Search Unity

USB or Bluetooth Game Controllers for Mac?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DocSWAB, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

I'm thinking of buying a console-style game controller for using with Mac and PC games (running under BootCamp).

Would anyone like to recommend a particualr brand or model of controller that works with the Mac as well as PC, and has been durable, etc. (Some Logitech Gamepads are apparently flimsy).

Thanks!

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

I don't know how well it works on mac, but I really like the XBox 360 controller to be honest. I am sure other people here can give you better advice, but I thought I'd share my $0.02 ;-)

-Jeremy

3. drJones

drJones

i'm for the 360 controller as well - it feels very nice is quite rugged - though i personally haven't gotten the main (bottom) triggers to work yet with the latest driver. i'm doing other things now so i'm not sure if that was resolved or not.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5563

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Logitech Rumblepad II has been working perfectly for us...

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yep, same here, no driver problems either. Well, except the rumble doesn't work on OS X.

--Eric

6. Morgan

Morgan

Rumblepad 2 here as well--it's the unit I chose after reading many Mac reviews. It seems extremely durable though I don't use it often. By contrast, Saitek pads feel cheap to me. Maybe it's all that silver paint!

I look forward to OS X adding rumble support... one day...

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

You mean it doesn't already? I'll have to double check, but I was sure that I had a Mac utility that turned the rumble on and off... maybe I'm wrong. At any rate, Unity doesn't support it so it's moot.

8. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

My understanding is that there is a Force Feedback Library in in OS X, but that other Mac users report that not many games use it out of the box.

9. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry to jump in late here, but isn't "force feedback" entirely different than controller-rumble capability?

10. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

I'm sure you're right Tom. The Force Feedback thing came up in conjunction with a driver that was written for using the XBox controller on a Mac.

In general, it sounds like the basic controller functions work on Mac, but the extras don't seem to for very many games.

Thanks for the clarification.

11. jeremyace

jeremyace

Force-feedback uses a set of actuators and motors to provide counter forces on specific axis' (stiff wheel turning on pavement as opposed to mud in a racing game, stiff vertical control in a flying game at high g's etc), while a rumble pack is simply an electric motor with an offset metal disk that is rotated at different speeds to produce the vibration.

HTH,
    -Jeremy