know that all my RapidUnity tools and fully compatible with this new version of Unity!

And to celebrate the launch of Unity3, and the compatibility with my RapidUnity tools, I am offering 20% off each of my tools for the next 5 days only! (Offer ends Sunday 10th October 2010)

Go to http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=a43667b88456c932f84bb8739&id=d0fac57b57&e for more information!

23. thellama

thellama

Wow awesome, I may just have to pick this up now. Would it be possible to create the ability to alter the snapping height. In other words offset the snap point so edges and such aren't sticking/above the ground as seen in your box demo screenshot.

Otherwise awesome response! You rock as a middleware developer.

24. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Like the suggestion/request for controlling the offset, yep I can add this, and will include in v1.1.

Please bare with me for a few days, I am very busy, but will get ArrayWizard update completed as soon as I can!

Thanks for your kind comments! :)

25. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

Just to let you know you can get RapidUnity ExtraPrimitives for 1/2 price!!!

Purchase RapidUnity Extra Primitives together with RapidUnity Array Wizard for only £17.99, saving £4.99. that's Extra Primitives for half price!

For more information visit the link below:
    http://eepurl.com/bsS8j

Or check out my YouTube showing you how to get the most from Extra Primitives and Array Wizard together!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THShalOtR74

26. thellama

thellama

My Goodness Sir! you have created the most awesome whiteboxing tools I've seen! I can't throw money fast enough!

27. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

Just to let you know I am putting finishing touches to v1.1, this update includes Snap to Surface and Random Noise, the later feature enabling users to add a bit of randomization to the object copies, great for adding that extra realism, as things in the real world aren't always exactly positioned!

Should be available later tonight, or tomorrow!

28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Me again!

Just to let you know I have completed the update to Array Wizard, and v1.1 is now available, all existing users will receive the upgrade completely FREE via email, as with all my RapidUnity products!

Here are a couple of shots of what the two new features are capable of producing.

First, a Linear array using the Snap to Surface feature!

Next, a Radial array using the Snap to Surface feature!

And finally, a Linear array, using both Snap to Surface and Add Random Noise!

Array Wizard is still available at the same price of £12.99 (approx $20/€15), or you can purchase it together with Extra Primitives for £17.99 (approx $28/€20), saving £4.99, that's almost 40% off the cost of Array Wizard!

Check out http://www.alabsoft.com/arraywiz.shtml for more information!

29. Ullukai

Ullukai

Awesome stuff !!! Thanks !!! Your saving me so much time and no problems with this stuff !! I can now make a bunch of objects that normally takes half an hour or even more to make !!!! I made 7 globes in a couple clicks instead of a bunch of hastles etc..!!! it even gets them in the right order and placed perfectly too !!!! Magnificient work !!! I would have posted a screenshot here, but it would almost look the same as what's already here, so I won't bother wasting my time with that ... time .. lol .. now I got more free time because I'm using this array wizard !?!?! Thanks again and I hope to see more programs like this later on if that is possible :)

30. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

31. Zu01

Zu01

Looks great. But I have just one kinda random question. How do you get these things to look like a part of the unity editor? Or does it just come that when you package it?

32. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

It comes as a Unity extension, and it is available via the Windows menu, Array Wizard.

Hope that helps!