Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing the 2010 Unity Awards!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by antenna-tree, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Dr.Pure

Dr.Pure

Thanks =)

2. yangmeng

yangmeng

Is this official? http://unity3d.com/awards/nominate says:
    I like your answer better though!

3. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, for anyone reading this, I will not flip the switch, if one existed, to turn off the submission process until the very end of October 1st (23:59 CET).

4. unseenthings

unseenthings

Okay, I'm a bit confused... mine is a web-based game (at least the current version - iOS is coming soon), but I sent the "live" (facebook) url in the contest page, so should I re-do my entry with a different/special build that doesn't change after October 1st? Or not update my game? Or what?

Please advise... thanks!

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you want us to judge a specific build then send us a separate web player link. If you're comfortable with us judging the Facebook link at whatever state is at when we judge it then leave it as is.

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Just a reminder that the submission deadline is nearly upon us... less than 8 hours to go ;)

7. FlaSh-G

FlaSh-G

I'm going to put myself in the line of cunfused people.

I submitted our game, it's built with the 2.6.1 version.
    I like Unity 3, but it messed up the whole game when I tried to upgrade it with 3 (besides some script malfunctions, the Moving Gizmo didn't even work...!)
    These issues forced me to reinstall 2.6.1 and build the game with that version.

The game does not work in the new webplayer, but the deadline has been moved so people can build with Unity 3...

I'd really appreciate to be assured that the game has the same chances to compete, even when built in 2.6.1.

Thanks!

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Web players built with 2.6.1 should still default to the old 2.6.1 web player so you'll be just fine.

9. FlaSh-G

FlaSh-G

Oh. Strange.

You're right (surprise :p ), I wonder why I recieved some feedback that it wouldn't work... oO

Thanks, I'm leaving the confused people line now...

10. KarelA

KarelA

I hope that there will be a special thread where all the entries are shown.

11. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yep, I'm going to make a page with all the entries. There's quite a few but I hope to have it up by the end of next week.

12. FrieChamp

FrieChamp

Hey there, I've got a question in regards to changes to the html file the webplayer/game is embedded in AFTER the submission. The changes include instructions for controls and others that are of cosmetic nature (changing the background of the page and such). These are not changes to the actual submission (the game), regardless I would like to ask if that is an okay thing to do. I certainly don't want our submission to be disqualified over this! :) If you could clarify this, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

13. JackRives

JackRives

Is there going to be any problem if we haven't built a standalone version for Mac? As far as I know, there were no written rules about standalone applications (except the fact that they're rarely accepted - which turned out to be a confusing statement in itself).

Also, our game is quite big, featuring literally two games in one. I really do hope we don't get disqualified over these things. Also, there was an error in submission (the website is www.c3i.softbyte.ro, not www.softbyte.ro) and if someone can correct this we'd appreciate very much.

Good luck, everybody! :)

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

--Eric

15. ericksson

ericksson

Unity Technologies

For some reason, some games submitted by DADIU (including Sophie's DreamLeap - the one I worked on) for the Awards have iOS as the primary platform in the List of games submitted so far (the Google Spreadsheet). All DADIU games should have Web as the primary platform. All of them are playable in the browser from the already provided links. I think none of them will actually work on the iPhone. I don't know if it's really important for the competition, but I think that should be corrected.

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I've stated a few times in here now that if you're going to submit a standalone they need to be for both Mac and Windows. Why? Because Unity started out as a Mac app and a lot of us here still use Macs. If I can't play your game because it's only available as an .exe what score do you think I'm going to give it? :)

Don't worry, no judge is going to try and install your web player on their iPhone... I think common sense will prevail :p

17. Ehren

Ehren

Hi aNTeNNa trEE,

I was confused by the instructions and originally submitted a link to a .unity3d file instead of the URL where the game can be played.

I sent you a PM about this last week and just wanted to make sure it got through. The Google Docs spreadsheet is still showing the old link.

Thanks,
    Ehren

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hey Ehren, I didn't receive the PM (might have been lost in the new forum shuffle) so please send it again.

19. Whimsical

Whimsical

Hi folks!

I don't wanna be a nitpicker or buzzkill, but judging from the Google spreadsheet, there are still entries coming in. I'm wondering if they are considered for the Awards as well or if they are disqualified as they should because of being entered to late. I hope that fairness towards us guys who had to hurry to get things finished in time will prevail. ;)

20. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

All entries that are coming in right now are date stamped and nothing past October 1st will be accepted. The reason the nomination page is still open is because the guy that was running the Unity Awards no longer works at UT and I'm still locked out of the Google Doc ;)

Anyway, the best games will prevail. Don't worry about nitpicky little rules. I'm going through the entries right now getting them ready for the web site and so far I've only had 2 that were disqualified because of lack of info and no link to a player. And to be honest these games weren't going to win anyway ;)

21. Ehren

Ehren

Sent.

22. JackRives

JackRives

With all due respect, aNTeNNa trEE, but I did not see any requirement on the submission page that would state the game needs to be dual-platform.

As far as I know, these are the rules:

It would've been only fair to all of us if UT would've included this somewhere around there, and not as a brief mention on a forum thread. Just my two cents.

23. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, I understand that, but it also says in the rules:

The reasoning behind this, AFAIK, was to make it easier for judges to play the games as web players, but also to avoid this PC/Mac problem since web players can be played on both platforms. I loosened that rule since it seemed a little arbitrary, but maybe that was a mistake since it's causing further confusion. I took over the Unity Awards only a couple weeks ago so I did not come up with thew original rules.

Anyway, if you absolutely can't provide a Mac build then we'll have people on Windows judge the game... it won't be automatically disqualified. However, I don't see why providing a Mac build would be too difficult.

24. pordox

pordox

In my case because of the shaders that don't run on MacOS :-|

25. JackRives

JackRives

[irony] Sure, just let me cough up $3,000 for a Mac. [/irony]

26. KarelA

KarelA

Rives you should be able to do a Mac build in Unity editor that runs on windows. Just choose the Mac OS from the target platform options.

27. Ehren

Ehren

I just saw the nominee listing (http://unity3d.com/awards/nominees). Very cool!

I'm not sure if my second PM made it through, but could you change the Langman link to point directly to http://vonlehecreative.com/langman.html ?

The only other thing in my PM was a video trailer link. Here it is in case you guys are using these internally.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaAnuWd6WP4

Thanks!
    Ehren

28. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hey Ehren, I had it linked to your blog post about langman, but I can change it to a direct link to the page with the player.

29. hector78

hector78

Hi aNTeNNa trEE,

There's a problem with some of my submissions. I have sent you a PM, please check it.
    Thanks,

30. jackshiels

jackshiels

We also have a problem. Unfortunately I have no idea if my PM's are reaching you or higgy because they don't appear in my sent folder. We sent a new build a while ago - here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6a2q8eff40a6z0s

Thanks

Jack

Knife Media

31. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, the submissions are fine... if we have a problem with one we will contact you about it.

32. Ehren

Ehren

Yes, please do. Thanks!

33. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Alright, all link reports etc that I received today have been updated and will go live within the next day or so.

34. egor

egor

Hello,

what are 3 most important things to win a Rising Star? And what could exclude us?

35. Ehren

Ehren

aNTeNNa trEE: I've been holding off posting the Unity 3 version of my game due to the contest. When can we safely update our entries without disqualifying ourselves?

36. sobral

sobral

What time will the winners be announced? (GMT)

37. jackshiels

jackshiels

The conference meeting starts at 10pm GMT AFAIK... that means the winners should be out by midnight or sometime early tomorrow. Last time it took about 5 hours though.

38. Ehren

Ehren

Does that mean they're still deciding?

I updated my game last night (upgrade to 3.0, more readable font, minor fixes/enhancements) because I figured the winners had already been decided. Can someone let me know if that's not the case?
    Ehren

39. jackshiels

jackshiels

It is likely that they decided earlier in the month.

40. w00dn

w00dn

The winners of this year's Unity Awards have been announced, with five key prizes given out to titles developed using the platform in the past twelve months.

AirAttack HD on the iPad won the main Grand Prix award.
    The Grand Prix award was handed to AirAttack HD, created by Art in Games, while Best Gameplay was won by Nonverbal's Colorbind.

Best Visual Design went to Uncanny Games for The Uncanny Fish Hunt, while Best Mobile Game was won by Rimelands: Hammer of Thor from Dicework Games.

The Best Non-Game award was handed to ILP's LoveMyHome.

Meanwhile three 'up-and-coming' gongs were handed out in the Rising Stars category - created to honour small or independent developers that have attracted significant attention with their work - to Uncanny Games, Exit Strategy Entertainment and Gregor Falk.

The Unity Awards were presented during this year's Unite Conference, taking place in Montreal, Canada.

From gamesindustry.biz

41. Whimsical

Whimsical

Any words on the runner ups?

42. sobral

sobral

Any news?

43. arzi

arzi

44. ai2design

ai2design

Arzi,

by the way congrats for the prize.

Best regards

AI2 Design

45. pordox

pordox

Congratulations to all the winners! Nice job x)

46. kayoone

kayoone

still cant find the runner ups, any word on them ?

47. Whimsical

Whimsical

I bet there aren't any, at least officially. A few things changed during the nomination period (nomination deadline, age restriction, etc). I think there even was a change in personnel during that time which resulted in the fact that nobody at UT was able to stop the nomination process which then went on for, I think, a week (without being counted, of course). And I guess the announcement that there will be honored runner-ups is now a thing of yesterday's past as well. At least it looks that way.

And of course, my dear Unity folks, I do NOT want to complain. I only say that a lot of people that were nominated could have thankfully used the promotional effect of an official announcement of being runner-up in a certain category quite well.

48. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Runner ups will be announced on the site. But most of them are games that also won other categories so don't expect too many surprises.

49. colargol

colargol

Thank you a lot for the Grand Prix.
    We are really happy from it and it means a lot to us when we are awarded for our work by professionals.
    We also love to thanks to Unity team for such a great engine and to friendly community for support.
    And at the end we are really sorry we wasn't able to make it to Montreal :(.

Art In Games

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  50. KarelA

KarelA

Congrats colargol. You guys really deserved the prize :D