Search Unity

When the dialog is disabled, does default always override?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by imaginaryhuman, Jul 28, 2010.

1. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Ok so I'm playing with the settings which are stored in the registry. I have an external application which modifies the registry to change a) the width of the Unity app, b) the height of the Unity app, and c) whether it is in fullscreen mode.

The only problem is, as soon as the Unity app runs (with the resolution dialog disabled), it overwrites the registry entries with the `default settings` as set up in the Unity editor. I'm not sure what the point is of Unity writing the config file when there is no resolution dialog being displayed, and it has all the default settings in the Unity application already? Does it ever read that file without the dialog being present, or is it just leftover coding from when the dialog IS present (ie it always writes the preference file no matter where the prefs come from)?

Anyway.... I was hoping that if I change the registry entries it would cause the Unity app to start up with the resolution and full/window mode I choose externally. But alas it seems like the Unity app keeps overwriting my changes to the config and going with the defaults.

Is this normal or is there a way to get Unity to READ from the registry file when it exists already and use the settings from it? Or will it only do that when the resolution dialog is enabled?

If worst comes to worst I may have to create two versions of my Unity app just so that it can start in the mode I want. But IF it's a worst case scenario, then there is no way to startup unity in a variety of modes - you'd have to wait for it to launch in the old mode and then switch resolution in a script, which is highly undesireable for my purposes.

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Seems to me the default settings override any previous settings.

When the Unity app is run, without a dialog, it writes the default settings to the registry.

When the Unity app is run with shift held to make the dialog show, it temporarily writes the resolution settings chosen to the registry but the next time the app is run with shift held it doesn't read the previous choices.

So no go. I'll have to create two separate Unity apps with different settings. Oh well.

3. Mestroyer

Mestroyer

This is holding me back as well. I would like to see a way to set the resolution that a game starts in from an ingame script.

4. Aburdic

Aburdic

This problem is an unnecessary hinderance for me as well

5. Selene

Selene

This issue still seems to be a problem. Did anyone find a workaround, or something that might work in this situation?

6. khan-amil

khan-amil

Well, seems like Unity4 didn't fix that...

7. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

I'm having this issue right now.