Search Unity

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Can you be more specific...? if you want to set a node to just do alpha, you just plug the "A" part of it, and plug it into any other node, or the master node :)

2. DiegoC

DiegoC

I want create this shader :
    Diffuse (Channel1) + Alpha (Channel 2 ) + Specular (Channel 2 ) + Normal (Channel 1 )

Channel is the Map Channel ; Mapping Coordinates or UV Mapping . In 3DSMax Diffuse is normally Channel 1 and Lightmapping in Channel 2
    Is possible create it with Strumpy Shader Editor?

Thanks

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

If you download my shader graph, you are basically getting this effect... can you post a screen shot of your graph? What effect are you trying to achieve?

4. DiegoC

DiegoC

I want to create a transparent/Bumped Specular shader but the alpha texture in channel 2.
    Main Color
    Specular Color
    Shininess
    Diffuse Texture (Channel 1)
    Alpha Texture (Channel 2)
    Normalmap Texture (Channel 1)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I could try and whip something up... but you will have to be patient... can you post an image of what you have so far...? I don;t know why you would want a colour input...your diffuse texture should be enough

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I don't have unity pro so render to texture is out of the question...

7. DiegoC

DiegoC

8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Let me figure this part out for you friend :)

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Attached Files:

10. DiegoC

DiegoC

Thanks. But the alpha texture is in Channel 1. How I change a Channel2?

11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hang on... :) i may have to split the alpha up... are you also trying to blend textures?

12. DiegoC

DiegoC

In this shader not, I want the alpha texture in another channel

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I would have to fool with it... still learning how to use the SSE

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

so you want to be able to use two alphas on the model?

15. DiegoC

DiegoC

No only one.

16. NickyD

NickyD

I am having a lot of problems getting Strumpy Editor to work. I am using unity3d windows build on windows 7 64-bit. When I import the package and open the editor I see everything except the shader preview in the details tab. I also receive the a warning that I have inconsistent line endings with some of my files. It specifically flags the TempShader file. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the package and unity itself. I have also tried changing the line endings to CR + LF and that didn't work either. I also tried changing the NewBehaviourScript.cs that is located in Unity\Editor\Data\Resources to CR + LF so that when new scripts are made the endings are consistent. None of these things seem to work and I would really like to use this shader editor. Anyone have any help or advice? Thanks in advance for your time =)

17. niosop2

niosop2

If you're using Unity free then you won't get a preview as it uses render to texture, a pro only feature. You can ignore the warning about the line endings. The generated shaders should still work, and you can do a poor man's preview by making a sphere in your scene and exporting the shader every time you want to see what it will look like.

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

^^that is what i've been doing... have you tried the clip shader...?

19. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Is there something up with the clip shader?

20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

No no...i was asking someone if they tried my modified shader, with the alpha set to clip the surface :)

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good evening, everyone, just passing thru to share some screen shots of my shader (which I am trying to improve and optimised. ALU is at 52 and Texture count at 7 ??!)

NI_Detail_Shader (With Gloss Masking) : In this capture, I am showing how the other tiles have no shine or gloss, using a mask set into it's own channel... (unrealistic, but i had no other object to use at the time of testing. And I may just use an alpha in my gloss texture)

NI_Detail_Shader (With Alpha Masking): In this one, it is the same shader as above, except I've added masking to the overall object... I found that i may running into an issue with both sides lit at the same time :(. That is a bummer. And even modeling the shape with thickness may not help much.

NOTE: If you are modeling clothes with a TINY thickness, set the CULL model to BACK... seems to work for me...i will test this further...

Here is the shader on a full character... can't wait to use it on another model...

And another capture with the eye shader that is designed to give the model a nice glint... (notice the eyes, the shiny part is another object around the eye ball...). I will upload that shader soon...

Enjoy

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  22. qw_zzz

qw_zzz

hi,

awesome editor u got there.

i got a question how to create a shader like this shading on a iphone? shading like this

i know it has something to do with the cubemap frensnel, any ideas?

thanks

23. Tinfoilfez

Tinfoilfez

Stramit,

Have you by chance been able to take a look at the screengrab issue, where the image is upside down? I downloaded your new editor and it appears to still have that issue. Thanks

24. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's on my list for the weekend :)

25. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

3.2b - Added a license / Minor bug fix

Some of the users require a license, so one has been added. It can be found in the Documentation directory. You should read it over, it is quite lax though. ;)

Contributers
    Stramit
    Texel

Documentation
    Remember to check out Texel's documentation here.
    Planet tutorial by Clamps here

From Clamps' Planet Tutorial

Donation
    This project is free for all members of the community. If you are a big studio, or really enjoy using the Shader Editor and would like to donate towards the project we would really appreciate that, the cost of software purchases needed to make this has added up. You can donate via paypal by clicking here.

Download
    Click the link at the bottom this this post to download.

Upgrading Notes
    Before upgrading please remove Strumpy Shader Editor 3.1 from your project. All of the shader editor files have been moved around and tidied up and it is important to have a clean work area. Back up / move any graphs you would like to keep before deleting SSE 3.1.

Please back up all of your graph files before upgrading. Graphs from Strumpy Shader Editor 3.1 should be compatible with 3.2 with no modification. If this is not the case contact us immediately either via this thread or PM. Please include a copy of the graph. We do not foresee any issues though.

Roadmap
    Beta 3.3 - 3.x
    • Advanced Lighting Sub Graph
    • Fallback Support
    • LOD Support

Asking for help with shaders
    If you need any help with the shader editor or shaders in general ask away here. We will help where we can!

Bugs
    It is inevitable that some bugs have slipped though the cracks for this release. If you run into any issues at all post in this thread. The more issues you report the more we can fix. We want this tool to be as usable as possible so any / all feedback is welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  26. Tinfoilfez

Tinfoilfez

Ok, no worries. Thanks for looking into it.

