Unity Community

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertex Painter

1. Posts
    "Go outside, the graphics are amazing!"

Check out these FX packs on the Asset Store!
    Fire Pack
    Explosion Pack
    Water Pack
    Weather Pack
    Northern Lights

Any reviews/ratings would be appreciated. It help me out a lot!

whenever I try to paint cloth physics weights, I just get a rectangle selection box, the tool says to hold CTRL or CMD to paint, doesn't seem to be working.

3. Location
    Orlando, FL
    When you say "doesn't seem to be working" what do you mean exactly?

Do you get a circular graphic illustrating the tool is active?
    Do you paint but no weights seem to be applied?
    Is the object locked and ready to be painted?
    No more Tiled Textures! - Vertex Painter with blend shaders for painting meshes
    [ Vertex Painter 2 released! ] with desktop and mobile blend shaders:
    --> Click Here <--
    Also Available on the Unity Asset Store
    --> Click Here <--

4. Location
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm interested in Vertex Painter for a project that requires a terrain on iOS 3gs and up. I've used fixed function and shader vertex colors in other engines and desktop hardware in the past but not so much for mobile.

Without a demo I'm not sure what to expect performance wise. When blending three textures on a single terrain mesh, will the terrain mesh get drawn three times in hardware to get the blend result like old 90's desktop tech.

Since my client is paying very little for a freeware game it would be nice to determine whether your vertex painter is suitable or I'm better off cutting up the terrain and making UV's fit.

So any information about the mobile shaders and how they perform would be handy, thanks.
    Last edited by Tysoe; 03-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.

5. Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I, too, have the same problem as XRA. I'm on a Mac with the latest OS (Lion 10.7.3) and I have the latest Unity Pro Version 3.5.0f5. Here are two screenshots showing the hair I'm trying to paint but I just get a rectangle dragging underneath the rest of the stuff and no color changes to the vertices boxes.
    Attached Images   

6. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Tysoe, Don, I will respond to these later tonight when I get back to my desktop and can troubleshoot. Thanks.
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

7. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Tysoe, The 3 texture mobile blend shader will result in two draw calls and the 2 texture blend shader is only 1 draw call.

If you are not satisfied with the performance after purchase, PM me and ask for a refund and you will get one no questions asked.

A rough idea of performance can be found on the previous page, where someone tested the two texture and three texture blend. Unfortunately I do not have a 3gs to test on.
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

8. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Don, are you using CTRL to paint? do not click and drag. Only press CTRL and drag, otherwise you will get the rectangle if you try to click and drag.
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

9. Location
    Pennsylvania, USA

Aha! Uh... nope still not affecting the points

Quote Originally Posted by reissgrant View Post
    Don, are you using CTRL to paint? do not click and drag. Only press CTRL and drag, otherwise you will get the rectangle if you try to click and drag.
    Aha! Or so I thought. I was clicking with the mouse instead of JUST holding Control or Command. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. So I played around with it for a while. No matter what settings and values I used the vertex painter did not visually appear to be affecting the vertices. The only thing I did notice was that the larger radius I used the more time it took for the 'paint' code to execute. This only occurred when holding control or command! So something is definitely processing data trying to sort through all of the vertices to paint, but they are not affecting the point or they are being reset or protected somehow.

To test their being affected I used Unity's cloth painting and was able to use select all and select none, and change values with visual color changes occurring with the boxes representing the vertices. I was also able to, point by point, touch and affect any vertex with their paintbrush tool; ugh, very painful. Here is a snapshot to show the lower section of hair having been painted point by point, the green boxes (green during play, yellow when not playing) are all values that are set to zero. I also tested running the game as seen in the picture below to test if the values were being affected but not correctly displayed by the boxes; again, the only points that move are the one's in blue that were hand touched with Unity's skinned cloth tool.

Thanks for jumping on this problem quickly Grant and I look forward to using this tool very soon!
    Attached Images  

10. Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I should also note that I am using the latest version of the Vertex Painter, (ver 1.1.3), and this is a fresh project only created a couple of days ago. The menu bar under 'Vertex Painter' only read 'Vertex Painter v.1' so perhaps that is an issue? or a bug?

I also tested using the normal vertex painting and that works great. I also tried using the cloth painter on a default unity skinned character that I added a cloth component to and it does not work (same results as the images above).

I can also send you this project as it is not anything huge. Just let me know where you'd like me to drop it.

Don
    Last edited by Don Goddard; 03-29-2012 at 11:03 PM.

11. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Don please send me the project so I can troubleshoot.

A few things you can try in the meantime:

I have a skinnedcloth character in the demoscene. It is in : Assets/_vertexPainter/Demoscene/Models/skinnedClothTest.fbx

I just tested this by dragging it in the scene and it worked perfectly.
    Try the same by adding a skinned cloth modifier, locking it and painting. Set the "max distance target value" to 0 and try to paint.

Another thing to test would be the sizing of your object. Create a cube primitive in Unity and it should be 1x or 2x the size of your skinned cloth object you are trying to paint. Often if the size of your object is too large or too small, it creates problems for the tool. This can be helped by simply resizing your skinned cloth object using the scale modifier. Size it down to the size of a primitive cube, paint it, then upsize it when you are finished painting.

*EDIT:

I looked at your screenshot, and the play button is activated. Are you trying to paint while in play mode? You should only paint in Editor Mode when not playing the scene.
    Last edited by reissgrant; 03-30-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

12. Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Don please send me the project so I can troubleshoot.

A few things you can try in the meantime:

I have a skinnedcloth character in the demoscene. It is in : Assets/_vertexPainter/Demoscene/Models/skinnedClothTest.fbx

I just tested this by dragging it in the scene and it worked perfectly.
    Try the same by adding a skinned cloth modifier, locking it and painting. Set the "max distance target value" to 0 and try to paint.

Another thing to test would be the sizing of your object. Create a cube primitive in Unity and it should be 1x or 2x the size of your skinned cloth object you are trying to paint. Often if the size of your object is too large or too small, it creates problems for the tool. This can be helped by simply resizing your skinned cloth object using the scale modifier. Size it down to the size of a primitive cube, paint it, then upsize it when you are finished painting.

*EDIT:

I looked at your screenshot, and the play button is activated. Are you trying to paint while in play mode? You should only paint in Editor Mode when not playing the scene.
    No dice, yet. I loaded up your 'vertexPainterDemoScene_Finished' which already has the skinned cloth character. When I view the boxes you can see they are multicolored. I tried to lock and paint but nothing would change. I also tried using the tool to clear all of the values to 0 and it still had multicolored boxes! Very odd. Whenever I would attempt to paint I would get 'Array index is out of range' errors. I also dragged in the model fresh and still no luck and even dragging it in fresh it showed multicolored boxes.

I also went back to my scene and put in a primitive cube and it's default size is the size of the head you see in the previous images. So the scale should be ideal for editing.

Note, I normally try painting in Edit mode but in the previous email pics I tried it in Play mode as well.

I have the project up on DropBox and just need an email for you to access it (or I can put it up in Google Docs which requires an email as well). PM me. (By the way, are you testing this on a Mac or PC?)
    Attached Images   

13. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Don, PM sent with my email.

This is very strange behavior, and I have no clue what would cause this. I am testing on a PC, though Monday I can test on a Mac if it isn't resolved by then. I'll look forward to receiving your test file.
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

14. Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Tysoe, The 3 texture mobile blend shader will result in two draw calls and the 2 texture blend shader is only 1 draw call.

If you are not satisfied with the performance after purchase, PM me and ask for a refund and you will get one no questions asked.

A rough idea of performance can be found on the previous page, where someone tested the two texture and three texture blend. Unfortunately I do not have a 3gs to test on.

Thanks, that sounds pretty decent performance wise and as far as I am concerned vertex blending is a must have feature. Going to go buy it now.

15. Location
    Orlando, FL
    @Don: Unity 3.5 has broken the skinned cloth functionality, so I will have to dig in the code to figure out what has changed in 3.5.

Until then, the skinned cloth painter will work with the previous version of Unity if you still have that installed. I'll let you know when I have a fix for this.

@Tysoe: Thanks!
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

16. Location
    Croatia
    Whats the difference between indie and commercial license?
    Portfolio:Under construction!
    Cartoony Weapon Pack-Medieval-FREE
    New to Unity? Orient yourself now!
    Learn Unity

17. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanzu View Post
    Whats the difference between indie and commercial license?
    They are ultimately the same, though I urge developers who are using it for large commercial projects to pay a little extra
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

18. Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Okay, I do have 3.4. Does the PC version of Unity 3.5 work with the cloth painting?

Thanks again, for looking at this, I look forward to a fix for the Mac!

19. Location
    Orlando, FL
    Don,

The PC version has the same bug with 3.5.
    --> Click Here <--
    --> Click Here <--

20. Posts
    Hey,

I have just purchased Vertex Painter but have run into an issue with the shaders. I want my game to run on mobile devices so I select one of the mobile shaders but they just won't display correctly. The first shader seems to work 'mobile_Vertex_Blend_2tex' but the Unlit versions show up almost black. I have all the texture slots filled in.

There looks to be three, 3texture lightmap mobile shaders, 2 of which show up as a wireframe in the viewport and the third shows up really dark, but with some of the colours from the verts showing through.

Hope you can help

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast