Search Unity

Carrara8 fbx animation

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Dukeofvampires, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Dukeofvampires

Dukeofvampires

carrara at last has a working fbx animation exporting (as is written on the developer's web site)

i'm professional game designer but am not familiar with unity.

I made a rigged starship model, then recorded an animation track and exported it using FBX.
    Then i drag-and-dropped fbx file to the unity, splited animation into clips via key frames. I dropped model to the hierarchy and attached all animation clips to it.
    Then i just did a simple script to run animation when button pressed.

But the model just disappears from viewport when button is pressed.

Help please.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

sure its bone skinned not morphed?

morph is not supported

3. Dukeofvampires

Dukeofvampires

thanks for answer.

Yes, bone skinned.
    Actually I exported exactly the same model with out any changes via collada and it looks like it works. I just didn't know, that unity supports collada file format.
    So i think it's ok for now.

But i'm wondering is it me, or is it DAZ, who is not able to export fbx...

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

likely DAZ
    in c7 pro which I own, the fbx export was totally useless, while the DAE was somewhere usable.

and thats for general usage, not just unity, just in case.

Its bad that Carrara and Hexagon got into the hands of Trash3D, Eovia wasn't all that great but at least they did not blatantly ignore serious bugs reported (I reported osx related bugs with C5 Pro and C6 Pro already that are still not fixed and the reason I don't evne consider to upgrade). should I invest in a modeller again for broad use, then it will likely be C4D

5. Dukeofvampires

Dukeofvampires

perhaps you are right.

Now i have another problem:
    I imported animated model in .dae format, animation is running well, but mesh disappears when i try to split it to clips.

Is it DAZ again, or am I doing some thing wrong?