Unity Community

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yann
    Best integration of the SpaceNavigator I ever saw is in Google apps : SketchUp (in "camera" mode) and Google Earth.
    I didn't like the integration in those, last I checked, because you did not have local Z-axis rotation. Has that been added, by any chance? I don't like Maya, but it's the best app, in terms of SpaceNavigator control, that I've tried yet.

2. Unity Product Evangelist
    All: to tidy things up a bit I've locked the other two threads on Space Navigator support to encourage the conversation to occur here, in one location.

Space Navigator Support (locked)
    SpaceNavigator (locked)
    Tom Higgins - Product Evangelist at Unity Technologies ApS
    unity3d.com | answers | blogs | feedback

3. Location
    Lyon, France
    @Higgy : hi Higgy, good idea. Still thinking of the big planetary laugh we had the other day at the front of the "Unity store" in the Unity 2.5 announcement thread... er, sorry, nothing to do with the SpaceNavigator

@Jessie : I didn't see such an option in Google Earth, but Sketchup allows you to enable/disable what they call "rolling", which makes the camera behave like the plane you point to. But I can't get used to that feature, so I always leave it off. If you have indications on how to use it correctly, I'm interested.
    By definition, nothingness doesn't exist...

4. Unity Product Evangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by errormaker
    Why wait?
    And just to answer this. The "why wait" is because we have had, and have, plenty of other things to do that have been or are higher priority than space navigator support. Eventually you may see it, but for now this hasn't risen high enough to make the cut.

@Yann: whuppin' stick round 2
    Tom Higgins - Product Evangelist at Unity Technologies ApS
    unity3d.com | answers | blogs | feedback

5. Location
    Sweden
    Ok Higgy, I vill post a replay on only one threads in the future.
    Further more, I vill not make a new post on a topics already exist.
    I realize that is must be some order in a forum.
    Sometimes I got too impulsive. Thats me.

And once more, I want to say: there is not anything more important
    that an optimal control over an application. The application it self comes
    in second hand (if its working properly... and Unity does...)

6. Location
    Lyon, France
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyB
    Ouch ! Is that the new SpaceNavigator secret experimentation area you're defending ?

7. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yann
    Sketchup allows you to enable/disable what they call "rolling", which makes the camera behave like the plane you point to. But I can't get used to that feature, so I always leave it off. If you have indications on how to use it correctly, I'm interested.
    Apparently some people can't. That's why Cheetah3D didn't even have the option, also last I checked (quite a while ago, now). But the SpaceNavigator itself also you to turns axes off, via its preference pane, so I don't believe that app creators should limit users in that fashion. However, it's just a matter of manual stabilization, as with the other five axes. Without the roll ability, modeling, sculpting, and painting can get very cumbersome in areas of overhang. It's similar to rotating a page...even Photoshop didn't have that ability until CS4. I can't believe that.

Unity certainly doesn't provide this functionality; I don't know of any 3D app that does, with only mouse support (Blender sort of does, if you start rotating near the edge of the screen, but it's not really possible to isolate the axis). If you're talking about the current Unity terrain engine, roll is not important. With anything in which polygons overlap each other in the Y axis, though, not having roll is a nightmare to me.

Quote Originally Posted by errormaker
    And once more, I want to say: there is not anything more important
    that an optimal control over an application. The application it self comes
    in second hand (if its working properly... and Unity does...)
    Right on. They spend all this time making the GUI nice, with useful features to help us work better, but the Scene View navigation is stuck in the dark ages. (What they have done for 2.5 is surely going to be nice, if you're on your laptop without a SpaceNavigator around, so I'm happy it was done, but it should have been done after getting the solution we want in place.)

The SpaceNavigator is not expensive. If you work with 3D, it doesn't make sense to not use it. I can understand UT not wanting to unnecessarily embrace third party technology, but there still is no competition, after it being out for about two years - this is the only reasonable choice for modern 3D control, for Unity's target market. Simply, UT is doing everyone a disservice, and slowing down everyone's productivity, by putting this on the back burner. I like these guys a lot, but the official word on this topic has been inauspiciously unprogressive.

8. Location
    Sweden
    Yes!

This is my own personal opinion: if You develop an app (Unity), You
    are completely in THAT world: GUI, features.. and so on.
    We are working with it...

Or maybe its very difficult to implement (SpaceNavigator)... dont now...

I can understand UT not wanting to unnecessarily embrace third party technology, but there still is no competition, after it being out for about two years...
    That company is going to be happy, if you do, and it will be
    a positive (and economical) spinoff for both UT and 3dconnexion.
    And if a new divide is born, it is certainly built on the old one...
    3D mouses are not going to disappear from the market...

...but it should have been done after getting the solution we want in place.
    Agree...

/err

9. Location
    Medellin, Colombia
    I think its unrealistic to expect UT will support every other 3rd party input device that comes along, even if its the only one of its kind.

Just give us a way to add such support ourselves then some of us can get together and put it up on the wiki.

That to me is the way to go.

10. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamorph
    I think its unrealistic to expect UT will support every other 3rd party input device that comes along, even if its the only one of its kind.
    I don't agree with you in this particular case, because the SpaceNavigator is important enough that it ought to have an official implementation, but in general...

Quote Originally Posted by ratamorph
    Just give us a way to add such support ourselves then some of us can get together and put it up on the wiki.
    ...that would be great. There are bound to be a few people who have even better, more expensive input devices, and they certainly shouldn't be held back.

11. Location
    Medellin, Colombia
    Important for most people that posted in this topic but clearly not as important to the real decision makers, they got other things on their table that to their judgement are more important.

That's the reason why Unity allows developers to add support to the editor as they need, but sadly doesn't give us control over the things we'd need to make Space Navigator support ourselves.

12. Posts
    +1 for Space mouse support!

13. Posts
    If the hooks into the new Unity Editor are as extensive as they sound in the description, it shouldn't be hard to implement this yourself. I've used 3DConnexions' .NET driver wrapper for navigation in my own applications, very straightforward.
    GlovePIE might be another alternative, depending on what the input API looks like.

14. Location
    Medellin, Colombia
    I asked Nicholas about coding support for the space navigator or other devices like it and apparently its not very possible to do it ourselves at the moment, it also doesn't seem to be in the works at least not for 2.6.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=21618

Maybe I didn't understood what he meant by
    Supporting SpaceNavigator is gonna be hard at the moment, though.
    I've looked everywhere and tried many things and I can't seem to find a way to move or rotate the scene view camera through scripting, and without this there doesn't seem to be a way to even start developing such support.

If anyone knows a way to do this, PM me or post it here, then we might be able to do it ourselves, if I find a way to do this I'll post it in the wiki for sure.
    Director of Development
    C2 Estudio
    www.c2estudio.com

15. Posts

Feature Request

Hey guys, I started a vote for this feature at the new feedback.unity3d.com site (See here: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=22460 )

Go vote for it if you're still interested!

16. Location
    Lyon, France
    Waiting for more editor APIS (a scriptable camera object, pleaaaaase...) I'm using the SpaceNavigator as a joystick in Unity...

But thanks to the FPS editor mode of Unity 2.5, you can already obtain beautiful and really helpful results. As an example, here's a ControllerMate bundle I made yesterday in a few minutes. It has already changed the way I navigate inside my Unity scenes : now I can really fly anywhere with the camera, without having to touch the keyboard :

www.tiviboo.com/unity/SpaceNavUnityFlyingCam.zip

Details :

- It only manages the 8 horizontal directions, but during the "flight" you just have to move your mouse (no need to press the 2nd mouse button, which is good on laptops) to pan your scene camera in any direction.

- When not moving, you can still rotate the camera by gently touching the SpaceNavigator's top and moving the mouse (or with a right mouseclick, of course)
    Be careful : this emulates a right-click, so use with precaution if your pointer is outside the scene view... if you find it too risky, you can disable the "Y-Axis" module in ControllerMate, or make it less reactive by enlarging the calibration values - or just toggle the SpaceNavigator on/off with its right button when you're not navigating.

- Left button is assigned to Unity's "F" key

- Right button toggles the SpaceNavigator on/off, as said

- If you perform a left mouse click during a "flight", the FPS will switch to fast mode, without pan. It will switch back to "normal" mode if you stop and move again.

Of course it's far from replacing a real implementation (pleaaaaaaaaaaase...) but at least it works pretty well and doesn't make your SpaceNavigator unuseable (or hardly useable) in Unity.

And of course you don't need a SpaceNavigator to use this bundle (just change the controllers in ControllerMate to any input device : joystick, or whatever) but people who already have one might find this interesting.

The ZIP file also contains a 3DConnexion settings file for Unity, to ensure you get the right camera behaviour. Just Import it from the 3DConnexion panel, after backing up your own Unity settings if you have some.

17. Location
    Lyon, France
    Forgot to include the "Unity is frontmost app" test in first version... the link is now updated.

18. Location
    UK
    And another vote for native SpaceNavigator support... this looks like something that'd be a big win in ease-of-use for people who spend a lot of time in the editor (which i guess is most people here). I'd love to give this a try.

19. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerome
    And another vote for native SpaceNavigator support... this looks like something that'd be a big win in ease-of-use for people who spend a lot of time in the editor (which i guess is most people here). I'd love to give this a try.
    Don't vote here! Do it at http://feedback.unity3d.com where it can be counted!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast