Search Unity

My Unity Shooter Engine - new update 1.5!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by _Slava, Jul 12, 2010.

1. _Slava

_Slava

UPDATED: Current version - 2.0 for unity 3.xx

Webplayer First Person Building Demo (31Mb): http://the3daction.com/unity-shooter-engine/fps-building-demo

Webplayer Third Person Building Demo (31Mb): http://the3daction.com/unity-shooter-engine/tps-building-demo

Very big update. Mostly all scripts were reworked. In the new version I have fixed main project's problems - third person person player now has no jitter, added a blending between aimed and normal states of Player (aim and fire animations moved to locomotion groups). I still keep a version of this PlayerAnimation script with aim and fire upper body animations - because it requires less animations.

You can load any previous level from menu. Any level item in the "Load game" menu can have a thumbnail and a description. All gameprogress will be saved now - Player health, lives, all weapons, bullets, clips, enemies killed, score and so on.

You can add Intros in LevelStatus script. Movies or cameras (animated or not) can be used for it. You can make intro levels. Intros can be started on level start, or at any time using Trigger script. You can add any number of cameras in the level now and turn them on using Trigger script for example. (Or use function ChangeCamera(gameObject) in LevelStatus script for your own scripts).

Underwater system. Underwater damage for Players and all AIs. New "Oxigen" bar for both Players. If "Max Underwater Time" param is exceeded for AI - it will stop hunting and will try to get off the water. Movement speed decreased in water. No footprints and footstep sounds in water. No falling damage if water level more then character height. "WaterInteractions" script can be added to Players/AIs and used for water particle effects and to check "inWater"/"underWater" states, but in advanced mode can be used for ragdolls/rigidbodies effects. It is simple and it is not real buoyancy script, so you can use another buoyancy script for ragdolls/rigidbodies instead. "UnderwaterEffects" script, if placed in the scene, switches underwater effects for any active camera.

Little changes to HeadLookController script. HeadLookController's segments now divided into two types - "used for aiming" or not. Effect for every segment now can be changed individually. Because of it, TPS Player now can look along his camera direction when he is in not aimed state, and also can look at nearest enemy (if any in his seek range). All AIs can look at his enemies too for now.

Player now has droppable weapons. Added "Max Carried Weapons" param. Player should drop any weapon to pickup a new one, if already he has maximum of them.

TPS Player now can climb ladders and use Jumppads too.

Player and all AIs now use standard Character Motor instead of locomotion's one. It is now a little extended - I have added a function for platform game controls for it. So, speed on slopes can be clamped for all of them, but support for moving platforms, sliding still available only for Players yet (these animations can be assigned).

Very enhanced fire animations (for both players and armed enemies). Fire animations now work in sinc with the gun scripts. Added "Shot Delay" parameter to gun scripts, so for now gun scripts can be used for hand grenades for example.

Reworked AI scripts - AI movements, logic (Friendly AI now trying not to lose the Player), shooting for armed enemies. Animal AI now can retreat. Added two params for it - retreat probability and retreat distance. Armed AIs can use ArmIK script for their left hands positioning (with same params as Player has).

Reworked Pickup script. Added simple "Score" type of pickup.

Reworked death camera.

Both Players and all AIs can have regenerating health. You can set speed of the regenerating.

See new demos! I used old building scene for new demos. The scene divided into three parts to demonstrate "Load game" menu. It will be shown only if you already have at least one level done.

AI scripts use A* Pathfinding project 3.0.

Old links to the demos below was deleted already. See latest List of Features here: http://the3daction.com/

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi! My UNITY SHOOTER ENGINE 1.0 now available. It contains the necessary scripts and prefabs for quickly shooter creating. Now you can create shooters without any scripting!

Webplayer Terrain Demo(24Mb): http://the3daction.com/unity-shooter-engine/terrain-demo

Webplayer Building Demo(26Mb): http://the3daction.com/unity-shooter-engine/building-demo

You can get U.S.E here: http://the3daction.com

LIST OF FEATURES:

CHARACTER MODELS

1. Easy adding new characters to game - as minimum requirement, your character must have four animations: run, idle, aim and shoot. But it will look best if your character have all animations needed - two sets of animations for pistol and machineguns - run, walk, idle, aim, shoot, reload, change weapon, and also additional ones for some actions (for hands and bomb deactivating).

2. You can import your characters, who already have weapons attached, or the weapons can be imported into Unity separately.
    You can simply add or remove any weapon for your character prefabs.

3. You can only have one prefab for the identical enemies that have a difference only in the weapons (and only have one ragdoll prefab of couse). On level start or enemy or ragdoll instanciating, required weapon will be selected automatically.

WEAPONS

4. In shooter engine, you can use two universal weapon scripts - first script uses rigidbody bullets and gravity set on. You can use it for weapons with ballistic trajectory (and I think, for all player weapons).
    Second script does not use rigidbody bullets. It is more suitable for enemy weapons.

5. All weapons use light sourse and particle effect for muzzle flash. Also weapons have near and far shoot sounds, empty and reload sounds, empty hulls, adjustable inaccuracy (inaccuracy will grow with every shot), and can have optical scope. Every weapon can have its own crosshair.

6. Bullets. Player and his enemies can shoot through objects (a glass for example). Bullets can have ricochets. For objects with different tags, for every tag bullet has its own particle impact set, bullet hole set, and set of impact sounds (they will play randomly). You can select an explosion to the bullet, or set an impact force and damage of a bullet. Also, every bullet can have set of whizby sounds, played randomly.

7. Explosions check objects for visibility, so for visible or invisible objects damage and force applied differently.

LEVELS

8. Player can exit level in case: player has opened all doors, or (in case - need to kill all enemies) all enemies killed, or (in case - you have some items on the level) all items found. You can use one or combination of those cases on your level. Also, player can use trigger object to end level, otherwise level will end at once if one of the cases completed.
    After game level, score level will loaded to show number of enemies killed, level and total score and so on.

AI

9. You can use AI system - enemy AI, friendly AI (can be used also for unarmed characters, e.g. hostages), animal AI (depends on tag, animal can be enemy or friendly). All AI scripts use Locomotion System by Rune Skovbo Johansen - http://unity3d.com/support/resources/unity-extensions/locomotion-ik and A* pathfinding by Aron Granberg - http://arongranberg.com/unity/a-pathfinding/.
    Also, I include in the package modified Orb AI script from official 3d person shooter demo project. Now it is compatible with other AI scripts, and has three states - idle, fight, search and finds path between the three, not two points. Now it is well oriented even inside buildings. I think, it can be used for a variety of enemies - ghosts, flying monsters and so on.
    Player, all enemies or friends comment on everything that happens.Player and friendly AI can talk when they're away from their enemies.

CAMERA

10. First person/third person view camera. Plus additional views - view down sight or (if weapon has it) view through optical scope. In game settings, you can set on or off ability to change distance of the camera with mouse scroll. Also, in the game settings you can choose type of controls. You can use platform controller for third person view and FPS controller for other views or use only FPS controller.

OTHER FEATURES

11. All movable objects sounds. Blood or water footprints for all characters. Blood pools. Blood sprays and stains on the walls and the floor. Slow motion script. Player can fight with hands.
    Also I include in the pack 3ds max .bip file with all my new Hero animations.

Before first run of U.S.E, you need copy to this project A* Pathfinding script files! I did not include them in the package. However, the AI scripts require these scripts to work! See readme file included.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. _Slava

_Slava

and...

Attached Files:

3. impheris

impheris

nice man, is a really nice project thank you :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  4. tatelax

tatelax

This is sweet!

5. gl33mer

gl33mer

Happy surprise, sweet indeed. :)

I can see how Unity were counting on community/3rd party to bring in some glorious functionality.

Very nice.

6. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Not to put a downer on this but are you allowed to sell this? I heard sounds from Half-life 2 (health pickup and ammo pickup) and the level looks like it might have been from Mirror's Edge. Hopefully I'm mistaken because this is a nice package but I don't see paying $50 for a package that just combines free stuff already available. Are there extra scripts written just for it?
    (just being a skeptic here)

7. _Slava

_Slava

These sounds not included in the pack, as well as I used other weapons for the Hero. I use them only in the demo, and I think, there is no loss of profit to the Valve... Is there a need to change them in the demo too?

It took a lot of time searching and making sounds. Some sounds, I even recorded on my mobile phone)). A lot of sounds I got from YouTube. Impact and shot sounds - from here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoiaNLJnZo

Thanks for the compliment, I do architectural visualizations about 10 years))).
    http://www.osmosis.com.au/info/tutorials/studyhall_interior.htm - I just bake the textures here and I never thought that I would use them for realtime - the roofs are too bright...

Just look at the list of features in the first post :)

8. Artimese

Artimese

why does it take 3 minutes JUST to load.... and you die instantly while in combat, its like 2 hits then ur dead :/

9. mikevanman

mikevanman

very tempted,

what language are the scripts in ?

10. mikevanman

mikevanman

oh also whats the situation with updates (just thinking with U3 just round the corner)

11. Vert

Vert

Is it legal to rip sounds from youtube videos and other videos to use in game if its from something like CNN? I mean that link had some great sounds in it that I would like to use, but I question the legality of it.

Also, the demo is incredibly difficult. It seems to me to be built to kill the player without giving them a chance. Auto grenade launchers that get you in range when your back is turned up stairs? A turret too far off to the right when you reach the top of the stairs to see? It was all aggravating for me. Felt like nothing but cheap shots. However from the design and functionality standard, it works. I noticed some errors with crouching and walking on stairs as the model contorted a bit, along with the jump animation looking a little unnatural but it seemed functional.

12. mikesgames

mikesgames

thanks for the awesome project!

13. _Slava

_Slava

Artimese - When I complete the level, I still have 4-5 lifes...
    You need get AK at the start - get it from enemy on the left of the stairs - just need to walk to the health pack. Although the level of course too complicated, I will change it.

mikevanman - The purpose of the Shooter Engine - to make things as simple as possible, so I used Javascript, and even see no reason to rewrite it in to C#

After some marketing reflexions :) , I have decided to reduce the price to 25!

And you can always download the latest version from my site after purchase.
    I have just a ton of ideas, and only some of them yet implemented, so I will update U.S.E regularly.

For example, now I'm working on a new aim system. Since a player can have different weapons, and every player weapon has different dimensions, it is necessary for each weapon to use their own position for the left hand supporting.
    I am almost finished it, and it looks good...

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=40191 - my old topic, when I only started work on this.

14. MMO

MMO

I'm verry intrested in you're shooter engine but i'd like to see a scene with only the things i will get and be abel to use if I buy it.
    And would you make updates or lunch new products?

15. _Slava

_Slava

MMO - after purchase, you automatically receive download ID to download updates!

It looks quite similar, because anything basic it is not changed. On the contrary - I think to make another demo, for example on terrain. In a large space, many things will look differently, such as shooting a rifle with optical scope and ballistic bullets.

16. MMO

MMO

And one last question before I buy this.
    How often can you support us with updates and can you tell us what you have in mind for the future updates?

17. PLEO

PLEO

First of all I want to say that this is a think the unity community rely needed it so great job.
    I also want to ask a question...Will you offer some kind of support if the package isn't working or if we would like some guidance could you be up to the task?

18. _Slava

_Slava

When I'll update the package, I'll send an email to all registered users. Frequency of updates - as I wrote above, I have many ideas to improve the engine.

At the moment, I write a small user manual. How to import the characters, setting the AI, weapons, and so on..

19. maidamedia

maidamedia

Hello good work, but the demo is not visible with Internet explorer. Just to fix it.
    :D

20. _Slava

_Slava

My bad!!! The link to the demo was like a broken entire last 2-3 days! I forgot to change it to new file location!
    Already fixed. I installed the site about week ago, so it looks unfinished yet. But online store works OK! :)

21. maidamedia

maidamedia

not easy to play with.
    I die in a few seconds!!

22. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

23. hike1

hike1

no demo.(on IE 7) BTW, every unity web game is crashing firefox,
    sometimes on (attempted)exit, but usually before it
    even loads.

24. minevr

minevr

Cool!

shoot!!

25. AaronC

AaronC

Its pretty hard to play, and did I hear a Bjork song in there?

If it was easier I might be able to evaluate it, but something invisible kept killing me on the steps, so I just found it irritating.

I recommend you ditch everything of dubious copyright source and make it easier.

Cheers
    AC

26. tobiass

tobiass

Just wondering:
    The A* library required to run your package is free for non-commercial use but must be licensed for commercial use.
    It's technically not in the package you sell but I wonder if this is legal. And aside from legal: is it fair for Aron?

27. Dreamora

Dreamora

he doesn't sell it with it nor offer it as such its legal as it requires that anyone who wants to use it has his own legit license.

thats the base upon which middleware in the game sector has been building for a decade ... speedtree wouldn't exist without that (as many engines allow you to plug it in but don't come with it)

28. _Slava

_Slava

New Terrain Demo! (24Mb)
    http://the3daction.com/unity-shooter-engine/terrain-demo
    I use official Island Demo for this.
    Now the island is teeming with enemies. Many scripts was enhanced, and for many cases, I use new Mass Respawn script for enemies. It works like Serious Sam does. Enemy respawn rate increases over time. The player first does not understand what he is at the center of hellish meat grinder.
    Waypoints now groupped by name. Every respawn can use its own group of waypoints.
    Player can shoot seagulls. Eating seagulls makes player healther.
    Avoid fighting herons-mutants!
    Objective: find four artefacts.

Attached Files:

29. firelord

firelord

you said the price was 25 but went to your website and for the engine it said $40..just woundered..is this an engine in unity3d or just a scripts and prefabs

30. Jonyo

Jonyo

I would say the demo isnt an amazing example of it, The first person is very all over the place and the 3rd person model is rather terrible.

I know we shouldn't be looking at this as we can change everything in it, But it isn't very good for looks.

31. The_Jx4

The_Jx4

Yep.

32. _Slava

_Slava

I found - joomla changes unity's html code on my demo-pages. (it tries to format it maybe). So, I make alternate links to original html page on the bottom of page with demo.

It was in Jule. I wrote about this on my site.

I'm not animator. I made some animations needed, but I know, them looks not good.
    Skinning needs to be improved also, I live it as is.
    I use only minimum of animations available (walk, run, aim, shoot, reload) - for example, Hero have not waiting animations, as all my AI have. They can be played (with own sound for each of them), if player does not touch any buttons for some time. And I use part of reload animation for change weapon.

Today I have modified my camera script - added camera offset (old orbit camera allows only player to be centered on the screen).

950 bullets per min:

Attached Files:

33. Hogfather

Hogfather

Is that the coyote model from the locomotion system bundle?

34. ninjadingo

ninjadingo

Most likely purchasing later today.

35. _Slava

_Slava

Today I upload new version 1.5 for Unity 3.0.
    You can see new demo here: http://the3daction.com/unity-shooter-engine/building-demo-1-5

New camera - with player offset, added new view mode - "Zoom" (Middle MB), new aim system - now position for Player's left hand can bee adjusted for every weapon, new enemy Mass respawn script, other things...

Attached Files:

36. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Picking up does not work? An enemy dropped something but I cant seem to get it

37. _Slava

_Slava

Soldier has no pistol, so he can't pick up pistol ammo. I did not disable it yet. Maybe, I will add a pistol to the soldier later. Or, maybe, you already had max ammo for this ammo type (5 clips for ak and m4, 8 grenades for m203 and gp25)

And I think to make new terrain demo, using Bootcamp terrain, but containing enemies. I know already, how to make enemies use cover.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  38. rockysam888

rockysam888

In the terrain demo, the shadow is not anti-aliasing. Could you change it?

39. _Slava

_Slava

In menu graphics settings, you can increase the quality (I set it simple by default). And I did not use CharacterShadow script in that demo to enhance player shadow quality.

40. elias_t

elias_t

Allright. The demo 1.5 convinced me and I just bought your engine. I will give feedback as soon as possible.
    Good Job!

41. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

1st person camera is 3rd person camera but attached to player model's neck, thus sometimes it creates strange effects when player model does crazy stuff

42. elias_t

elias_t

@_Slava.

I bought and downloaded the engine.

When opening the project I got several errors because I have not maya installed. Is maya a prerequisite?

When I press play on the menu and on Level 1 I get errors, nothing happens and I have to close unity with alt+f4.

Please give some advice ...

Also a list of what media we can't use would be good.

43. elias_t

elias_t

_Slava.

After I build the game I am able to play it in the editor. But if I exit and reopen in the editor sometimes it crashes giving me the following error:

Also the gun of the player and the friendly ai are untextured.

Otherwise it seems that you made a lot of work.

I believe that if you write a small documentation page people will be easier to adapt it.

44. _Slava

_Slava

This is nothing to worry about. When you started, unity reimports all assets - this error happens only first time when unity reimport models.
    One main thing you need to know - every scene must contain GameStatus script - it loads with StartMenu scene for all scenes without deleting when next scenes loaded (StartMenu scene contains GO with this script). This script contains many of game settings and your game progress during gameplay.
    If you want play any level directly in editor without starting StartMenu scene, simple add GameStatus script to any non-distructable GO in that scene.
    I never get this error yet. Line 224 - about jumping animation.
    I will fix it today and will notify you by email. I have too little tested this project in 3.0. Thanks for finding this error.
    I have no errors during all gameplay - sometimes pathfinding sends warnings "Target point outside any grid" - it happens only on the stairs, but pathfinding 2.52 works more stable then any previous version I had noticed already....
    This has been discussed earlier in this thread - I can't include some copyrighted content in my project...

45. elias_t

elias_t

_Slava thanks for the quick reply.

Also I get a crash when i use the mouse wheel to change the gun. It finds no other gun and crashes. I guess it's nothing important but the script should have some protection when not finding another gun ...

46. _Slava

_Slava

Not crash, "array out of range" error - I forgot about it, I always put off that script for later, now it fixed!
    Fixed!
    Yes, when in first person, camera is child of head bone. The head was not affected when player aim up and down. Now it does, I already remade the player prefab and upload new demo. Now it looks better already. Also, I plan to turn off a rotation of player's head left and right when in first person view (but now it has not been done).
    Yes!)))

I have already uploaded the updated archive with U.S.E on my site.

47. elias_t

elias_t

Thanks _Slava that was quick.
    Keep up the good work!

48. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Would be nice if you replaced teammate with a soldier model otherwise sometimes I don't know who to shoot.
    Also, enemies don't seem to respawn.

49. Richardanthony

Richardanthony

i love the camera system. and the movement animation and gameplay is tripple A! i have a concept for a tactical close quarter combat simulator game and this package would fit the game concept quite well well. dose this work with unity indie and blender?

50. elias_t

elias_t

Some comments about the a* library. It is better to install the "allRequiredAssets2_5.unitypackage" instead of manually copying the scripts.

Also if you do this first you can just install over the "allRequiredAssets2_8b.unitypackage" and upgrade the a* lib to 2.8 beta flawless.

This engine has a lot of potential and I am really excited about it.

_Slava, how easy is it to add some rpg, handgranade scripts?