27. ProD

ProD

Hi guys,

I'm using Unity 3.1 Pro version and I'm trying to implement and HDR example. I just want to know if anyone has fought against ARGBHalf textures... any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ProD

28. qw_zzz

qw_zzz

no help at all?

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I have a complex situation here... I am trying to work on some NI_Shader presets, and one of these shader presets is metal... how could I make it look metallic without the use of a cubemap?

30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Seems like the link to the documentation is not working right.

31. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I am away for the weekend and will not be able to look until I get home, but the docs are also included with the download in the 'documentation' folder once you have installed the package.

32. turbo889

turbo889

hey guys,

this shader editor is really awesome.

I'm having one issue, but I'm almost positive its just because I've messed something up.
    anyway I'm having trouble setting up my alpha maps properly.

I'm taking the alpha channel of my diffuse and sticking it directly into alpha.
    When I turn on transparency in the main shader menu and export my whole model starts to look really weird like so:

The only way I can get my alpha to work is by plugging it into clip with transparent off and this causes a really jagged, flat transparency shown here:

if anyone else has encountered this issue please let me know.

33. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I haven't seen this issue before. It looks like you have backfaces being rendered in front of front faces. Make sure that backface culling is turned on in the master pixel node. If that doesn't fix the issue post the shader and I'll see what I can do when I have a look at it.

34. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I was about to ask how you made this shader. I thought it was deliberate. Looks like painted concept art. I'm guessing you don't think it looks all that cool.

35. metareact

metareact

Could someone show how to make an outline (like in cartoon shader)?

Thanks

36. turbo889

turbo889

haha, i guess it does look kinda cool, though I don't know that you would think so if you saw it in real time.

anyway, essentially what is happening is my entire model is becoming somewhat transparent. I'm trying to just get the parts that I want to be transparent to be transparent.

37. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Normally when you do something like this you split the model into seperate mesh's / materials for the transparent / non transparent sections. It makes the rendering faster and stops the whole model needing to be in the transparent pass. Did you check the backface culling state?

38. turbo889

turbo889

I've set culling to off, I'm not sure why I assume I just played with it and found out that worked best.
    If there is a certain setting i should use lease let me know, but I think I'll just go with seperate meshes, that should probably work.

thanks again.

39. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Set culling to back!

40. rahuxx

rahuxx

Hi stramit,

I have some issue with anti aliasing in deferred lighting ( i know it is from unity side), but your shader is not fully supporting forward rendering. I am getting flickering edges in final exe when using deferred lighting mode which is quiet less in forward. Is there any way to improve quality of my final exe by adding any node in the shader or will your shader fully support forward rendering.
    thanks in advance
    rahu

41. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I am not sure that these issues are caused by the shader editor. Forward rendering is fully supported and all the indie users of the shader editor use forward rendering with no trouble.

When you say 'flickering edges' what do you mean? It's very hard to diagnose potential issues if I don't have a shader graph / screenshots ect to work with, it could be caused by a range of things. I know from experience that both deferred and forward rendering using shaders from SSE should work properly as we use it exclusively for one of our projects; but that's not to say you have no identified a possible bug. I just need more information.

42. warby

warby

i am trying to make a shader/material that scrolls horizontally in steps !
    like it offsets "v" by 0.25 every second or every 60 frames.

is that currently possible what nodes would i use for this ?!

/edit GOT IT ^^ i love using this thing ! if anybody cares:

i multiplied "time" with a speed "range" that the user can tweak the output goes through a "floor" node which i multiply with a "const" of 0.03125(1/32 that is the amount of steps i want across my texture ! )
    that result goes into the time in on my "uv_pan" DONE =D

another question though i would like to be able to expose that const to the users as well is that possible with some node i dont know ?!

/edit: thanks !

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  43. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hey stramit, is there any node to rotate uv?

Edit: uhh.....sorry kinda lost here, did i already ask you about this before??? I Forgot dude sorry XD

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  44. stix

stix

Hi

I need a little help.How can i create total invisible shader with grab sampler? If i write a code manually its work but SSE not work.

I try: GrabSampler and FullMesUV1 to Tex2D, and Tex2D RGBA chanel to Albedo.

Sry my bad english.

45. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

If you have a look at the distortion shader that's included that uses a grab sample and works.You should probably use the 'normalized screen position' node instead of the MeshUV.

46. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Currently you can do this using manual matrix multipolication, but it's not nice. I'll include a prebuilt texture rotate node next time.

47. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Yep! Instead of using consts there are input paramaters. These can be changed by the user in the material. Some examples are float input, range input, color input. Have a look in the list of input nodes :D

48. stix

stix

49. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

50. noradninja

noradninja

I am working on an NPR outline shader. I more or less have the appearance I want, but I have an issue.

I am using a normal map to modulate the fresnel detection so I can get paint stroke like effects. The problem is, when I do this, I am getting weird draw order issues. The object gets drawn behind everything else in the scene.

In this picture, you can see the issue clearly:

The fox is drawn behind every other object (and in fact, all the white parts are transparent, even though there is no transparency in the shader).

Is there a way to force the normal map to not take A (or RGBA) into account in the Albedo? Am I doing something horribly wrong here?

Also, the way I have this set up now, there are weird color variations at the edges of the cutoff for the fresnel:

Is this because of how I am modulating the fresnel? I thought the Sign node would clamp the values to 0 or 1, am I misunderstanding that?

And, finally, how would I combine this effect with a texture map for the model (that way I can have say a diffuse map as well as the outline)? I have tried plugging this node group into Emission but it will not let me have a black outline if I do it that way.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks for the great tool, I have been with Unity since first public release and have been dying for something like this for a looong time :D