Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubloon Unity Library for Virtual Goods Management

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Doubloon, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Doubloon

Doubloon

We know that many of you have decided to start using virtual goods in your games as a great way to monetize. Awesome choice! You need a catalog / store to manage those virtual goods and balancing the virtual goods economy is a huge part of your success. The big question is how you will price your goods ... ask a friend or consultant or simply iterate until you get it right?

Doubloon www.virtualdoubloon.com enables virtual economy creators to sell and trade virtual goods at optimal prices for the publisher. We're a bit different from other systems designed virtual goods markets, because we offer more than the virtual goods store management; we offer market metrics to help you price your goods just right, and automatic, dynamic pricing your goods to find the optimal price.

Doubloon has a 5 minute integration video to show you what it would take to get started with our Unity library here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANX7X17k0g

Contact us at www.virtualdoubloon.com to register and start using Doubloon in your games. We would love to receive your feedback!

Cheers - John at Doubloon

2. Ethan

Ethan

Hi there,

i have a few questions:
    - How do you transfer the credits one bought in lets say paypal to a valid gamer account?
    - Is it possible to integrate this credit-buying stuff on my game's homepage and not on doubloon?
    - What does your service cost?

Thanks
    Ethan

3. ericgonzalez

ericgonzalez

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for checking it out. Responses to your questions:

- We support a number of payment providers, so it's just a matter of taking your provider and signing in using our platform in the administrative settings section. It's business as usual then. Your payment provider would still keep the billing info, just like they do now.

- Yes. We know how important branding is to your games, so we're completely whitebox. In other words, you can sell in game or on your website. Doubloon works in the background.

- Please sign up for a test account at www.virtualdoubloon.com - should give you all the pricing options there.

One more thing: we'll be at Gamescom in Koln, so if you're planning on going, we hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Eric

4. DukeOfDesmo

DukeOfDesmo

Hi Eric,

In an MMO environment where the user might choose to trade either in-game earned points or real world money for new assets, using your system how would implement something like that?

5. Ethan

Ethan

Hi again,

here my feedback after signing up and giving it some minutes:
    - i saw a setting in "profile": "Payment Provider" what do i need them for?
    - you should write notes behind quite all input fields with a small explanation, because i felt a little bit lost with some inputs. example: inventory item settings "tracking number" - ok, "uses" - whats that?, "number" - whats the difference to tracking number??
    - again i dont find notes to the cost of this service
    - why is there a catalog and an inventory when you also have the option to put an item to published or non published?
    - can i create the doubloon useraccounts per php if users are signing up for my game?
    - i want a FAQ sections ;)

cheers thanks in advance
    ethan

6. ericgonzalez

ericgonzalez

Hi Duke,

In short, Doubloon's system handles it for you. We do provide multiple currency support (earned and paid for example). You can elect to sell virtual goods for either or both - just mark which currencies purchase the item.

7. DukeOfDesmo

DukeOfDesmo

Sounds like you've got that covered! I'll definitely look into using Doubloon as a solution.

On another note, your system seems really simple but it's not very informative. The demo video shows that it is very easy to integrate into unity (very cool btw) but there seems to be very little in the way of documentation with regards to administration. I made an account to have a nosey around and find out what the cost of your service is (as you suggested) but I was instantly confused by what I was looking at. I still have no idea how much it costs or how it's paid for. Though, admitedly, it may be because I haven't much experience with this kind of system.

Thanks for the quick response!

8. ericgonzalez

ericgonzalez

Hello right back to you !

First, thank you! It's awesome you took the time to list out some of your obeservations, which we'll take to heart and make improvments. So on to the list here..

- A payment provider is the payment processor - the company providing the routing and processing of payments of the transactions related to offers (i.e. someone tries out a magazine subscription, you get paid a commission for the sale, for example). This could be credit card, mobile, offers, or direct bill. If you have an account with a provider already, you can use it if we support that provider. If you do not, we can act as the merchant of record for you if you'd like - that means you do not have to deal with the issues around payments.

- Thanks for the feedback on notes. We're working on this right now to make this a bit easier (also going to rename a few fields due to similar feedback from some of our clients on the system). I hope we can run it by you to see what you think :)

- I wonder if the pricing schedule page is not displaying.. can you please email me your registration email? I'm egonzalez@virtualdoubloon.com

- we're updating php docs as well. I'll make sure to get you those as soon as they're done via email also.

- FAQ is coming in a few days too :) Any other things we should include? Suggestions are welcome!

Thank you again!

9. ericgonzalez

ericgonzalez

My pleasure and thanks for taking the time to check us out. FAQ is coming soon which should help a bunch. Sorry that the docs are a bit light right now. We'll get that covered shortly.

Feel free to drop any questions here in this forum post or hit me up at egonzalez@virtualdoubloon.com and I'll help out pronto.

Thanks again and Cheers!

10. Ethan

Ethan

Where should the pricing schedule be? Perhaps i am just blind 8)

I dropped you a mail like you wanted.
    Hope to see some pricing and payment details soon, since this is very important information, isnt it? ;)

Service looks cool so far, i tested the unity integration. Very simple :)

11. ericgonzalez

ericgonzalez

Wonderful! Thank you for the kind words. Our engineers high fived each other in the hall when they read it :)

We'll be updating pricing on the website which pulls up after you sign up - sorry about the mixup there. I'll provide you with that pricing here through. Our pricing revenue share on the payments processed through the system and a flat fee API access. There are no set-up fees, extra licensing fees, or any kind of hidden support fees. While we're in our release stage, we've dropped the pricing to 3-8% of transaction totals (depending on volume) and a $200 fee for API access. That will change at the end of October, but your pricing stays the same if you sign up before then. Our revenue share does not cover payment processing though, which is separate, and the API fees do not apply until you publish.

Hope that helps and thanks again!

12. appels

appels

why do we have to sign up for a test account to see the pricing ?

13. ericgonzalez

ericgonzalez

Hi appels,

Thanks for checking in. The pricing is above, but we're also asking that people check out the product and get pricing at the same time so you know what you're getting should you decide Doubloon is right for you. :)

Thanks for checking us out!