Search Unity

Vector3.Angle()

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Maker16, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Maker16

Maker16

This function gives you the angle in degrees from one vector to another. Problem is, it doesn't account for one continuous direction of rotation. If I rotate one of the vectors all the way around a given axis, the angle between the two will increase to 180, then decrease back to zero. I want to get a representation of an angle that will range from 0 to 359. How do I do that?

DonPuno likes this.
  2. andeeeee

andeeeee

You can use the code in this thread to determine whether one vector is to the left or the right of another, given a third vector specifying the upward direction. If the vector is to the left of the reference vector, then subtract the result of Vector3.Angle from 360º to get a continuous angle:-
    Code (csharp):
    1. function ContAngle(fwd: Vector3, targetDir: Vector3, upDir: Vector3) {
    2.     var angle = Vector3.Angle(fwd, targetDir);
    4. //The AngleDir function is the one from the other thread.
    5.     if (AngleDir(fwd, targetDir, upDir) == -1) {
    6.         return 360 - angle;
    7.     } else {
    8.         return angle;
    9.     }
    10. }

3. MrVerdoux

MrVerdoux

I do it following the mathematic definition of a scalar product between two vectors (it works to me).

float angle = Mathf.Acos(Vector3.Dot(vector1, vector2));

Edit: now I understand your doubt... I guess you could use an auxiliar vector defined orthogonal to vector1 and vector2 (let's call it vector3), and then use two Dot products.

if Vector3.Dot(vector1, vector3) > 0, angle is between 0 and 180.

if Vector3.Dot(vector1, vector3) < 0, angle is between 180 and 360.

Redit: That thing I said was stupid because the dot product would be zero because of my definition of vector3. The idea would be having a vector3 coplanar with vector1 and vector2. As it seems I'm not in my most acurate moment, I let you defining vector3 as you want... The idea of the two Dot products is still valid, while you define vector3 properly.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012