Search Unity

iphone trampoline

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by deadbug, Aug 16, 2010.

1. deadbug

deadbug

Hey all,
    am using unity 3 b5 and have this error i cant solve when i build.

Error building Player: FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/Users/christopher/Desktop/Go Go Samurai/Temp/StagingArea/iPhone-Trampoline/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/christopher.pbxuser".
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Has anyone had the same?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. dayglo

dayglo

I've had the same this morning mate!

3. mrvaibhavpanchal

mrvaibhavpanchal

Hmmm. Me too!
    I was able to run scene once on iPad though.

4. umop

umop

Any workarounds for this?

5. andeeeee

andeeeee

This is probably the result of absolute pathnames being used to locate assets (if the project folder has moved then the paths might be incorrect). You should be able to fix this by deleting the assets referred to in the error and adding them back into the project. Alternatively, just move the project folder back to its original location.

This problem is a known and logged bug in Unity but wasn't detected in time for the 3.0 release. It is scheduled to be fixed in the next version.

6. ibyte

ibyte

Hey andeee,

my error is the same but I don't know what asset this error is referring to

Error building Player: FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/Users/glennjones/src/dev/matchPoint/Temp/StagingArea/iPhone-Trampoline/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/glennjones.pbxuser".
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

That file is not on my machine, how and when is it created. I get this when tryinh to build a universal application.

Thanks

iByte

7. mswehli

mswehli

Hi,
    I get almost the exact same error but also no idea what it refers to. just says my name .pbxuser.

Anyone figure out how to fix this?

8. mswehli

mswehli

Think its a problem with the project file, i created a new project, duplicated all the assets, and references all the scripts and textures, and it built normally. This is fine because its a small project, but for larger projects i don't think this solution would be viable.

[EDIT] After creating the new project, i found that the temp folder in my older project directory had been deleted, so i opened the old project again and built it and it worked. Guess it just needed to recreate the temp folder?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. ibyte

ibyte

I checked my project folder and there was a TEMP directory. I deleted it and now I am able to build.

Thanks

iByte

10. Sam at FPS

Sam at FPS

Just wanted to add that I just got this error too.

Out of nowhere my project won't build and keeps showing that error.

Re-imported all assets. No good.
    Re-started Unity. No good.
    Deleted temp file. No good.
    Re-started computer. No good.

I'm re-creating the whole project right now. I'm not happy, and my boss is even less happy after I told him 'Something went wrong and the whole project is f*cked and I don't know how to fix it'.

This better work....:mad:

11. Sam at FPS

Sam at FPS

Hmmm.. ok, maybe instead of getting angry I should ask for help.

I have possibly accidentally flicked or switched or done something. Now when I build in Unity (just build, not build and run), Unity doesn't open up Xcode like it used to.

I've re-created the project and I no longer get the error mentioned in the OP, but some xcode build scripts are not running now because Unity is not opening up the xcode project.

Does that ring any bells for anyone?

12. schplurg

schplurg

I am having this problem too and have not found a solution. I have not moved any assets or my projects folder. The only thing I did was set a texture to import at 2048 instead of 1024, then I put it back to 1024 when I saw this error. ???

The error happens when I use "build" or "build and play".

Any word on when this bug fix will be available?

13. schplurg

schplurg

Update:

After exporting all assets to a Unity Package, the original project now works again! I never even created the new project, in fact I accidentally "built and played" the old one and it worked.

What the...?

14. Thom Denick

Thom Denick

The reason it suddenly started working is because you finally deleted your temp folder, which you do by simply quitting and restarting Unity.

15. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

This problem started happening in our project. I can append to an existing Xcode project, but whenever I try to build the project new for iOS, I get the error quoted by the original poster. Deleting the Temp folder and/or quitting Unity has no effect.

I even tried renaming user.pbxuser to danielbrauer.pbxuser during the build process (the generic file gets created near the beginning of the build, whereas the error moving the specific name happens near the end). This caused a different error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Error building Player: IOException: Failed to Copy File / Directory from 'Temp/StagingArea/iPhone-Trampoline/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj' to '/Users/danielbrauer/ [path to project] /Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj'.
    I can't fix this myself, because that file does exist. The use of absolute and relative paths might be related to the known problem that andeeee mentioned.

16. Fastrak

Fastrak

I only see this error if I am opening a project created on another machine. When I get it I;

Open the xcode project manually and build / save once.

Now Unity will be able to build and append to this project correctly.

17. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

This was fixed for me in Unity 3.2.

18. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Actually, it still appears to be happening in 3.2 and 3.3. I don't know what causes it yet, or why it works sometimes.

19. Zoneman

Zoneman

I think I found the solution. This worked for me.

In my case it seemed the error occurred because I renamed my Unity parent project folder. I changed the name back to the original name, and it worked fine.

It seems Unity / xCode builds, doesn't favor changing the name for the project parent folder(directory).

Lemme know

20. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

We haven't changed the name of our project from 3.1 through 3.3.

21. tion80

tion80

I suspect this is happening because of what you set in 'BuildOptions'

I used to set it as BuildOptions.AcceptExternalModificationsToPlayer and having pbxuser issue

Once i change that to BuildOptions.Development BuildOptions.AllowDebugging BuildOptions.ShowBuiltPlayer, I don't have an issue anymore

22. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

I've seen similar results in recent testing. It appears that the bug was fixed except for this case. I'll report it if you haven't already.

23. angelann_182000

angelann_182000

I have the same problem but it works now. What I did is just quit unity. The TEMP folder is automatically deleted, you can check it out in finder. Then I started unity again and press build and run. And it now build perfectly.

24. Markus

Markus

For anyone having trouble with this and deleting the Temp folder doesn't help, I may have a hack fix for you (just my style).

My Temp folder is automatically deleted when I close Unity, but when I reopen I still get the same build error.

What I did was trace the path to the 'User.pbxuser' file (given in the error) WHILE Unity was building my project and renamed it to match the missing [username].pbxuser. The Unity build succeeded and XCode took over just fine. Error hasn't returned.

ftw.

25. tallyho_stu

tallyho_stu

I'd support Zoneman's comment. I only start getting the problem when I'm trying to append to an existing build in which I've changed the standard project name in Xcode. Leaving the standard Unity-iPhone project name allows appending without build errors.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  26. jamieb

jamieb

I'm getting this now. Perfect (ly bad) timing. How do I fix it?

3.3.0f4

27. dadako

dadako

restarting unity seems to get rid of this

28. thomasw

thomasw

I'm running into this problem with Unity 3.4. Restarting doesn't fix the problem for me.

29. cholland

cholland

I was having the same problem. The initial part of the problem came when another coder and I were sharing the same XCode project through SVN. He originally made the project on his machine. I tried to make Unity append to this project but I was getting the "FileNotFoundException: [long path here]/<username>.pbxuser" issue.

What I did to fix it was.. have Unity build to a fresh xcode project folder. Then go into its "Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj" folder (of the new build), and copy out my <username>.pbxuser file. Then paste that file into my "share" projects "Unity-IPhone.xcodeproj" folder.

Now I can build and append to the share version just fine. I do seem to get a red thread::CurrentThreadIsMainThread error but it is working.

30. jamieb

jamieb

I figured it out (at least for me): I had just checked out of git, and so there was no jamie.whatever file. Once I opened the file in XCode, the files appeared, and then I could build from Unity with the error. Phew!

31. Bangz

Bangz

This worked for me! Simply copied another pbxuser and set the filename to be my username, within Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj. Thanks CHolland :)

32. Ipsquiggle

Ipsquiggle

cholland's solution worked for me as well. Thanks!

33. sheva

sheva

cholland's method works :) Thank you.

34. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Another happy customer of cholland here. Thanks :)

35. markofjohnson

markofjohnson

I'm probably paraphrasing what other people said... I fixed this by:

1) Open the Xcode project you are trying to append build (which for me is checked out from SVN, made by another developer)
    2) Go to the project file, do 'show package content' and find user.pbxuser
    3) Copy and rename that file in place to your username.pbxuser
    4) Append build now fixed.

I think what is happening is that Unity is copying the Xcode project you are trying to append build into the Temp iPhone trampoline area, and it deletes and recopies every time you build. Thats why you can't fix the problem in Temp. You gotta fix it in the Xcode project itself.

The answer about changing the file during the build was funny! (Dude, your computer is slow!) Get a solid state drive if you can afford it. It will change your life.

36. AnCh

AnCh

Hi there,

I'm encountering the same problem, but while building with Jenkins CI.

As soon as I use BuildOptions.AcceptExternalModificationsToPlayer, I get the following error:

Error building Player: FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/Users/anchmac/Documents/Jenkins/UnityProject/Temp/StagingArea/iPhone-Trampoline/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/anchmac.pbxuser". :(

There's only a user.pbxuser to be found in the xcode project.

I can't do anything like renaming the file from user.pbxuser to anchmac.pbxuser because Unity deletes the Temp directory prior to creating the build.

Is there some official workaround? I don't want to rename my Mac User to "user" just to match the pbxuser file name.

How come Unity is looking for user.pbxuser? Can I configure this somewhere?

Regards,
    An of Ch

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  37. AnCh

AnCh

After digging for hours this funny little patch helped me out: I changed the system environment variable "USER" to "user".

38. Cawas

Cawas

39. chiodo80

chiodo80

Hi guys, I had the same problem and the reason is for a "change of folder name".
    I really didn't change my folder name directly.
    I'm using a Mac and I changed my user "short name" like from jhonsmith to jsmith.
    SO my funity folder has changed from Users/jhonsmith/myproject to Users/jsmith/myproject.
    So I chaged again my short name, rebooted the Mac and it's fixed!
    To figure out this I spent an hour reading the thread xD

40. AbgaryanFX

AbgaryanFX

Thanks man !

41. Robin_H

Robin_H

cholland love you~~~~~ You know it.:D

42. Lousest

Lousest

I was having the same problem! And I fix it
    you just need to change the Unity build path or delete older .

:Dwise it can help you

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

cholland
    Thanks man! your method fixed it.