Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

JUST RELEASED!!! RapidUnity Light Library

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Greg-Bassett, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I have just released a new member to my RapidUnity suite of tools for Unity, Light Library!

The RapidUnity Light Library is a Unity Editor panel that allows you to quickly and easierly change the lighting setup within a scene.

The Light Library allows you to select between 18 different lighting preset environments, from Sunrise to Starry Night!

Use these presets to quickly set the mood and tone of your scenes!

To find out more, check out http://www.alabsoft.com/lightlib.shtml

Also look out for more RapidUnity tools coming soon, the RapidUnity Graphical Toolbar, and the RapidUnity Material Library.

2. MrDude

MrDude

Incredible coincidence this. I was just placing some purchased models in a scene yesterday and I was thinking to myself: "The models themselves look awesome but the scene as a whole looks boring and completely fake..."

I was thinking to myself that I need someone to teach me about proper game world lighting to give me that realistic look. And today I see this. Perfect.

unfortunately, you only say: "quickly and easierly change the lighting setup within a scene. ".

What exactly does this do? Does it create directional lights and rotate them at appropriate angles to give the kind of assistance I am looking for or is this more for small scenes like inside a bar etc.

What it all boils down to, is "Will this aid me in solving the above mentioned problem I am experiencing?"

3. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi MrDude!

Basically, the Light Library works by simply clicking the graphical buttons on the interface, and the scene then gets the required lights automatically created, positioned, and rotated. Existing lights are removed.

It is for both small and large scenes.

For example you might want to show case a single object, and you can use the Spot preset, or if you are doing a night time scene, you can use NightCloud, Starry Night or Full Moon to set the overall ambience of the setting.

Some presets use a mixture of all types of lights, directional, point and spot.

Hope that helps!

4. MrDude

MrDude

All I am looking for is a decent daytime lighting setup. I have just purchased the kit so I will be trying it out tonight. Fingers crossed! :)

And many thanks :)

5. DallonF

DallonF

Is there any particular reason why those are the exact same lighting presets as in trueSpace (R.I.P.)?
    And why did you keep the Negative preset? Unity doesn't support negative lights.

6. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Well spotted!

I use to develop for trueSpace, remember the plugin Puppeteer-tSX, that was one of mine!

The kinds of tools in trueSpace are similar to my RapidUnity concept, and hence the light library seemed a logical first port!

A library of preset materials is also needed in Unity, and a graphical toolbar, drives me mad going to GameObject menu, Create other..., Light, or cube etc, having graphical buttons on a toolbar would be nice.

Watch this space...

With regards to negative light option, I just put together a light setting that represents negative colour scheme.

7. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

This looks amazing. Does this require pro?

8. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks!

To take advantages of shadowing, you need Pro.

But it works fine in Unity standard without shadows.

9. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

Can I use it for commercial purposes, say, to demo some models that are up for sale?

10. waltermana

waltermana

if you have to buy something and cannot use it for commercial use, then it shouldnt cost anything

11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

waltermana answered your question in a roundabout way.

Yes, of course you can use my Light Library commercially, not a problem! :D

Only my Vehicle Editor is available with Indie and Commercial licenses, however you can use both licenses for commercial work, the commercial license is for studios with a certain annual turnover.

12. antrock101

antrock101

Although it's low price, i'd rather not buy anything without a demo. Any chance of that soon ?

13. tornadotwins

tornadotwins

I will have you know that I bought this right away!
    That's a no-brainer, any gamedev can use this.

Now waiting for the download link @.@

;-)

-TornadoTwins

14. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks for your positive post!

All my products are aimed at making life easier when using Unity!

Look out for Character Editor coming soon!

Also, I am liking your UnityPrefabs too! nice work! :D

15. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Just to let you all know there's only 1 day left to get my Light Library for only £7.99

From Wednesday 1st September, the cost will be £9.99.

16. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

Just to let you know from now until the end of September, you can save 20% off all my RapidUnity tools!

:D

Go to http://eepurl.com/78kE for more information!

17. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

With the recent release of Unity3, I just wanted to let you know that all my RapidUnity tools and fully compatible with this new version of Unity!

And to celebrate the launch of Unity3, and the compatibility with my RapidUnity tools, I am offering 20% off each of my tools for the next 5 days only! (Offer ends Sunday 10th October 2010)

Go to http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=a43667b88456c932f84bb8739&id=d0fac57b57&e for more information!

18. Tiles

Tiles

Just curious. Do you have the permission to use the original trueSpace 6.6 / Modeler icons for your light library? This is a shot from trueSpace 7.61 Modeler Light Library. That`s the same icon set as you use for your tool.

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

20. Tiles

Tiles

Ah, i see. Thanks for the link. My question is nevertheless a valid one :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  21. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I want this sooooo badly! Too bad I have no money :( .

22. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi Tiles,

Well I am sure Roman the original developer of trueSpace would not mind, tS is owned by Microsoft now, but they are no longer doing any development, so its a dead product so to speak.

If MS contact me and tell me not to use them, then I guess will just create my own similar button images.

23. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

It's on offer until this Sunday, so still time to raid your piggy bank Mr Snake!

24. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi Greg Bassett ,

1. When we use the light set, what model scale would you recommend?
    (For example, when I create a plane as the floor and then import a 3d model into unity, what scale of it is preferable? (1, 10, or other value?))

2. How could we show the shadow of a 3d model, so that when the light move, shadow change too?

Thanks in advance

25. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

Just to let you know I have released a webplayer demo of Light Library in action, take a look on my website.

The webplayer allows you to switch the lighting in the scene, and also skybox background, simply by clicking the buttons on the left-hand side.

http://www.alabsoft.com/lightlib.shtml

26. Hans

Hans

Hello Greg

Dose it work in ver 3.1 ?
    also pro version

27. rockysam888

rockysam888

Oh Greg, this is much more easy to use!
    Will there be more options for light adjustment?

28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

@Hans, yes it works with Unity 2.x upwards, standard and pro.

@rockysam, thanks for your comment, with regards to more options, basically I can modify any parameter of the lights, which features/options would you like to see added?

BTW, I have updated the webplayer preview, now you can use the mouse to orbit the scene, just gives you more of a chance to see the results of using Light Library in the scene.

29. rockysam888

rockysam888

I concern more about the shadow option.
    Could you display shadow in web demo?
    :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  30. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

OK, I will modify the demo to show shadows...

31. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

32. rockysam888

rockysam888

33. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

34. summerl0v3r

summerl0v3r

hey

i bought your vehicle pack a couple of months ago..any chance of an update with waypoints etc
    great job on the scripts by the way real time savers

35. summerl0v3r

summerl0v3r

getting a couple of errors

Assets/A-Lab Software RapidUnity Vehicle Resource Pack v1.5/Editor/VehicleEditor.js(109,41): BCE0018: The name 'Car' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'System.Runtime.ConstrainedExecution.Cer'?

Terrain splat 0 is null.
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:GetGameObjectInstanceIDFromComponent(Int32)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

36. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

you should add some examples on how models/scenes look before and after the lighting!

37. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi summerl0v3r

You need to download and install my new build of the Unity Car Tutorial files, you should have received an email from me a week or so ago with a link to the update.

Here's the link, download and import this into any new Unity project, before you import the Vehicle Editor unity package.
    http://www.alabsoft.com/Unity3_Car_Tutorial_Cars.unitypackage

And with regards to a Vehicle Editor update, its on my to do list, waypoints, and automated opponents are top of my list.

38. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Have you seen the webplayer demo at the bottom of my Light Library we page.
    http://www.alabsoft.com/lightlib.shtml

39. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi Greg,

1. The webdemo show only 3 icons of light setting, but the product page has 18 icons.
    How many light settings shall we have?

2. When will we get the newest lightset 1.x?

Thanks in advance

40. Stolenbows

Stolenbows

Does it work with the free version of unity?

41. orb

orb

Ok, I'm about ready to buy the array tool and primitives, then I noticed this. Now I would like a triple bundle with those :)

42. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi orb,

Thanks for the suggestion for bundle offers, I have just implemented eJunkie for my automated product delivery, so no more waiting for me to email my software once you make a purchase.

eJunkie also allows for promo codes to be used, I will see what I can do, perhaps a buy 2 get 1 free deal?

43. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Hi Greg, great stuff. I am really looking forward to your new versions of you plugins. Regarding the script reference, I am a serious noobie to coding and am hammering away on Will's unity3dstudent... would your reference be a BIG help to gettting me a lot farther down the road with JS?

44. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi,

Will's video tutorials are great!

And I firmly believe my Scripting Reference would be a compliment to the video tutorials. The main plus point of my Scripting Reference, is that it has code snippets for doing certain things in Unity with GameObject's and Components, plus lots of other things.

I myself keep referring to it all the time when I am coding, its the whole reason I created it, I can never remember the exact syntax to get a GameObject's rotation, or to set its position, let alone other more complex operations, so my reference is great for quickly looking up how to do things.

Plus it also covers some other great topics, take a look at the Table of Contents on my website.
    http://www.alabsoft.com/scriptref.shtml

In fact I will be releasing an update soon, with some new topics I learn't recently when coding my latest product RapidUnity Graphical Toolbar, which coincidently was added to the Unity Asset Store yesterday! :p

45. rockysam888

rockysam888

What is the current version of the light library? Where could we download the updated version?