Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing the 2010 Unity Awards!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by antenna-tree, Sep 7, 2010.

1. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Come get the fame and fortune that's rightly yours at the annual awards ceremony to be held at Unite 2010.

The Unity Awards is our way of honoring the best content being created with Unity.

Categories

We'll be awarding a Unity Award to the winner and a runner up in each of these categories:

• Grand Prix
    • Best Mobile Game
    • Best Visual Design
    • Best Gameplay
    • Best Non-Game

In addition we'll be honoring three Rising Stars; small or independent developers who are doing great work. Each of these Rising Stars will receive an awesome workstation complete with Unity Pro, Unity Android Pro, and Unity iPhone Pro.

How to Nominate

To nominate a Unity game or project for consideration, please fill out the official nomination form.

Important Dates

September 27th - Last day to submit your nomination
    November 12th - Winners announced

Previous Award Winners

To check out past Unity Award winners, please click on either of the following links:

Unity Awards 2009 Showcase
    Unity Awards 2008 Showcase

2. mikesgames

mikesgames

is there a minimum age to enter this contest??

edit--

dammit. I read the TaC and i have to be 18 or older.

You need a young people award.

We work as hard as everyone else (or at least some of us do)

3. Sam Shiels

Sam Shiels

Fantastic! What's the final day to submit your actual project build?

That's strange, here it says the last day to submit your nomination is september 27th but on http://www.unity3d.com/awards it says september 13th. Which one's correct?

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I'm not 100% sure but I believe we extended the deadline to the 27th. I will make sure of that and have the date on the site corrected and/or correct this one.

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I don't know why we restricted the age this year. I agree with you that an award for 18 and under would be cool so I'll ask why we changed this.

6. mikesgames

mikesgames

ok, thanks!

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Because we're actually starting to pay attention to the legalities behind these things as they relate to taxation and "protection of minors". At least that's my understanding of things.

8. mikesgames

mikesgames

Under 18's, like me, would love a way to get Unity pro! And this is the only way without saving for the next god knows how long!

9. yangmeng

yangmeng

If we have a "showable state" project but it is not likely to be up on the Apple App Store on time for the 9/27 deadline, is AdHoc an option?
    Or is it better not to choose iOS as the Primary Platform in that case?
    Or is there some other option?

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As long as you get a playable version to us by the deadline then you're good to go. The problem with submitting ad hoc builds is that they must be built for specific devices, so before building you need the UDID's for those devices, thus your mental deadline needs to be quite a bit earlier than the deadline date to you can allow time to email, get device UDIDs, make the ad hoc builds and then get them submitted.

I'll ping the coordinators about this to see if we can preemptively share the judging device UDIDs to ease things for folks in this situation.

11. yangmeng

yangmeng

Sounds good. Thanks for clarifying.

12. luisanton

luisanton

Could someone please confirm me if Oddy Smog's Misadventure has been correctly submitted? I tried yesterday, but all I got after clicking 'submit' was a blank page... (and yes, I wrote to awards at unity3d.com, but I got no answer. Sorry to somehow re-post!)

Good luck to all entries! :D

13. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Also, are we still able to revise the games after submission? I might have one to submit if I have the option of additional development time.

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Thomas Grové is our man in charge of handling entries and he's on a business trip in Korea right now so he may be a bit slower than normal in replying to awards@ inquiries. If you've not heard back in another few (business) days then ping me directly and I'll see what I can do for you.

Edit: and as we've done in years past (like this) I'm sure we'll have a thread going with entries. That way you'll know if you're in by seeing it there. :)

If you *need* to submit updates, and you do so *before* the deadline then yes you can do that. But please, do not take that to mean we're your version control system and submit regular or repeated updates. My point? Finish your game and then submit it one time, that's the preferred method, then use the ability to submit updates if critical and necessary. Also, anything submitted after the deadline will not be considered for judging purposes, otherwise what's the point of a deadline?

Sorry if that sounds cranky but in years past people have really abused the ability to submit updates and we've had folks submit way too many of them. One title last year saw almost a dozen updates between first submission and the deadline, WTF?!

15. jackshiels

jackshiels

We are so there!

maybe this time we can claim a 1st :twisted:

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Just a slight update to the awards nomination process. The game being submitted for consideration does not need to be your own. If you know of fantastic Unity games out there that you feel are worthy of winning an award please nominate them and provide the proper information for them. This will ensure that we truly get the best content that has been made over the last year even if the creators themselves were not aware of the awards.

The rules of the awards nomination process will be updated on the site by Monday hopefully.

Thanks everyone, and keep submitting those games!

17. lion-gv

lion-gv

Hey all, I'm finally here to chime in!

First, thanks for the questions and feedback. The Awards page has been updated.

In summary:
    1) you can nominate other people's work, so long as their stuff is made in Unity
    2) there is no age restriction as we're not giving out cash prizes

Additionally, I've made public a window into the nominated content to date. You can view the google spreadsheet here.

18. jackshiels

jackshiels

Wait - does that mean we have to release a demo to be considered? I suppose we can get one out before the deadline.

19. lion-gv

lion-gv

Yea, you have to submit something playable, representative of the final quality that you're aiming for. If your stuff isn't ready then you're better off waiting until next year.

20. Discord

Discord

I was just curious if you could elaborate on how you will be picking the three Rising Stars? Is that there so those of us who are working solo or with a small team can compete with the stuff being put out by bigger teams?

21. lion-gv

lion-gv

@Discord,

Yes, Rising Star is an award for up and coming developers. The same criteria will be used as all of the other awards but it helps us to guarantee that million+ dollar production budgets don't exclude indie devs from the awards.

22. jackshiels

jackshiels

When is the final submission date? We will have something ready by then, but the finished product may be a couple more weeks after the 27th.

23. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

@HiggyB:
    That makes sense! I didn't realize it had been abused so much. In my case, the game's in prototype stage, but not really near finished. I guess I'll wait for next year and just play what everyone's submitted. :)

24. mikesgames

mikesgames

So what about under 18's with parental permission???

25. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you had read Thomas' posts you would've noticed that the age restriction has been lifted.

26. mikesgames

mikesgames

ok sorry, my blindness :p

27. lfalin

lfalin

Any word on the UDIDs yet?

28. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It was decided that the game needs to be on the App Store to be considered.

29. lfalin

lfalin

Given the lead time required for that, it would have been nice if that had been announced.

30. KarelA

KarelA

I had a question about the game upload. It is stated that you want a webplayer version of the game. Right now i am on Unity3.0 and its webplayer version does not work elsewhere. Today i read in blog that Unity will be released any day now.

I guess the release will happen before september 27-nth so the Unity3.0 users can build a required web player???

31. temo_koki

temo_koki

Is this contest only for games? Can I submit demonstration of code(cutting skinned meshes)?

32. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

There have been entries in the "Best Non-Game" category for tools and extensions made for/with Unity.

33. Dr.Pure

Dr.Pure

Would be good to know!

34. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, as it states in the nomination submission form, standalone applications will be accepted under rare circumstances. This falls under that exception. If you submit a standalone please make sure to provide both a Windows and Intel Mac build.

However, we are going to extend the deadline for a few days (until October 1st) to hopefully provide a window of time for people to submit web players of their submissions between the release of 3.0 and the deadline.

35. sobral

sobral

Hey there.

I'd like to participate in Unity Awards with an iPhone game.

The thing is that the game will only be published after September 27. But is finished!

So you won't be able to have it from Apple Store before that. I can only give you access to one or two iDevices, if you send me de udID of your devices.

Is that possible?

Thank you in advance.

36. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Any iPhone game must be published to the App Store by October 1st to qualify for the 2010 Unity Awards.

37. yangmeng

yangmeng

2 questions:
    When creating the web player build for submission in Unity 3, is it best to use "Offline Deployment"?
    And though the project builds need to be submitted by 10/01, can the game play video link be updated after the deadline?
    Thanks

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No. You need to submit your content as your end users will view it, and in almost every case I can imagine you'd have your users view it online, not offline. So only use the offline option if that's truly how you'll end up shipping your title.

If you make changes after the deadline then those will not be considered for judging. If you change the game play video link and we notice that it's been updated then you might end up having your game play video ignored entirely for judging. So if you do that then please make sure the original video posted before the deadline is *clearly* available for us to find.

39. seon

seon

What about games that are in the store but the versions we want to enter are newer (and much better updates) updates that have not made it through submission yet? We have 2 games in that exact situation?

For instance, one of our games updates addresses a crash bug that we wouldn't want to be present for the Unity Awards judges.

40. yangmeng

yangmeng

I'm a little confused. My game will actually be distributed as a standalone, but I thought that webplayer builds were preferred over standalone builds for submitting to the contest. So my title will be shipped to be used offline but as a standalone build, not as a webplayer.
    I assumed that from the submission form requesting a "Download Link" that a zipped file with the webplayer build in it was best, not a link to an online version. The webplayer build options are streamed, offline and debug. So is "streamed" the preferred build option even though it will be played from a downloaded file? Sorry if I am being dense about this.

OK. That one I get. How much will the gameplay video be utilized by the judges in making their decisions?

41. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I can understand the confusion and apologize for it (even if I'm not directly responsible). On the submission page it says "Primary Platform" with a choice for "Standalone". Then, the very next sentence is "We want app store links or webplayer builds. Only rare exceptions will be allowed as standalone applications". This sends a confusing message for sure. If your game is solely meant to be a Standalone app then submit it as one. Just make sure to include builds for both Mac and Windows.

As far as the video goes, it only helps to convince the judges more that your game rocks ;) - I recommend submitting one if you are able to.

42. yangmeng

yangmeng

OK. Thanks. That helps a lot. Especially since the web player builds I have tried making with Unity 3 are not working for some reason...

43. seon

seon

I know you are all busy ;) But anyone from UT wanna answer this one? Time is running out for submissions :(

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  44. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

@Seon - the submission deadline is October 1st. Will we start downloading and judging games October 2nd? Probably not, so there's a possibility that we won't get to your game until the updated one is available, but it's best to have the version that you would like to have us judge available October 1st. That's the best I can put it.

45. seon

seon

Ok, thanks Ethan. The way Apple are going on approvals at the moment, our updated version will not be available by the 1st. No Probs, will submit the current online versions, with a "bug list" of things to avoid for the judges ;)

Cheers, and congrats on the release of Unity 3!

46. Dr.Pure

Dr.Pure

Heyhey!
    I'm kinda the "last-minute guy" so do we have time to upload our entry on the 1st of October till 23.59 or 30th September till 23.59? I'm asking just to be sure =)

47. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Let's make it 23:59 on October 1st.

48. jackshiels

jackshiels

So are we allowed to submit our game as a standalone file? It says there will be "rare exceptions". We want a standalone as it is what this game was engineered for - webplayers are great but it will run better as a standalone.

49. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

As I said to yangmeng earlier on this page, we will accept standalones. But if you submit a standalone you need to provide both Mac and Windows versions.

50. jackshiels

jackshiels

Okies, thanks.