Search Unity

Cinema 4D - Baking Object/Triangulation

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by patranus, Jul 23, 2010.

1. patranus

patranus

I gave my employees the day off today and while doing so paperwork I decided to try my had at a simple object in Cinema 4D.

I have a simple model

the problem is that when i bake it, Cinema 4D doesn't bake the texture as one "sheet" and then lays it over the object. Instead, it bakes the object as each polygon creating triangulation/black lines on the model when I import it into Unity.

Yes, I did a google search and didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks.

2. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

Solution for seems is to have enough padding in your texture and then "bleed" your texture (so the edges around your triangles are not black) - this can be done in Photoshop by simply bluring your lightmap and putting blured version as a layer bellow your original one.

I'm not familiar with Cinema4D enough to tell you if there is a better solution.

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

If you're going to bake the texture there's two major things to take care of ...

1. Be sure to NOT USE OPTIMAL MAPPING in case you've already created a UV Map. Optimal mapping always creates an automatic unwrap kinda like the AUV tiles in ZBrush. It's spaced evenly and doesn't have overlaps but it also isn't usable for manual editing later on. It's mainly for lightmaps or rapid tests.
    2. As Pulius already mentioned - increase the edge padding around the borders of the uv. That setting can be found in "Tag" > "Pixelborder" (just below 'supersampling') in the Bake texture tag.

The smaller your texture map will be rendered the more important a pixelborder gets! for small files small settings like 2 or 3 are enough. For larger files you might want to consider 5 - 10 px if you've got the space. It doesn't hurt to have it there and it's way more anoyying to try and get it there manually in the end.

Make sure to also read through the Help file for the tag. There's lots of useful things there!

Another thing to kep in mind: Set up your phong tag properly. Bake texture reads out the phong angle so if you set it too low all your soft edges around the border might seem hard.

Hope that helped.